Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Tinnitus — Experiences (Dr. Wilden, etc.)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by joe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Yes I am also worried that waiting is not good and it's better to kick start ASAP. Wife is laughing at me as she thinks this is a scam but she has no idea what fun the ringing in the ears is. When did you buy it?

2. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I posted it here
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/audiogram-and-test-results.7623/

3. Nick J.
      Approved

Nick J. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      She charge 120€ for a hole day of high dose laser!
      Wilden charge 200€ for 30min. on each ear.
      Audiogram is not part of it.

His laser is no more speciel then the 1500$ laser Fernando has now!
      In fact i would swap mine with fernandos any day.
      But his laser is good.. The price is just not.

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Just so it is clear here (to everyone): Dr. Wilden charges €200,- for 60 min. of therapy in total (which includes 30 min. LLLT left/right ear - or any combination inbetween, eg. 15 min. left, 45 min. right).

(The way I read your post left me with the potential impression that the cost would be €200,- for each ear ie. €400,- for the total therapy of 60 min.).

5. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I'll be purchasing it tomorrow. I don't believe that it is a scam. I think that I'd rather try something than to just wait for a cure. I will keep all of you posted on my progress.

• Like Like x 1
    6. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      I emailed the company selling the full unit - they said the lens on the front could be removed which I'm guessing would widen the beam a little.

Tempted to try it - do we think 650nm is a decent starting point?

7. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I bought the old version of this Lux Spa Laser secondhand (from a chap who posted on here) in November and have been using it since the end of November (without any high dose clinic treatment). No benefits to my tinnitus yet. I sometimes think my hearing might be slightly better, but nothing conclusive. Will not get an audiogram until my next ENT appointment.

Before buying this I spent a week or two experimenting with a cheap 650nm 50mW laser unit. I didn't feel too confident with the effectiveness of how I was pointing this at my head, and wanted the 'in ear' model so I knew the light was going to the right place. I am planning to make an 'in ear' version of my own soon with a bit more power than the 30mW one (keep putting this project off but will get there).

I think from memory Hansi Cross got good results with his MLS/Lux Spa laser, and then went for clinic treatment later. You could check his blog on it for details.

http://www.progressrec.com/curing-tinnitus.html

Personally, I suspect that I need more power and will be looking to sell my unit soon. Hope this helps.

8. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Flight to Norway 700$. Accommodation I am not sure? Do you know any good cheap hotels there?
      120€*5 = 600€ = 707$. So assuming I can accommodate for 100€ a day * 5 = 589$
      The whole trip would cost me around 2500 with food and I get 5 days of treatment against two years of laser with support from Dr. Wilden. Hard to make a decision.

9. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      this doc:
      http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/fi...Devices/lowlevel_laser_therapy_fact_sheet.pdf

says:
      "
      Advanced Energy Medicine reports it achieves the greatest success with older tinnitus patients. In their
      literature, they explain that younger patients often have tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma (loud music, work-
      related loud noise, etc.).They say that the resulting organic defects of the structure of the inner ear that come
      from such trauma cannot be cured by their laser therapies.
      "

Edit: Does this company even exist?

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      thx for the blog info, interesting story

11. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Coming out ATA ????
      That´s nice

12. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi all.
      As I said last month I sold my laser to a portuguese women, that it´s here in Norway with me for a 6 day treatment.
      this is the laser,
      http://lux-spa-ibiza.com/index.php/...ssory-for-the-lux-spa-home-laser-by-dr-wilden

She did made an audiogram on the 8th. Jan. I´m attaching here it now. Please check the differences from last year to the new audiogram. She started LLLT on the 8th December 2014. So it´s a month time.

She gain up to 25 db in some frequencies.

Hope this help for those who still are in doubt, and give hope to the ones that are starting the laser.
      Sheers all
      IMG_0191.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    13. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    14. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      yep seems like the way to go unless Anne can do more for me in initial treatment?
      Can you nicely ask her what would be a better path?
      Start with Wilden laser and later see her or the opposite or just to the laser only?

15. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I fell sooner or later, you will need a more power session, and you will want to make it. I know Dr widen will want to sell you the more expensive laser, but i did well with the pen. Is more power 80 Mw, but less comfortable. With the Lucy yo can use it and keep doing other things. With the pen laser yo need to hold it with your hands during all time of the treatment.

If you just have money for one option, I advise you to buy the laser, and do treatment later, you can save 1200 USD if you buy the pen laser instead of the Lucy Laser, but is a decision of yours.
      I feel yo have all the info now.

