MDMA (a Component of Ecstacy) Potential for the Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by tomytl, Mar 9, 2014.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I suspect they don't. They work on serotonin receptors. However it has been proposed that over use of psychedelics can cause tinnitus. Most likely DMT.

I was microdosing shrooms for the last 2 weeks. No significant change yet. Also LSD did not bring any change after 3 weeks of microdosing - however I prefer the shrooms much more. I want to continue micro- and macro-dosing shrooms this year to have conclusive opinion on it. If anything great happens I will post it for sure!

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/basically-cured-with-psilocybin.25544/

2. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      Thanks for the warning and I'll check out Ibogaine. Never heard of it, but then never heard of Kratom before February.

I do wonder if people are triggered by different elements due to how their tinnitus was caused. It seems, just from reading posts for so long that people whose tinnitus was caused by acoustic trauma have less fluctuation in sound loudness. And more things that trigger it to spike. Just an observation, not science.

Last thing any of us need is a permanent increase. Addiction should have been my middle name, trying to get off the smoking and evening beer. My spike is gradually increasing. I've been habituated before so started the sweet pleasures again :confused:
      I'm committed to moving forward again, as I can't drive myself to insanity again.
      Thanks, I will check that out.

My tinnitus cause is unknown. I worked as a second grade teacher and the end of the year the little kiddos' behavior drove me to tears and sleepless nights. I had started a couple new meds. Wore a nicotine patch lol then the tinnitus hit the roof as it began.

Ok... Did a mild search. Sounds confusing. One site states its illegal in the US. But it's for sale everywhere. What steps did you take?
      I was about to pop antabuse, and a couple weeks worth of chantix but that doesn't help my energy/anxiety levels and will cause a constant mild headache. Ive gone through these drugs a few times before. Chantix causes a spike but I stop once it gets to be too much and it gradually goes away. Lol my husband is a healthy natural person, that's why we got kratom, but he doesn't understand tinnitus, or addiction

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      If his tinnitus has a strong TMJ component, then I'd gather that was the issue. MDMA, particularly in high dosages, can cause bruxism and a sore jaw for many days afterwards.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Fuuuu. Why do people do this thing for fun?

5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because it's awesome. If it sucked, they'd call it misery - not ecstasy.

Simply put, an MDMA high is seratonin (the happiness chemical) rushing the receptors. It's a chemical simulation of the feeling you got during your first kiss, your first homerun, your first time playing a gig in front of an audience that gives a shit - only instead of it lasting for a fleeting moment, it lasts all night.

Any of the shit you hear about on Barbara Walters or in some scare article written up by Joe Biden's people is not about MDMA. It's about METH.

It's used therapeutically to treat PTSD, couples therapy, and depression. And it works exceptionally well - for all 3. It allows people to get over age old wounds in their psyche.

Half this forum is on antidepressants that have THE SAME MECHANISM OF ACTION. SSRIs are Selective SEROTONIN Reuptake Inhibitors. This is just a concentrated dosage. It also doesn't have those pesky side effects of suicide and impotence. So, there's that. Interestingly, as previously mentioned - when someone takes too much MDMA, it stops working. And when people who regularly take SSRIs take MDMA - it doesn't work.

This stuff becoming legal in therapy has potential to crush the anti-depressant business. Hence why it's illegal. Imagine needing 2-3 pills a year instead of 2-3 pills a day. Each pill costs under $10.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've read various pros and cons over the years regarding consciousness expanding drugs. The "con" I found the most intriguing (and credible) was looking at it from a spiritual perspective. This "con" perspective conceded that many drugs do indeed create an expansion of consciousness. The question becomes however: "At what cost".

It went on to compare our consciousness to a rubber band. When we take a drug that expands our consciousness, it often (perhaps usually) causes our concsiousness to actually contract afterwards, to the point of being even tighter than before experiencing the temporary expansion. (Anybody ever had a hangover?)

A more natural expansion of our concsiousness takes place when we do things we love, feel grateful for our lives, give of ourselves in some manner, do creative arts, pet a kitty, etc. This expansion of concsciousness may not necessary last indefinitely, but when it does again contract closer to baseline, it's not as "tight" as it was before we had that experience.

Not sure how well I worded this, but I think the gist is that if we live a rich spiritual life, various consciousness expanding drugs that only give a temporary "boost" begin to lose their allure.

7. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lane I'm not sure I agree with your rubber band analogy. Realistically when stretched, rubber bands lose their elasticity - like the band of an old pair of underwear. I think when abused, these types of things have the same problems. People lose their ability to keep it together.

Just about anything in moderation is safe. Including excess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, Kratom started giving me a major spike. I'm speaking in the present. Normally take a modest amount, but I love the immediate effect it has when I'm just dragging, so I swallowed a teaspoon and my ears are getting scary. No anxiety involved, I'm quite calm, but if it continues I'm not going to be impressed.

What product/label of ibogaine did you buy, and how did you take it?

I don't think I'm addicted to Kratom. I'm just trying to stop drinking and eventually smoking without depression. I've quit for months several times but I'm so low without a kick, and so energetic and content with. But I don't want to end up tinnitus uncontrollably, been there :banghead:
      This is one of those prayerful nights.

...and reading Kratom forums, a teaspoon isn't a whole lot. It was my second dose/ pm. I learn a lot of lessons the hard way, but tinnitus is/can be more than hard.

I hope your spike has passed:ROFL: and I'll head your warning if I'm not an idiot:cyclops:
      :thankyousign:

9. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @nills how long did the Kratom spike last...? It's bad, I know I just posted last night when it hit. I passed the Chantix idea I had for now lol. Don't dare. Can you tell me what microdose Ibogaine means exactly and where to look for it.
      I looked online and there's too much conflicting information.

10. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      A proof-of-principle study of the short-term effects of MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) on tinnitus and neural connectivity.

BACKGROUND:
      This study was conducted to investigate the short-term behavioral and neurophysiological effects of MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) on tinnitus perception.

METHODS:
      A double-blind randomized controlled cross-over design. Part 1. Behavioural measures of tinnitus following 30 mg MDMA or placebo administration (N = 5 participants) and Part 2. Behavioral measures of tinnitus and correlations between pairs of apriori regions of interest (ROI) using resting-state functional magnetic resonance imaging (rs-fMRI) before and after 70 mg of MDMA or placebo (N = 8 participants).

RESULTS:
      The results to MDMA were similar to placebo. For the 70 mg dose there was a significant reduction after 4 hours in annoyance and ignore ratings. RsMRI showed decreased connectivity compared to placebo administration between the left hippocampal, right hippocampal, left amygdala and right amygdala regions, and between the right posterior parahippocampal cortex and the left amygdala after two hours of 70 mg MDMA administration. Increased connectivity compared to placebo administration was found post MDMA between the right post-central gyrus and right posterior and superior temporal gyrus, and between the thalamus and frontoparietal network.

CONCLUSIONS:
      Following 70 mg of MDMA two tinnitus rating scales significantly improved. There was, however, a placebo effect. Compared to placebo the rsMRI following the MDMA showed reductions in connectivity between the amygdala, hippocampus and parahippocampal gyrus. There is sufficient proof of concept to support future investigation of MDMA as a treatment for tinnitus.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31814488

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
    11. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      This drug should be legally available, now it's very hard to get in pure form and experiment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    12. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor