Marijuana / Cannabis and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Grant1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Hi, I haven't been here for a while, so I'm checking in again. Been quite busy so pardon my absence.

Most important: you have to live where this is legal, I am very fortunate I have a friend who I can legally fill out paper work and have them as a "designated grower", totally legal here. Growing is pretty intense, and I live in a small apartment, so I can't do my own growing, so having a "designated grower" is a life saver for me.

So, down to business:

First: THC will definitely spike your tinnitus so don't bother. But the spike will also always go away, within a few days, so don't freak out.

Second: I have access to Candida CD1 strain, seeds come from Spain. Candida has multiple phenotypes, but there will be a phenotype which is very very much covered in crystals, the buds are small but the sugar leaves are all covered. This is the good phenotype. Her fragrance is like candy - citrus candy.

Forever, I thought I was going nowhere with tinnitus and cannabis, because so many strains were causing me to spike, and it was very discouraging.

But .... if you give up, you never will get an answer. So I didn't give up.
      There are two things possible: One is that eventually your brain just stops spiking from cannabis, due to selective downregulation of the DCN receptors. The second possibility is you've got yourself the good strain. So if it is legal to grow, get yourself some Candida, CD1, grow out several seeds and look for the sativa-ish pheno with crystal covered sugar leaves, and make sure she is grown out to the point where she has some amber trichomes. This can take 11-12 weeks of flowering according to my friend who does this for me, which is quite long.

I take two vaporizer doses of this "B" phenotype, which gives me a pretty deep state of relaxation.

I suspect this Candida is as described 20:1 CBD:THC ratio, and probably 20% CBD. We have not actually had a lab analysis, because this is pretty costly, but other people have tried Candida and report similar experience: very relaxing, and zero psychoactive, which means she probably is as described.

OK, so I USED TO GET SPIKES, but not any more. That's right: not any more. Cannabis spike does not occur any more with me, or at most very very minimal, as long as I take this particular very high CBD strain via vaporizer.

There is another strain from Humbolt County seeds called CBD Blue Dream. She is a Blue Dream crossed to create a medical strain. She is also, mainly sativa, which is surprising for me, because I was under impression indica was better for sleep. Anyways, CBD Blue Dream, she is supposed to be 10% THC 10% CBD. Again, we have not had her tested by lab, but other people report similar smoke test - relaxed happy and a bit sleepy.

Ok, so far, when its' time for sleep, I've vaped already about 0.5 g of 20% CBD (2 vape doses) which gives 100 mg of CBD via vape, and at 50% absorption, about 50 mg is in my system. Which is pretty much not micro dose.

Then I take 0.25g vaped CBD Blue Dream, which is 25mg THC and 25mg more CBD. So now there is 12mg THC in my system, which is definitely a microdose, and another 12mg CBD in my system. So I have taken a ratio of 5:1 CBD:THC via vape. You also get the terpene effect from vaping, which are also cannabinoids, and the terpenes have a minor sedative effect. At this point, after you've taken the Blue Dream CBD you will definitely feel the THC effect, which makes you drowsy and want to sleep. Candida, is also billed as sleep medicine, but just that touch of THC throws me, anyways, over the edge. Not like hard couch lock, but you will definitely get to sleep and for a good long time. In my experience, just say it again, I did used to get spikes, possibly my brain has down regulated the receptors responsible for the spike (the only way to know would be to "sacrifice" myself like a lab rat, and then section my DCN and analyze the receptors, but that is kind of drastic. Better would be an actual lab rat experiment)

You have to live in a legal jurisdiction, and you have to have a prescription, so you need a doctor that will understand the intricacies of this disorder. My doctor puts me down as "neuropathic pain disorder".

It is also legal in my jurisdiction, for anyone at all, to grow up to four plants per household, so you don't really even need a prescription if you own a house. Since I don't have a house, I need a prescription in order to have a "designated grower".

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. david14433

david14433 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sounds.
      Marijuana makes my tinnitus worse. CBD oil is probably a good alternative to marijuana but you have to vape it in very high concentrations and hold it in as long as possible and the effect doesn't last that long especially if your use to marijuana.

Personally though I can vape CBD oil and have a physical mental effect for an hour or so. They say CBD doesn't have any effect on mental abilities, personally I find this isn't true for me when vaped in high concentrations.

3. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Daily user and grower here. Marijuana lowers my tinnitus (sometimes makes it nearly silent). I guess I'm an outlier on this board.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I am really pleased for you...

I was a long term tobacco, weed, coffee person. I have always worked really hard, been creative and productive. Post tinnitus... no tobacco or spiffs... oh well.

Curious as to what you're smoking that lowers your tinnitus. Could you tell me please, the name or strain... good on you... lucky.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I've smoked/vaped/eaten/dabbed many things over the years.

But the strains I primarily use are the ones I grow. Sour Diesel, Blue Dream, Northern Lights, and Amnesia Classic (not Amnesia Haze).

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been using all modalities to treat my tinnitus, such as lots of sound therapy. I think that since I've been looking after my tinnitus, the use of weed has probably also decreased my tinnitus and quality of life. As I mentioned before, it USED TO! spike my tinnitus, but doesn't any more. I also use specifically grown CBD strain of Candida CD1, CBD Blue Dream, Purple Orange (high CBD strain), and Kama Kush (high CBD strain). The growing part is essential and the looking after your tinnitus part is essential. If you harvest too soon, the weed will not have the desired effect, my personal grower lets the weed get a bit hyper-mature, approx one week longer that you would normally let it go. It needs to get a few amber trichomes, and then its ready. I do not trust any commercially available/street available/dispensary available.

In my jurisdiction, it went to the supreme court, and they were scathing of the government, stating the government regulations of "not allowing people to grow their own medicine amounts to criminalizing illness". Very shortly after, a progressive prime minister was elected, who totally legalized cannabis for everyone, so that every person living in this jurisdiction is legally allowed to grow four plants (of any size), no limit of how much weed can be possessed in your residence, and a limit of 30g of possession in the open public. Most places it is legal to vape cannabis in public.

Restriction and prohibition have inhibited/knee capped research, reason why this medicine has not been properly investigated. It is NOT A PANACEA! You need to use all modalities to treat your tinnitus, and all that is explained all over the place in this discussion forum.

• Like Like x 1
    7. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any spikes to their tinnitus from taking medical marijuana (especially the edible forms) or know if it's ototoxic? I'm considering taking it for nerve pain. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Louie
      Quietatnignt

8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      People have reported having it temporarily spiking their tinnitus but not permanently. From the best of my knowledge it isn’t ototoxic.

9. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have tried Rick Simpson Oil and other types of FECO (full extract cannabis oil) - both ingested. They spike my tinnitus tremendously for several hours but it has always been 100 percent temporary.

The reason I have tried was in an attempt to help with chronic ear pain. It has not helped so far but my intention is to try some other types of FECO made with different strains of plants.

10. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @lymebite & @Jack Straw

I appreciate your responding and for the heads up. I have been talking CBD for a few weeks now with 3% THC in it, with no spike's or any effects on my tinnitus, so I figured their would not be a problem with taking the edible marijuana items. I just got my temporary card, and plan on trying it next week, guess anything thing can happen but we are all different so I'm hoping that it won't be any problems for me.

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      If your tinnitus is impacted by blood pressure it may go up, as weed increases blood pressure.

Smoking ANYTHING causes your sinuses to swell, so that may cause issues, even if it's unlikely.

Reasonably, getting high increases anxiety in a select group of people. If you're in that group, and you're anxious about tinnitus - you may notice it more.

BUT - weed won't make your tinnitus worse, and it's unlikely to cause a spike. I've done the experiments, for science.

12. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    13. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm worried that large doses of CBD with some THC is making my tinnitus worse. If it spikes tinnitus and I use it all day every day, could this lead to a permanent worsening of my tinnitus? Worse tinnitus or chronic pain hell, take your pick...

Also, any guesses on how long I would have to abstain from CBD/THC to see if it makes a difference? I went 3 weeks without but my joint pain became unbearable so I started again. I didn't notice any difference in my T when not using CBD.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems to me, and I've been taking cannabis in various forms for quite a while, including experimenting on myself with indica sativa THC CBD mixtures of both cbn oral, brownie, tincture, vape, etc etc. that you can easily spike your tinnitus, but from my own experience, it always settles down. It even seems to me, that with long term use of vaped CBD I don't really get a spike. However I am getting lack of energy, and i don't know what that is all about.

Honestly, sometimes it is a real struggle to stay positive. I don't have a doctor that specializes in this, and so I can only experiment on myself and draw my own theories, but no one seems to really know what is optimum and even if weed really is beneficial or not.

