Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Tinnitus — Efficacy Debate

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Sen, Feb 24, 2013.

1. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      • Funny Funny x 2
    2. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      "In the corporate sector, between 2002 and 2004, Dr. Nagler was Vice President for Clinical Affairs at Neuromonics (then known as Tinnitech Ltd), and between 2010 and 2013, he was Director of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Services at General Hearing Instruments, Inc, where he helped develop wearable devices designed specifically for Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT)."

I think "I have no "affiliation with the medical industry."" is not exactly right.....

• Like Like x 3
    3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      In that case, could you please explain my before/after audiograms?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. SweetPeach

SweetPeach Guest

differense is minimal between before and after. inconclusive proof

look this http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0002889748507047

Abstract
      Results are given of an investigation into the reproducibility of audiograms, recorded by manual sweep-frequency audiometers. The standard deviation of a measured hearing level is 3 dB at 250 Hz up to 7 dB at 8000 Hz. To conclude from two audiograms that an actual increase in the hearing level has occurred at a given frequency, this increase must be at least 10 dB at frequencies below 4000 Hz, at least 15 dB at frequencies from 4000 to 6300 Hz, and at least 20 dB at 8000 Hz (5% confidence level), irrespective of whether the audiograms have been recorded by the same or by different audiometrists.

• Creative Creative x 1
    5. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I was going to say the same thing. How do you know those aren't just natural changes? Was it a different audiologist? Could there have been ear wax buildup? There are lots of reasons to see changes up to 10dbs. Maybe if you took more tests over time you would find the average right in between those two? Or maybe you already have, I don't know.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any particular reason you include a study of sweep frequency testing for a pure-tone audiogram?

I have a 25db hearing improvement at 8 kHz. Which is actually quite significant; the energy carried by a sound wave doubles for every 3db. Of course there is a limit to how much my hearing can improve given that all of my speech frequency hearing is within stage-I hearing loss - there is a physical limit to just how much a person's hearing threshold can be improved, after all.

Losing 25db of hearing threshold is a process that generally takes about 20 years for people who are not in NIHL environments. I reversed that hearing loss in two months.

Here is a person who initially had stage-I hearing loss: http://healingmenieres.wordpress.com/audiogram-results and who reversed 30db of hearing loss in approximately one year (at 250 Hz). So even if your referenced study was for pure tone audiometry, the results obtained would still be considered significant.

7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See this...

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-introduction.1862/#post-39035

...and this

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...aybe-we-can-know-more.3131/page-14#post-52050

8. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      How can you say is minimal?
      audigrams are everything except a "correct science", but when you gain 20db ( at 8 Mhz) in hearing, trust me you notice. My tv volume used to be on level 25, I can now ear it at 8/10 easily. At night time with silencie in the room I can even ear it at volume 1/2 and notice everything they say clearly.

Please check my audigrams, they are all made at the same places and same audimetrist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      Btw it is KHz. 1000 Hz = 1 KHz, 1000 KHz = 1 MHz :whistle:

10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. But to be perfectly correct it is actually kHz and not KHz...

11. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. This has also been the most surprising aspect of my experience ie. noticing how much better my hearing has become even though I had normal hearing to begin with and no problems following a conversation at normal speech levels.

However a 20-25db improvement in the upper speech frequency range has made a difference. That's for sure. The reason it is such a remarkable experience is because the reversal of hearing loss is a process which takes place relatively quickly (ie. 2 months or so...). So a person can really feel the difference - compared with the normal hearing loss process which would typically take about 20 years for 25db hearing loss. Hearing loss ususally takes place so very slowly that we don't notice it until the day when it becomes so bad that we actually cannot follow a conversation without having to ask people to repeat what they say...

• Like Like x 1
    12. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      As someone who has suffered from distorted hearing and chronic tinnitus for over seven years, I am willing to accept new ideas and treatments which may mediate suffering. My acoustic trauma has caused be a great deal of suffering over the years. It has certainly reduced my quality of life and it is only positive thinking that helps me get by each day.

I first saw a pamphlet on LLLT in my ENT's waiting room. I would like to run out and drop thousands on treatment; but I cannot afford to do so. For me, it is important to know that these therapies actually work.

As such, I've conducted some searches using my subscription to PubMed. I was interested in finding out if there is any efficacy in treating chronic tinnitus. Tinnitus was my article of interest, not hearing loss.

17 papers on LLLT for tinnitus relief. The lower the number; the most recent the study. I did not name studies; they are available on PubMed with a simple "Laser therapy tinnitus" search. 11 studies state that there is essentially no real benefit from the therapy other than a possible placebo effect. 6 studies state possible positive effects and support further investigation. This is simply my quick 10 minute analysis. It is by no means scientific; but it does give the reader an idea of the ambiguous nature of this treatment. It is by no means a definitive treatment, and while it may help one person it is completely possible, or even likely, that the next patient will see no benefit. Furthermore I find it interesting that in a few studies the benefit dissipated a few weeks after stopping LLLT. This may further suggest some sort of placebo effect.

I'm not out to hate on those doing LLLT. I just know that it is expensive, and that acupuncture or TRT or some other therapy may be money better spent. Or maybe even a trip to a beach resort in Cuba or Bali.

All said however, if it is working for you than continue to do it. Anything that alleviates suffering is a good thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Thanks @OptimusPrimed. Yes, it is a controversial treatment and your post is a timely reminder to newcomers that there is no guarantee of improving T with this approach. Everyone should be aware that this thread is in the 'Alternative Treatments and Research' section so it is not a mainstream therapy for T. Some studies have shown benefit some have not. Some people have reported improvements in their T with it and some have not. Some have presented evidence of impressive improvements in their hearing profile, as well as reporting improvements in their hyperacusis. But if anyone wants a guarantee of effectiveness they should definitely look elsewhere.

It is worth noting that most of those who reported benefits have invested huge amounts of time and effort (and expense of course). It is hard for a study or trial to reproduce this accurately as it depends on having only highly motivated and persistent participants. It is not as simple as getting people to take a course of medication for a set time. All of the available studies seem flawed or open to criticism in some way, from what I have gathered.

That said, this treatment has attracted extreme negative reactions in the past and what in my judgement looks a lot like intellectual dishonesty from those who set out to rubbish it. The evidence of this is available earlier in this thread - and also on the thread on the Yuku board where the level of bullying of those who reported benefits (as well as those who simply expressed curiosity and an open mind) was quite shocking to me. Please let's not go there again folks, now that interest in LLLT is roused again by the positive reports we have had recently. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      as a LLLT user I'm still sceptical about this therapy. If it would be a really successful therapy, why isn't there
      a seriouse double blind study available? Instead of forcing a study, many of the sellers tell you about conspiracy of the pharma against LLLT. It has some parallels to homeopathy. You won't find any successful double blind study, instead of proof you will also find many conspiracy stories.
      The concept of LLLT sounds very interesting, but there should be more interests to make some seriouse studies instead of selling overpriced devices to desperated people like us.
      Why should we pay 3000 US Dollars for 2 diodes of 30mW? Do you really think 2 diodes,2 fibercables,1 timer, 1 display and a simple integraded circuit costs that much? It's more like, get the most out of it in a financial aspect.

Greets Tom

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    16. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Thank you.

Any thoughts as to the role of "tincture of time" or to the psychological benefit conferred purely by virtue of the fact that rather than waiting for nature to take its course, you are "doing something?"

These are very difficult issues, and I am not trying to box you into a corner. Just wondering how you personally see it.

stephen nagler

17. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, when I developed tinnitus in late April, 2013, it wasn' getting any better. Starting on June 10th that year, I did the cold laser therapy with Dr. Wilden (your "arch enemy" :)) which did improve my hearing somewhat, but did little (if anything) for my tinnitus during that 8-week treatment period (June-July). I had hoped for more, but I also now - later on - recognize that predicting the exact amount of therapy needed can be difficult. So I have no grudge with Dr. Wilden, and in retrospect, I should have stayed with the treatment, I believe. Anyway... at the beginning of August, 2013, I decided to go for the stem cell treatment with the rejuvenation clinic in Bangkok. A month later, I had been visiting my Father in Switzerland. I was getting ready to drive back home to Leipzig and as I put my earplugs in for the 8-hour drive (I always protect my ears), I noticed that the tinnitus volume was somewhat lower. And I would say that that day pretty much marked the first day of my many months of improvements thereafter. However, due to 2nd thoughts on the treatment protocol the first stem clinic had used, I decided to go for another stem cell treatment in China (for a planned 500 million stem cells - a protocol I deemed important as the injections are done IV as opposed to being done directly into the cochlea which - if possible - would require much fewer stem cells). On my 2nd intercontinental flight from Europe to Asia around x'mas time 2013, I was again wearing earplugs for the 10-hour flight. And this time, I could still hear my tinnitus, but my ears were not "screaming" as they were when I did the same trip back in August. Was it the stem cells or the tincture of time? Hard to tell since comparative statistics cannot be performed on a one person sample. But here is what I do know: 3 weeks after I had returned home from China, I was still having some jetlag from the 3 weeks stay. I therefore woke up one night, and there was total silence inside my head. Total silence. Both in my left and right ear - the ear in which I have had tinnitus since birth. I now had confirmation that the noise I had always heard was not normal. The silence lasted 5-7 minutes. As the effect from the stem cells would "kick in" - a process that occurs over a period of 6 to 8 weeks - I would continue to have fleeting tinnitus and what can best be described as "auditory re-calibration" (as self-made up term, needless to say). I have estimated my improvement from the combined stem cell treatments to be about 50%. Was it the stem cells? I cannot prove it and - as a patient - it is not my job to do so either, but I am pleased that two other members of TinnitusTalk have confirmed similar experiences to myself:
      So for conditions such as tinnitus and hearing loss, stem cells are not necessarily a cure, and I have also "warned" against spending lots of money on something which is experimental:
      However, as a Dane living in Germany, I was, am, and continue to be not entitled to participate in clinical trials such as AM-101. And that's why I decided to become my own physician, instead. Actually, to be honest, I did not "decide" as such... I had no choice! My own primary care physician was - like most GPs - simply not up to the challenge of helping people afflicted with tinnitus. And so, to the best of my knowledge, I became the first person ever to go through two stem cell treatments as a patient with tinnitus as a primary symptom.

Lastly I should mention that the stem cells have (also) had a number of other benefits: my life-long childhood eczema is gone, my sense of smell has improved, my knee joints - after many marathons - are not aching in the mornings, and my autoimmune eye-condition is gone. Just recently, I read the following pubmed article...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25125599

...and as I read it, I remember smiling to myself thinking "Tell me something I didn't know..."

attheedgeofscience
      05/JAN/2015.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      April 2013? So if it is fair to say that you attribute your improvement over the ensuing year to this, that, and the other thing, would it also be fair to say that had you pretty-much done nothing, you might have experienced the same degree of tinnitus improvement due purely to "tincture of time" - just like most other folks who do nothing over the first year?

Don't get me wrong. I am not about to argue with your success, and as you know I applaud you in your dogged determination. Indeed, I greatly admire you in that regard. I'm just trying to look at the other side of the coin. The coin does have two sides, yes?

Wilden isn't my arch enemy. I would just like to see a single reliable and verifiable controlled study published in a legitimate juried scientific journal to back up his claims, specifically his tinnitus claims.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    19. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Stringplayer's First Law: Nobody who attained even minimal relief from tinnitus ever cared one iota whether or not that relief was attained through science.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

20. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      What is the point you are trying to make dr.Nagler?

21. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely. I cannot prove why I saw an improvement. And I have no intention of reliably trying to do so. That task belongs to the job profile of researchers and medical investigators (re: stem cells). However, I didn't have the time to wait 10 years before they come to a possible conclusion on such a topic. So I went ahead and did it myself.

Should I have chosen not to share the story? I don't think it makes sense to reflect on that. What matters is that what I experienced has been described accurately and objectively. People who read "my stuff" can then choose to use the information. Or not. All that matters to me - really - is that they come away with roughly the same experience that I did (should they decide to attempt the treatment). By "experience", I mean experience in relation to:
      • treatment protocol
      • pricing
      • competency of the medical staff
      • treatment outcome
      And that is why I am happy that there are now two other members of TT who can confirm what I have described.

Another reason why bringing information such as what I did to the Internet is because it is medical information which is difficult to come by. I will have to be brutally-self-centered-honest here for a minute: if an unproven stem cell treatment at a reputable clinic consists of 100 steps - including background research, medical documentation, correspondence, money transfer, logistics, time, and personal doubts - then most people would not make it past the first few steps. Fact. But now that I have done the hard work of showing how it can be done, it makes it so much easier for someone else to do the same. People no longer have to worry about whether clinic X, Y, or Z is legit or not - they already have that information; they also already know the "what, where, and who" of the clinic; they know the different treatment protocols used; they know the price range; they have an idea as to whether it is safe or not. All pretty important pieces of information if you ask me.