Sheers

16. Nick J.
      Approved

Nick J. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yea i guees u are right! It could be misunderstood.
      Still doesen't change the fact its waaay to expensive for most pll.

17. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anyone who's going, get an independent audiogram (up to high 16-20kHz if possible) before you go, and when you are done.

By independent, I mean not the person who is doing the treatment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      So i read his story and his experiences sometimes are scary.
      T goes up and freaks out. Is this really a case for everyone using laser?

19. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      how lumomed differs from Lux spa device? I see lumomed does more frequencies.
      http://www.lumomed.de/index.php?lang=en

20. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Did anyone have any success with tinitool? would it be worth to start with it as a cheaper version of laser or its not powerful enough and is full waste of money?

21. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Tinnitol is a total waste of money.
      You huld consider the one I bought in China.

http://www.lucky-laser.com/productview.php?id=LK-COMBI

It´s 650nm /120 Mw and a 808 nm/900 Mw one probe only of each frequency. With this yo will have a good laser for a better price.

The owner is lady called Lulu.
      Here is her mail luckylaser@vip.163.com

The cost is 1500$ + 158$ shipping costs.
      Just to tell you that they don't have laser in stock,, they buil it according to the orders. So you will have to wait a few days to get it.

Fernando

22. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      lol i was tempted to, i goggled around managed to find some things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-658nm-660nm-300-400mw-CW-Red-Laser-Diode-LPC-826-/110896818957

more or less the exact frequency.

And a simple driver circuit for the diode - lm317 suggested by one of the laser hobbyist, and a lens to defuse the laser beam to wide spot. [ i strongly warn against concentrated beam ]
      0.5v @ 120ma would roughly give 50mw which is good enough for starters.

[ aixiz seems to be famous ]

as for assembling a nice ear plug or some sort, plastimake or instamorph

What is Plastimake?

I am trying dyi approach simply cause of cost constraints and due to taxes and stuff for importing any goods which are so expensive. Plus i was hobbyist and studied electrical engineering, building stuff is not new me.

• Like Like x 1
    23. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      In order to work I think you need 2.2v dropped across the laser diode (for this particular one you linked). I was looking at buying parts from the link below which sells cheap adjustable driver boards ready assembled.

http://odicforce.com/epages/05c54fb...b6-7778-4d36-adc0-0098b2af7c4e/Products/OFL61

The power of the LLLT devices is usually given based on the measured light output rather than the electrical parameters, since some electrical energy is lost as heat (inefficient conversion to light). So it is less straightforward to calculate the power of your homemade device. I guess you would get a rough idea though.

Hope this helps. If you go ahead then lets compare notes. Might give me the kick up the a**e that I need. :)

P.S. Some form of heatsinking might be needed so the diode does not get too hot inside the ear. My MLS laser has metal earpieces (looks like aluminium) surrounding the diode. These get warm but not hot. Presumably they conduct heat out of the ear. If you operate your laser diode well below its rated capacity then maybe it will be OK. Would need some experimenting I guess.

Look out for your eyes too. Maybe we need to get some protective eyewear.

24. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      I was using this graph as reference
      http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd510/rocket689/LPC-826plot.jpg
      LPC-826plot.jpg
      This is wht i intent to do.
      The current and voltage are in reference to the light power out put based on graph.
      offcourse it needs to be properly calibred.

gp9c5Pd.png

25. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Ahhh. I did not see that in the listing. Where did you find it?

The listing says '3.Operation Voltage <2.2V'.

Edit: Found it on google. :)

• Like Like x 1
    26. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      From my understanding the graph is for concentrated beam so when using a diffuser or lens to create a wide spot the energy will definitely vary.
      By rough calculation lets say 2mm circle is 100mw 2cm square is roughly 1/10th of the energy. More or less can calibrate with very rough estimate. I am looking into how to calculate the energy properly.

27. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I bought this laser module to play with last November.

http://odicforce.com/epages/05c54fb...6-7778-4d36-adc0-0098b2af7c4e/Products/OFL211

That produces a naturally diffused beam if you take the lens off. I have been assuming that the beam from a laser diode is sufficiently diffused unless it is focussed by having a lens applied for that specific purpose. That said, here is a photo of the earpiece of my MLS laser. It does look like a lens is applied there.

Img_4650.jpg

28. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Here is the beam of the cheap laser module without the focussing lens on.
      Img_4651.jpg

29. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That looks good. Pleased we have some engineers who know what they are talking about!

30. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I think your words apply to nogood, but sadly not to myself. I am a dabbler with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :)