Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage From Extreme Trauma

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by yonkapin, Dec 18, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      So, I stumbled upon this today and while this study deals exclusively with PTSD, I wouldn't be surprised if this approach could be applied to tinnitus sufferers given that conditions like PTSD and tinnitus are often linked together. Also remember reading about the effects shrooms had on OCD a few years back, apparently a single dose relieved some users symptoms completely.

http://altering-perspectives.com/2013/08/new-study-magic-mushrooms-repair-brain.html

Anyway:

I think it'd be very interesting to see what effect psilocybin (and other psychedelics/empathogens) could possible have in the role of habituation and inducing brain plasticity with tinnitus sufferers, but I don't know enough about this stuff to really flesh any ideas out. It's a shame stuff like cannabis and mushrooms are shunned because of old propaganda while doctors dish out addicting (and often damaging) pharmaceuticals.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Good find!(y)

3. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Seen a tv show on that a while back :) Trials on just that was done many years ago, which was indeed interesting, good to see research still being done on the subject.
      Meanwhile mushrooms are shunned, have a drink instead lol :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Garden Ring
      Mellow

Garden Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I was wondering whether a controlled LSD trip could be of any benefit for the T sufferers.
      Yet I'm afraid of an extremely high probability of a bad trip due to a sound in your ear you can't control, God only knows what it can turn into in an altered state of mind, and generally people with T are more anxious and depressed, which is a clear counterindication to tripping.
      Though it's really a shame that substances like LSD and MDMA are criminalised. I really tend to believe in their strong therapeutic potential, if not at reducing the T itself, but at least in removing fear and anxiety. I wish there was more open research on that topic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Totally agree with you! I've always been a bit scared of LSD though because of the duration of it's effects, deepest I've ever gone is a few mushroom trips which were very pleasant and positive experiences. But I definitely think it has the potential, along with other psychedelics like psilocybin/DMT, to help tinnitus sufferers given the right environment and guidance.

One of the best examples I can think of the use of psychedelics in a therapeutic setting has to be that of ibogaine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine) and heroin addiction. There are a few documentaries on youtube and VICE did a piece on it on their TV show, but this drug has an absolutely insane success rate when it comes to obliterating sufferers of their crippling addiction to heroin. Heroin addicts go their whole lives addicted to the drug, or end up on something like methadone that is just as crippling the rest of their lives, ibogaine is able to cure people of their addictions within 2 or 3 days. I find it disgusting that these sort of findings go ignored within mainstream medical communities, while band-aid (and often, just as damaging) solutions in the form of methadone and benzodiazepines are shoved onto helpless addicts.

Hopefully now that more and more people are warming up to the idea of legalizing marijuana and recognizing it's potential health benefits, other psychedelics and empathogens will gain greater acceptance and research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      From experience I can tell they don`t help to cure the T. by the time I had T I moved on from party setting to shamanistic rituals and setting and use of medicines instead of `drugs` ... none of them helped. Although they do give you a chance of widening your world view and learning you to accept your life the form it is taking. Healing traumas is all about acceptance ... so I don`t know what these medicines do on neurological level, but I do know they kick your butt if you don`t accept :)

ps I hoped ibogain would be a miracle cure but it did`nt help with erasing T ... I will do another session in the near future and maybe give some feedback if it feels right.

• Like Like x 1
    7. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Oh wow, you've tried ibogain!? What was it like? Out of curiosity, what else have you tried? Don't suppose you've tried ayuasca/DMT?

I don't expect to find any sort of miracle cure within psychedelics or emphathogens, but I do believe they could provide an array of benefits to those who are suffering - whether that be aiding in habituation or allowing for acceptance as you mention. It's all very interesting to me!

8. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I haven't used psychedelics in quite a while but I could definitely see how they could be beneficial to tinnitus sufferers, especially if you have your anxiety under control. In my experience, I always walked away in an optimistic state of mind after a trip.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes Ayahuasca is quit familiar terrain. Medicines like Ayahuasca and Ibogain should be respected and not approached lightly. Although you got to have some form of ease about it all. Seriousness wont get you anywhere, but disrespect will bring you down. But they will show you that anyway, comes with the package ;)

I can`t really remember the Ibogain, it is like everything happened somewhere beyond my consciousness. It teaches you to let go of all your bad habits, physical, psychological and emotional. I felt supported in this for many months after. I used to steal a bit from shops (small stuff, like food I thought was way overpriced) but that went completely after Ibogiane.

Ayahuasca is of a whole different caliber. She shows you the mysteries of the universe while opening up your box of pandora while cradling you like a baby while having no respect for any of your cunning emotional tricks. She is will shake you up for good. So humbleness is key.

Both of these have to be done in ritual shamanistic setting in a group and with a knowledgeable guide or shaman.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I smoked marijuana for the first time post-tinnitus some weeks ago. I did not enjoy it. I got to high and got stuck inside my head together with my loving tinnitus. I had to lay down in my bed to not freak out. Sad, but true. I really enjoyed to smoke marijuana once in a while pre-tinnitus.

I have never tried psychedelics. Maybe I should give it a shot. It's not like it's hard to get them. :D

11. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If you did n`t like the marihuana I would stay away from Psychedelics. They can put you even more in-your-head. And last longer and are much more intense. Tinnitus is a bummer and definitely restricts people from experiencing the possibilities of these chemicals and medicines because it sucks up so much head, body, being, life space ... All Psychedelic true experimentation is done to reach a state of ease, inner p-eace and silence like that which the Buddhist or other forms of meditation and religions speak of. Tinnitus in that sense is a very challenging dis-ease.

12. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Is it possible that my tinnitus will go away while I'm lost in some psychedelics? If that is true it should not be any problem. I never hear tinnitus in my dreams.

13. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I don`t know what is possible, but I have quit a lot of experience with Psychedelics before and after T. It never goes away. At most it blends in with other auditory/psychic hallucinations or get`s over written with auditory sensory input. But for it was always there as an unwanted guest. My deepest and most profound psychedelic experience were before T. I actually gave up on taking them and T was one of the reasons. There is no use fighting a dragon that can`t be slayed. And just for fun is to random a reason for me to venture in those realms. But everybody needs to find out for themselves I guess. If someone has reached a state of acceptance with T it might work. But don`t hope for miracles cause you`ll get a very bitter experience.

14. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Ya I hate say this, but I always thought weed was harmless. 99% of people online say it's harmless if you search google. Though it may be true, you can't trust anyone. That goes for any drug. You really don't know where it comes from, and don't know what they could have laced it with. Another fact about marijuana, is that the stuff we smoke these days, isn't the same as the stuff our parents used to smoke way back in the day, and is waaaay higher in THC levels, due to the concentrated nutrients and other chemicals, they feed these plants. Please don't put your health in someone else's hands, as lame as it may sound. This is the reality.

15. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      although it is important to know what you get it should n`t be a reason not to do it, cause that is just a bit fear induced I think. There are a lot of ways to know if what you get is from reliable source and to know what you get (testing kits). And no one laces weed with anything cause that would just cost extra money. I think form all the drugs weed is the safest, even before alcohol and tabacco. But I have to admit that i`m not at all an advocate of drug use and certainly not weed although I was smoking it for almost my complete adolescence and early twenties. It is not harmless, on a psychological level. People get cranky, lazy, anti social ... and that pattern get`s into your system and you have to run, hike, dance, learn, gym, smile and WORK that stuff out for years!! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Funny thing is, I used to think the exact same as you. I thought, "oh weed is harmless, no biggy". Look where I'm at now lol. I actually became addicted to the stuff, and I never even thought about all these factors up until the other week I smoked a small bowl and realized how loud the ringing became. Did some hard research to find a few people experiencing the exact same thing, and was told to check my stuff. I thoroughly checked my bud to make sure it wasn't actually laced, and it appeared to be alright. Well later, I realized that the "kush" I was smoking was most likely grown indoor. Well that tells you everything right there. The chemicals (nutrients) they use in indoor grows, (mostly hydroponic) are probably highly toxic to the human body in high enough doses, and after extended periods of time as well. Trust me I know most people would not go out of their way to lace your weed, especially your friends, but who do they get it off? It's not just about them lacing it with a drug necessarily, but the possibility of the grower wanting extra weight on your bud is there, and could spray it with any type of liquid.

