Meclizine (Postafen, Bonine) Helped a Guy to Cure Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by nookie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been taking one pill in the morning .25 mg and one at night before bed, and it seems like my tinnitus has quieted down nearly to it's old level. I'll keep taking it for a while to see if that's just "placebo effect" or if it continues. Continued input is appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
    2. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What is the situation?

3. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It seems like it has not been bothering me as much the last few days. I wake up and I don't notice as much. It may be placebo effect, or it might be helping me. I think it may be helping me. It's not like the stuff is an addictive medication, it's available over the counter in most places, so give it a whirl if you want.

4. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Glad to hear there is some improvement! do not think it is placebo, placebo is just when u do not think that is placebo...play od mind :)
      Would u continune to taking it? How many pills u take daily?

5. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I have concluded placebo, :( sorry guys

6. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      That's okay, @Deep, I'm just glad you followed up and got back to us. Thanks!

7. piii007

piii007 Member

Hello friends... One observation is that Bonine's active ingredient is Meclizine and Dramamine's is dimenhydrenate. Although both are for motion sickness, they are chemically different. I found both Bonine and Dramamine at Walmart. I only found Niacine in 500 mg tabs... more than recommended in this thread. I have not really tested the combination but hope to soon and will report back. Since Joel's success was with Bonine, I'll try that first.

8. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Bonin, same as Postafen is based on Meclizin-hydrochloridum, Dramamine not.

9. Luke

Luke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Hello everyone! I'm new to tinnitustalk and greatly appreciate the existence of this forum and everyone who's been contributing to the many discussions I've read through here. I've had tinnitus for 3 weeks now in the form of a high-pitched and consistent electronic-sounding noise coming from both ears, and probably got it from a one-time loud noise exposure 5 weeks ago. This thread has made me optimistic about lowering the T volume, and after talking to a pharmacist at Walgreens I found that Wal-drams II has the Meclizine active ingredient we're after, but doesn't have the artificial flavorings of Bonine. I'm not sure Bonine's artificial flavors are as bad as artificial sweeteners might be for tinnitus (Acesulfame-K, Aspartame, Saccharin, Sucralose), but it seems like Waldrams-II is closer to Postafen in regards to inactive ingredients, so this might be a good option to look into for us US residents.

I found out about Wal-drams II after I bought Bonine three days ago. I'll be in touch once I have something to say about Bonine's affect on my T volume, and will probably switch to Wal-drams II to compare between the two and report back soon!

• Like Like x 2
    10. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Going to try it today. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm using Rugby Travel Sickness 25 mg Meclizine pills.

11. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      yes i did lose all hearing in accident then had cochlear implant about 8 years afterward. but have had T about 32 years.... very hard to cope with at times.

12. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      So far no effect...

13. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:

Hi, wellcome.
      Are u sure that your T. is caused by the incident 5 weeks ago, and your T started 15 days after that?
      It sounds strange for me :/

14. Luke

Luke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Hi Markoana, thanks for having me! I'm really not sure what caused my T. One afternoon this ringing started and the first thing I thought of was how I shot a gun (once without hearing protection, but protected right after that) at the shooting range about 11 days prior. I thought that my T could've been a delayed onset, so I've been considering myself part of the noise-caused T group, especially considering that I'm a healthy 25-year old and on no medication. But I did have an awful sleeping schedule thanks to being busy in grad school, so maybe noise has nothing to do with it, and my body just needs time to recooperate (I hope!).

Now it's been 25 days or so since my T started. I've noticed a little improvement from the constant buzzing. On a scale of 1 to 10, my T probably dropped from from a 6 to a 5 after the first week once I stopped stressing about having T, but has stayed at 5 ever since. When I wake up first thing in the morning, the volume does seem to be at a 4 however, but only for a few minutes. I feel like the high-pitched electrical ringing has also gradually changed to sounding more like cicadas.

Yesterday was day 5 of trying out Bonine. I switched back and forth from 2 to 3 tablets (25 mg/tablet) a day for four days, and yesterday only had one. I noticed no affect on my T. I think that because nothing changed at all, I'm not going to bother with Wal-drams II, and will consider different remedies.

If noise isn't what caused my T, maybe I need to focus on taking better care of what I eat and how much I exercise. I've already forced myself to have a regular sleeping schedule no matter how busy I am. I'm also planning on switching up my diet, maybe taking some supplements and herbs (after consulting my audiologist), and if I notice any changes in my T I will let you all on tinnitus talk know.

15. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hm, interesting. I asked that because I am also confused, how, and why my ears are ringing/humming. I was in the midle of my studying, and after one hour of daily nap, i woke up with one ringing ear, like a whistle from inside of head. After one month, whistle stoped, but my both ear started to rustle (humming). And they are still 2 months after.
      I do not see connection with hearing, my audio hearing test are OK, MR of neck&Head OK, blood test, everything OK...

So, I am in thinking that problem is in the Brain-brain nerves...nervous, stress, lot of studying, bad sleeping shedule, gym...
      my whole head is in that humming, it is just most notable in the ears... Definetly job for a psychiatris and Neurologist...
      ENT in this case are unseless-my opinion

16. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @Luke, have you had a hearing test?

Most of the time there is (some) hearing loss alongside with tinnitus, but of course not always...

17. Luke

Luke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      @markoana, it sounds like we had the same hectic lifestyle before our T began. I also found that my ENT wasn't able to offer any good advice other than "just get used to it," so I'm going to see an audiologist next week who's been approved by the American Tinnitus Association for another opinion. Maybe a neurologist next (hadn't considered that yet!). I haven't had a blood test yet, but it sounds like we're in the same boat for how we probably got our T, so let's definitely stay in touch about our progress. Have you had the chance to get back into a normal sleeping schedule, or has anything you've tried made your T slightly better or worse?

@Markku. Hello and thanks for the question! The ENT was able to confirm that my hearing is perfectly normal for someone my age, in both ears. I plan to take additional hearing tests down the road to see if this isn't just the beginning of early hearing loss, but for now it seems like it's not.

• Like Like x 1
    18. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:

Markku, if there was acustic trauma and T started because of that, there is real connection with hearing (loss).
      But I also ask-
      How many people in the World have some hearing loss- lets say 200.000.000 (but I think more)
      How many of those 200.000.000 with some hearing loss have constant T? no more than 5-10 % percent (but I think a less)
      How many people do not have any hearing loss but have T- A lot, I think about a half of them.

So, how realy close is a conection of T with hearing loss? This is a problem of unsolveblng T syndrome. Because this sindorm is just subject of ENT's, and I am sure that they can not resolve it ever...

@ Luke
      Of course, we will stay in touch, I also see that we have basicly same situation... No, I have not been back in normal sleeping schedule, T realy occupies me a lot, and the night is worst part of the "day"...

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @markoana
      "How many people do not have any hearing loss but have T- A lot, I think about a half of them."

I'm not sure if that is correct.

I think individuals experiencing tinnitus more often than not have some degree of hearing loss, too.

You are right though, many people with hearing loss don't experience tinnitus.

Generally speaking, it seems, if one experiences tinnitus, the likelihood of them having some hearing loss is great (over 90%), but the other way around the percentage isn't nearly as high.

http://www.hear-it.org/Close-relationship-between-Tinnitus-and-Hearing-loss

The study referenced in the above article is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14763234

An ATA article (PDF): Tinnitus: Is It the Sound of Hearing Loss

IzJnulD.png

eth7mXi.png
      wjTgoni.png

6UlZ9QQ.png

20. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      The conventional wisdom is that hearing loss causes tinnitus, and the odds are that is really the case, but I still wonder often whether anyone has proven which is the cause and which is the effect. I know when I had my high freq hearing test I asked the audiologist, "How do we know that the hearing loss is causing the tinnitus rather than the tinnitus is just making it difficult for me to hear the sounds during the test (i.e., the T is masking the hearing test beeps)." Her answer was, "We really don't know for sure which is causing which."

For those scientist truly seeking to crack the tinnitus nut, I hope they at least ask themselves this question as they formulate theories and treatments.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Interesting, i'll try this on monday and report. I must add i've always been severely affected by motion sickness. I can get sea sickness by having only one foot on a boat.

If anyone is from France here, this pill is called AGYRAX, it costs 2,70€ and 30% paid by social security... :)

22. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:

Mick, yes that is what I am talking about. ENT's and audiologists are biggest problem, their convetional attitude and knowledge. Almost 40 yaers they did not done anything about T problem, they know just to tell u-live with it! Or they give u betaSERC.