In terms of providing "evidence", I have shared what I could. For LLLT, I have provided a time series of audiograms:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-introduction.1862/#post-39035

And since there was a certain skepticism (from some people), I followed up with two other audiograms (that were stamped with a clinic signature at another (unbiased) regular ENT clinic; see page 3 in my introduction). Was it the LLLT that improved my hearing, or was it the position of the stars in the sky, or perhaps the pH-level of my blood? Who knows. What people choose to believe (or not) is not something I will lose any sleep over. I have provided the information reliably; people who read my posts can then choose to use it. Or not.

So would I. In fact, it would have been extremely helpful to me if it had been done already. Because that potentially could have saved me about 60,000 dollars. But because there are no long-duration LLLT studies done using treatment protocols in upper regions of the cold laser therapy range, 200-500 mW, the verdict on LLLT in relation to tinnitus is still unsettled. All I have/had to go by was the anecdotal evidence from random individuals around the world who said they saw improvements after eg. 6, 12, or 18 months of consistent use. It would indeed be nice to have known if such findings also hold true in a clinical trial setting. It is unclear to me why the various tinnitus organizations, for instance, never decided to look into that - and instead leaving the tinnitus sufferers in doubt (and potentially wasting their money).

attheedgeofscience
      06/JAN/2015.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      @attheedgeofscience
      I really admire what you have done till now. I also appreciate your input here, it is most wanted and valuable.
      Unfortunately, you haven't find silence till now, even though you really did search for every possible cure existent or nonexistent. I hope you do and sooner than you think.
      I think that never stopping searching for a cure is a must, never giving up. The combination of knowledge of so many capable people here may lead to something one day. We do need a little help from the research and science area though. Experimenting with no results is what we get till now. And this may go on for ever! My negativity goes to them, believe me not to the people who try to find relief. Such people are courageous and admirable. But caution is always warranted, asking for a great deal of money while giving no results in the end is a phenomenon of our times (and all times) that will always be there. Taking advantage of people's pain and suffering is out there. This is why we need to be skeptical and we need to exchange experiences, to avoid such traps.

I can only hope that our attempts, trials, findings combined with honesty and sharing will bring about results. The scientists aim for the Nobel prize. We aim for our silence. We need it more... And SOONER!

23. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Numerous independent controlled LLLT studies have already concluded that there is no efficacy. The response of the LLLT advocates is that those studies have been flawed in this, that, or the other way - yet they do not apply to "the various tinnitus organizations" for funding for what they consider to be unflawed independent studies. Having served for seven years on an ATA committee that reviews grants for such funding, I can tell you that ATA would love to fund a study that the LLLT advocates would consider to be definitive. Seems to me that the LLLT advocates would find it to be in their own best interests to settle this matter once and for all. Their problem is that ATA will not fund an LLLT study without assurances that the results would be published regardless of how it turned out - and that is a chance the LLLT advocates seem unwilling to take.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

24. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      This feels like lllt might sort of a hidden scam and they better not let anyone know. So sad. If they write so much good stuff about it on their side why no test it. I just don't get it. The best would be really to get the hands on it and find out more. It either helps or not and we should move on. I am personally thinking about giving it a try myself but I am worried that his just gonna be waste of money.

• Creative Creative x 1
    25. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. There was another TT-member who posted a series of reviews a few days ago here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...l-discussion-dr-wilden.295/page-23#post-86759

There are a number of those reviews that conclude that LLLT is not effective. And there are a couple that suggest it is (in some way). I don't have access to the background details on those studies, but my guess is that some/many/all of them do not live up to the rigorous standards of a double-blind clinical trial and peer reviewed literature.
      But as an example, let's take the 4th study that happens to be mentioned on the list:
      It is beyond human comprehension how anyone could expect to achieve results from a study using just 3 x 5 minutes of treatment (at any laser strength). Dr. Wilden uses a protocol equal to 10 x 1 hour sessions (30 mins. each ear) delivering a dosage in excess of 4000 joules per 1 hour treatment.