The true facts are that it is bad for you, whether it is psychological, or physical. The stuff f..ks you up in the long run. I'm sure smoking everyday for 10 years straight hasn't helped me either. Even I thought I would be alright man. This has scared me to the point of quitting herb for good, even after all these years. I never thought it was possible for me to quit. I did it due to health issues, as every time I smoke now, I feel like I want to kill myself because my brain immediately focuses on the ringing, and the ringing gets way more intense, and puts me in a state of severe depression. I don't know what else to say other then keep it in extreme moderation, because I know how all you herb smokers out there feel about the stuff, and I know there's no turning people away from it, as well as the lack of proper information about these drugs. I thought the exact same way, and now I'm regretting ever even trying it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I smoked dope for years and my favourite effect it had was the way it enhanced music. Instead of simply hearing a tune, I would have a much deeper experience and feel really connected to sounds, notes, musical phrases in a way that rarely happened when I was straight. I had cut back to every week or two by the time I got tinnitus, but then I found myself having a less positive experience as my awareness of the tinnitus became similarly enhanced. I don't think it got louder, but my sensitivity to the sense of hearing was enhanced overall and the troubling sides of getting high started to overshadow the pleasure.

Since I last did it my tinnitus has got massively worse and I'm kind of wary of trying it now in case I react the way Kimbo describes. Getting by day to day now involves a subtle process of acknowledging the noise but not paying too much attention to it - almost like a kind of psychological repression. I think this is the basis of habituation. However, another of the things I actually used to like about dope was that it would make it harder to maintain those kinds of psychological defenses. Useful for developing your self-awareness, becoming less self-deceiving, etc. But I wonder if that might be counter-productive in the context of intrusive tinnitus?

Anyway, those two effects of dope (enhancing sensory awareness and stripping away the ability to control where one's attention goes) are even more true of the mushroom and acid experiences I can remember. I think the original post by Yonkapin was about mushrooms starting an organic repair process in the brain (brain cell regrowth), which would be absolutely fantastic! But like Nills, I'd advise caution about the psychological politics of tripping when you've got an uninvited guest in your head.

18. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, wish I had never started messing with weed.

19. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October, 2012.
      Marijuana spikes my tinnitus, but it always returns to normal afterward. I think any psychoactive chemical can potentially affect your tinnitus on a temporary basis. There is literally no evidence that pot will affect your tinnitus or hearing in the longer term.

Those who currently have trouble smoking weed because it increases the ringing may find they actually enjoy weed again after they habituate to their tinnitus and find it less of an issue from day to day. That is the experience I had. Weed would increase my tinnitus like crazy and I would freak out. Now that my tinnitus no longer bothers me to such an extent, I don't mind that the ringing increases, and tend to enjoy the high in much the same way I used to.

20. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I talked to my ENT about weed, he said he could get me a card to but it legally, but said weed in most cases heightens the senses not dull them, thus making you even more aware of your T. I declined the card offer.

21. Benjamin Greenberg

Benjamin Greenberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Ear Trauma
      Thanks Nills for sharing your experience. Has anyone else tried medicines like Ayahuasca, Ibogaine, or Ketamine to help with their T? If so, has it helped at all?

22. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I haven't tried any of them, but I've had ketamine sitting around for a long while that I still need to try, I've been hesitant to try it because it's so intense, but all my friends loved it. I'll let you guys know if I have any positive effects in regards to my tinnitus when I do decide to do it. There was a another guy here a while ago that said he experienced temporary reductions in his tinnitus and hyperacusis after using ketamine.

Also, the most promising treatment in development at the moment, AM-101, is using Esketamine (form of ketamine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esketamine) directly injected into the ear, which is pretty interesting.

23. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Going back to mushrooms, a small dose, say 5-6 typical uk magic mushrooms, will have no real noticeable affect when taken at all, so anyone wanting to experiment with repeated low dose use could do that without fearing a psychedelic trip. From memory you'd be looking at maybe 20 before any kind of trip and most regular users would be taking 100 plus in a mushroom tea - that would get pretty crazy though!

Over here they grow Sept- Oct time but you can dry them and store them - i think they may have been criminalised in the last 10 years or so though. I've no desire to get into recreational use but a small amount daily might be worth a go.

24. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Just to clarify - I'm talking about the little magic mushrooms that grow in parks, grassland etc Don't go eating 4-5 Fly Agaric !!!

25. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      I am not advocating breaking the law but sometimes laws are just plain stupid.......
      Sorry but I dont know why you all talk about lacing and additives to grow the marijuana.
      If you are concerned about what you are smoking or vaping or eating, why dont you simpiy grow your own. On a windowsill, in your garden, somewhere wild outdoors, in a spare room or your attic.
      Confidentially - it is going on all over the world. A practice which is really common and highly under publicised. Many law abiding people exasberated with their country's laws are now growing their own to have their own medicinal marijuana to alleviate their ailments.
      The USA patented cbd since i think 2002 (date could be wrong). There are many reasons on the official patent which can be found on public record - their research shows for example that cbd shrinks tumours so can be excellent for the treatment in cancer. Are they pursueing this research - what have they done in the past decade to harness the healing properties of cbd which they patented back then? Nada! not much for the treatment of cancer which kills millions every year. Even tho many countries incl usa are now growing med marijuana for the alleviation of pain and tremors. But cancer - no. Why? Because cheomotherapy is the biggest money maker for big pharma from all the chemicals and meds they produce. Why kill the golden goose?
      So......
      One plant will do it or grow 2 if you need a lot more.
      This way you know what you have got.
      Use seeds that give you exactly what you want - either more thc or less, more cbd or less.......or buy seeds for medicinal marijuana. Make your own choices. Judging by the weather you have wlll help you to make your choices.....from cold north to sunny south....
      why does everyone only talk about street stuff or medicinal purchased where it is legal now. All these people are doing is growing this weed to sell to you -- which you can do for yourself.
      use only bio additives to help it grow......solutions are simple....nettles mixed with water and left for a week will make a fine nutrient and also help to keep the insects off.
      take responsibility for your own stuff and dont depend on purchasing from others. That is just participating in the profit for others game.
      and use it sparingly....after all, if you eat a whole big chocolate cake you may enjoy it at the time but afterwards you will feel unwell at best and most likely quite sick. Everything in moderation.......is the right way to proceed.
      Just a thought on this controversial subject.....no bad law will be changed by obeying it and inaction to change it.

26. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Now is magic mushroom time here in Ireland. Think I might go foraging. Tried them years ago beforeT and just laughed at anything. Be interesting to see what happens now with tinnitus. On the cannabis subject has anyone tried spacecakes or cannabis oil? Has this had any effect on your noises? It seems pretty clear from previous posts that smoking the stuff seems to worsen most people's or have no effect at all.

27. mintblue
      Supportive

mintblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I used to smoke cannabis every day for 4 years. Got tinnitus, haven't smoked in over 2 years. As someone once wrote "Tinnitus cures cannabis." Although I'm not entirely upset about that, my life is much better without it.

• Like Like x 2