I'm going on the premise it may be of benefit, and my doctor agrees, but only in general principle, however I get my prescription because my doctor trusts me to use minimum effective dose, and to carefully watch for side effects.

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel like benzodiazepines and cannabis in conjunction have a benefit which neither has by itself, but it may just be that I am dependent on these things and my perspective is blown. On the other hand, the people around me mostly say I seem nicer and more highly functioning on them than not.

• Like Like x 3
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'm about to experiment with vaping/smoking curcumin.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    17. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nice, found anyone that has tried that before? Would be nice if it was more bioavailable that way.

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It tasted weird and didnt seem to do anything immediately, or at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What about injecting it?

20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd think eating with is probably the best way.

21. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah I tried to make a joke. Still, I'm curious if vaping turmeric in whole herb form would work. Since it's barely bioavailable when ingesting I see some potential there. Similar to CBD

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is extremely bioavailable if you just eat something fatty with it.

23. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, with piperine and fat it's at least usable. I think I read that even with these additions the bioavailability is still a long way from 100 percent but I'm not sure. Do you know?

When ingested, about 10 percent of CBD is bioavailable. When vaping, it's much closer to 100 percent. I'm thinking maybe this carries over to turmeric in some way

Some people say that turmeric makes CBD more bioavailable. Seems anecdotal, although I think turmeric is a MAOI so that would make sense. In either case I mix tumeric, black pepper, hemp oil, ground industrial hemp. Does wonders for my joint pain and gets me slightly high, and if the dose is large enough I can get pretty damn high... No wonder they made it illegal in Sweden a few weeks ago.

However, if you "own a horse" and buy industrial hemp as fodder, it's legal... Until you heat it in the oven which activates the medicine.

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      reading the hoops people have to jump through some places and then looking at my perfectly legal garden makes me feel guilty.

TVtKJSp.png

There's a bunch of Super Skunk that's about 14 days away from being perfect.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow... congratulations... I can smell it over the internet...

Just beautiful... nice green thumb dude...

You're a very cruel man... I just drooled all over my nice shirt... thanks for that.

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      come visit me in Vermont and I will give you some for free, as our law allows :)

I can take you on some nice quiet hikes near running water, too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s really nice... Thank you.

I live in Laos, and have lived in Laos for a long time.

Next time I'm home, which is Massachusetts, I’ll bring the family to Vermont.
      Absolutely, an amazingly beautiful place... great politics... great nature... awesome maple syrup... and just amazing.

I spent some there decades ago, in winter and summer... awesome experience... the nature and climate suits me. Laos is too hot, but I can swim everyday which is good for my aching joints.

The laws have really changed.

Thanks again for your lovely invite... ou are extremely wise to live in such a majestic land.

28. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      An association between marijuana use and tinnitus

Abstract
      Objective
      While some advocates have argued for marijuana as a treatment for tinnitus, the relationship between marijuana use and tinnitus is unknown. The objective of this study was to evaluate associations between marijuana use and the prevalence, severity, and rate of occurrence of tinnitus.

Study design
      Cross-sectional analysis of nationally representative data.

Setting
      National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2011–2012.

Subjects and methods
      Statistical analysis was performed on data collected from 2705 non-institutionalized adults aged 20–69 who underwent audiometric testing and were administered questionnaires about hearing, drug use, current health status, and medical history.

Results
      The use of marijuana at least once per month for the previous 12 months was significantly associated with experiencing tinnitus during that 12-month month (X2(1) = 19.41, p < 0.001). Subjects who used marijuana were more likely to experience tinnitus after accounting for covariables including age, gender, audiometric hearing loss, noise exposure history, depression, anxiety, smoking, salicylate use, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and diabetes (OR = 1.75, 95% CI 1.02–3.01, p = 0.043). There were no associations between the severity or frequency of tinnitus occurrence and the quantity or frequency of marijuana use. Use of other substances such as alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin was not associated with tinnitus.

Conclusion
      Regular marijuana use is associated with prevalent tinnitus. However, no dose response between marijuana use and tinnitus was observed. The relationship between marijuana use and tinnitus is complex and is likely modulated by psychosocial factors.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0196070919308877

• Like Like x 1
    29. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOL Bullshit.

30. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I guess that explains my problem ;)

I'm going to eat that entire left Outco container for my flight home.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1