Now let's just talk facts here - facts!
      • Study mentioned: 3 x 5 = 15 minutes.
      • Dr. Wilden: 60 x 10 = 600 minutes.
      The above facts therefore show that the study participants received 15 / 600 = 2,5% of the total therapy dosage that patients at Dr. Wilden's practice would have received. 2,5%...! And that's not even factoring in the difference in power output which I can almost with 100% certainty guarantee is not of the same magnitude as that used by Dr. Wilden (Dr. Wilden uses more). So in the end, the total therapy in terms of joules delivered to the inner ear is probably of the order of about 1% (vs. Dr. Wilden's protocol). Dr. Nagler, say you had back-pain, and you were to swallow 1% of an entry dose 5mg Morphine tablet, how much "benefit" would you say you would get from that? (1/100) x 5mg = 0,05mg. That's not a lot if you ask me. Actually, it is (probably) so little that you would not really notice any effect. For those reasons, I can only conclude that the researchers who were behind the LLLT study either:
      • Did not know what they were doing (in which case they should not be researchers or physicians - and I truly mean that).
      • Had an ill intent motive behind the study (eg. trying to discredit the therapy)
      • Wanted to prove a null hypothesis for a specific therapy dosage volume (eg. "We want to confirm that "x" amount of therapy does not work for condition a, b, and c"). However, normally a study should come with an "open" rather than "closed" set of variables to explore ie. you would want to explore different treatment strengths in order to observe potential differences in outcome and not be restricted to something you assume would not work (needless to say).
      • Some other reason that I am unaware of, but I don't see/know what that could be. Perhaps you do?
      For sure, I was disappointed that I did not benefit more from Dr. Wilden's therapy. I admit it. And actually, I have no problem admitting it (because I am not affiliated with the LLLT business in any way). But given that Dr. Wilden was able to reverse hearing loss of up to 25db in my case (something which is considered impossible by the medical community), I am also someone who is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (eg. perhaps I should have done more therapy or perhaps my sub-type of tinnitus does not respond to LLLT - medicine is not an exact science). It may be that you feel convinced that LLLT does not work. But I don't. And I haven't seen any studies that document LLLT's efficacy with protocols living up to my satisfaction (eg. as much as 30 hours of clinic grade therapy done over, say, a 6 month period). And I am pretty sure that if such a study was to be undertaken, then it would - as a minimum - come with a couple of interesting bi-products such being able to document improved hearing thresholds. And so even if the study failed in terms of its main objective (ie. eliminating tinnitus), I would still think that such a study would be highly useful. Who would want to wear hearing aids, if they didn't have to, right?
      Well, the modus operandi of tinnitus organizations seems to be that they hand out grants rather than engage in research activities themselves. It is not for me to comment on how any organization should conduct itself, but as an example, we at Team Trobalt do not just sit around and wait for someone to engage us, we take the initiative, and develop relationships. So what I am saying is that it would have been helpful if some tinnitus organization out there had itself decided to conduct a study on LLLT (rather than wait for someone to come to them).

When I go to work as a finance specialist, I do not just sit on my flat ass and wait for my own manager to come and tell me what to do. I display initiative and self-management. If the ATA or any other organization would like lessons in basic leadership, they can contact me for help. They will appreciate the fact that, unlike the patient/doctor appointments of the doctors who serve the board, my appointments are always on time.
      I don't work for any of the tinnitus organizations and so I would not be able to confirm such findings. But if you have information as to any LLLT study being requested with "strings attached", I would be glad to know it (and in public). I do not want anyone being given special favours. Not LLLT providers, not stem cell providers, not anyone. So when you say "Their problem is...", I am wondering if you are referring to a specific case where that happened or whether you making a general assumption?

attheedgeofscience
      06/JAN/2015.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right. ATA has a volunteer team of sixteen internationally regarded researchers and clinicians that awards grants based on merit rather than on relationships. In fact, the committee is blinded regarding who it is that is actually applying for the grants. All they care about is the quality of the methodology and the role the proposed study can potentially play in the search for a cure for tinnitus. Members of the committee serve one-time-renewable staggered four-year terms.

I am making an assumption that since the money for such a study has been readily available for years and since a reliable and verifiable study confirming the efficacy of LLLT in the treatment of tinnitus would spell untold riches for LLLT manufacturers (think US military alone!!!) not to mention the incalculable benefit to society, the only possible reason I can think of for us to be still having this sort of discussion on tinnitus boards in 2015 instead of celebrating wildly in the streets of Stockholm and across the globe is that the LLLT folks strongly suspect that their red light will not stand up to independent scrutiny regardless of the parameters (power, time, protocol, etc.) that they themselves dictate.