Markku, as u see this is study 30 years old, 98% with T are older than 55? They say 5% of US population have a T, 5% is 15 million just in USA? Do u realy believe that 15 millions of americans have a T??

23. Alfredo

Alfredo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2011
      50 million Americans have tinnitus, and approximately 5% of world population.
      I have tried postafen and did not help me. i believe because i have a good hearing. i think that postafen will help only those people who have tinnitus because of the acoustic trauma and problems with the inner ear.
      I wonder what now? if is not the hearing that is the problem, then only what remains is the brain. any suggestions what to do next?

24. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      50 millions in USA with T? No way... When I say T. I mean permanent T.
      50 millions maybe have had T for a day, or a few days, but I do not treat that as real T.

This forum is one of the biggest in the World, and has "only" about 1000 members, that has to say u something...

5% of world population with T? For example, I have 1000 friends on FB, it means that 50 of them have T? believe me, for now I do not know any of my FB friends that have a T..and 50 of them, no way...

PS. Definetly brain, brain nevers need to be treated...

25. Alfredo

Alfredo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2011
      i know a couple of people who have tinnitus. two of my friends, one friend of my mother and that to name a few. as for the data, check on the site of the American tinnitus association. Tinnitus is a big problem for many people in the world. a large number learn to cope with the problem. when i spoke to my friends who have it almost all life they say that tinnitus does bother them anymore.
      if the brain nerves need the treatment then antidepressants and anti-anxiety pills should do the trick. did you try it?

26. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not jet, that is my last option.... But definetly that will work for me...because T started without any noise acciden, in the midle of studying...
      In the light of that, i have saw few moments ago link from one guy on other topic http://www.autifony.com/autifony-hearing-tinnitus.asp.

It says Research shows that tinnitus usually arises within the central nervous system, and may be caused by increased neural activity in regions of central auditory pathway. Thus treatments for tinnitus need to focus targets within the brain, and not the cochlea. That is my theory also...

27. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are other forums on tinnitus, like the one on yuku. There are 3 very big french forums with more than 1000 members on each. You have the german forums who are also very active. Not everyone speaks english :)

By the way, the first time i came across the term "tinnitus" was on a guitarists forum as i'm a musician and i can tell you there are endless forum posts on tinnitus in many of all the internet musicians forums all around the world.

Also, i think people don't really like posting in "tinnitus only" forums because most of them are depressing. I found tinnitustalk to be one of the less depressing on the web.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tried one pill last night and one this morning. No effect whatsoever.

29. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert. No hearing loss identified.
      My tinnitus has returned a few times, full force or almost I'd say. I have not taken the pills every day, perhaps not even most days since I discovered them. Placebo is powerful and I don't feel as confident in Postafen as before, but hope is not entirely gone. Overall I have to say it has been better all days since Postafen.

I'm sorry to hear it has not appeared to help most of you.

I'm not at all as bothered by it as a month ago, but I wonder if all can be attributed to placebo regarding the Postafen. Most days it's not very annoying, and as long as I hang out with people I keep my mind almost completely off it. Being alone is the worst, but I've begun to just let it be there without reacting too much to it.

A few times a new tinnitus sound has appeared for a few minutes and then gone away. I know it has happened to my right ear (most of my main tinnitus is in left) but don't recall if it's been in left too.

Another thing is sounds that seem to be similar to my tinnitus. I'm not always sure I actually hear my main tinnitus, but I'm annoyed because it sounds like it. I feel like it could be counterproductive to habituation, but I don't see much I can do about it beyond trying to ignore it.

I have found my tinnitus does shift in how it sounds. It kind of sparkles a bit sometimes with a short moment of real silence (I think). I wonder if it's like that all the time and I simply notice it better when the tinnitus is worse and I'm in silence.

Is it better to be in silence to sort of recalibrate if you are not bothered by it, or is masking always the best route?

30. CPE1978

CPE1978 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      To me this shows the emotional component of tinnitus and the fact that it is in likelihood the brain and not the ears that need support. I am by no means an expert, but as I mentioned in a previous post I have had some degree of tinnitus for 20 years or more since a child. It was just normal to me, almost a sound track to silence. It was only six months ago that I developed a consciessness of it as a condition and since then I have almost I UN-habituated to the point where it keeps me awake. It seems louder because I am concentrating on it, but I am pretty sure it isn't.

Equally I may be talking nonsense :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1