It's incredible, when you think of it. The LLLT folks criticize the independent studies that show no efficacy on the grounds that the investigators use the wrong parameters, but they refuse to dictate the parameters that they consider to be the right parameters so that a reliable and verifiable independent analysis meeting their own criteria can be undertaken. What's with that?

Dr. Stephen Nagler

27. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, Dr. Nagler.

Well, I did mention earlier on that a bi-product of LLLT is improved hearing thresholds. Right now, there is really only one "therapy" available against hearing loss: hearing aids. And given the size of the hearing loss market, I trust you would agree that the hearing aid industry is big business:
      Of course with such a big market, the hearing aid companies would not be too happy to give away their market share to a therapy that quite clearly has certain advantages over hearing aids:
      • the patient is not handicapped by a device
      • LLLT cures the root cause and does not just treat the symptom
      • LLLT does not lead to any potential further hearing loss
      • The therapy - LLLT - costs less than a top of the range hearing aid
      However, in econonmics there is this term called "barriers to entry" (of a market). Since the hearing aid companies like to keep their market share, they would not like to see it being erroded by some other therapy. Indeed the hearing aid companies do quite a bit to "promote" their products (I have highlighted important parts in blue):
      And another:
      To answer your original question directly, I cannot tell you why LLLT is not in widespread use, but the above is one potential reason ie. protection of market share and an obvious affiliation with audiologists who receive bonuses from the hearing aid manufacturers. With such a scheme in place, it is difficult to break into a market.

When I met Dr. Wilden in the Summer of 2013, he explained to me the amount of "dirt" that the hearing aid producers throw at LLLT with studies designed-to-fail in order to keep LLLT from becoming legitimate.

So perhaps that is one reason. What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I would be super happy to get improved hearing although it had no effect on T .
      Sucks that there is no relieable study on the efficiancy of LLLT .
      I dont trust a simple hearing test , they are so unreliable and in my opinion way to coarse to be considered anything scientific. Hearing tests should be done with much higher resolution ,multiple times and then averaged.
      Maybe then we would have something tangible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      And of that 38 million, there are more than 25 million that don't have hearing aids for one reason or another. In many cases (mine for quite some time) it is due to the stigma attached to them. It seems to be a largely untapped market for someone who can cure hearing loss without having to wear devices on their ears.

If LLLT was proven to work, I don't believe the market barrier you refer to would be an issue.

-Mike

30. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      PT Barnum would love that line of reasoning. The issue here isn't what LLLT might or might not do in terms of hearing thresholds.

Sort of reminds me several years ago when going to see Dr. Shemesh in Israel for his miraculous tinnitus cure was all the rage. Folks came back with glowing reports. Moreover, they were thrilled with the bonus: they got to spend six weeks in the Holy Land and felt tremendously uplifted about the entire experience. Fast forward a couple of years, and the fellow who had arranged for all those international visitors to Shemesh's clinic confessed that he was not aware of a single individual who had experienced any lasting benefit whatsoever in terms of his or her tinnitus. A few months back in reality ... and they realized that they were no better off than the day they left. Still and all they were all glad they went. Every one of them!

The issue here is LLLT and tinnitus, not LLLT and hearing thresholds. I will repeat my position: Since the money for a legitimate LLLT tinnitus study has been readily available for years and since a reliable and verifiable study confirming the efficacy of LLLT in the treatment of tinnitus would spell untold riches for LLLT manufacturers (think US military alone!!!) not to mention the incalculable benefit to society, the only possible reason I can think of for us to be still having this sort of discussion on tinnitus boards in 2015 instead of celebrating wildly in the streets of Stockholm and across the globe is that the LLLT folks strongly suspect that their red light will not stand up to independent scrutiny regardless of the parameters (power, time, protocol, etc.) that they themselves dictate.

What do I think? Honestly? I think it's a bunch of horse manure. All shadows and mirrors. The funds exist (and have existed for years now) for Wilden to dictate all the parameters on an independently-conducted LLLT tinnitus study. If anything, we are talking here not about a study designed-to-fail, but rather about a study designed-to-succeed!!!!!

Jakob, you are one of the brightest, most meticulous, and most committed individuals I have encountered in my twenty years on the tinnitus boards and newsgroups. I hold you in extremely high regard, and I simply cannot believe that you have allowed yourself to be sucked into what basically amounts to an elaborate parlor game. You asked me what I think. Well, that's what I think!

Dr. Stephen Nagler