Meclizine (Postafen, Bonine) Helped a Guy to Cure Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by nookie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert. No hearing loss identified.
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I see that most of you have given up on Postafen by now. Still, I'll go pick up some shortly. It's been a week since my spike started and maybe, just maybe, it can take the edge of the acute T.

...not that I think it will. So if it does it can't be placebo. ;)

3. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Well, I'm back. I tried 1 pill att about 11:30 CET. Nothing happened... until maybe 15:30-16:00 when I started reacting worse to my T. I don't know if Postafen has anything to do with it, or if it was a general anxiety attack due to my current spike/worsened condition. I don't know what to make of this website, but if I interpret it right, Meclizine (Postafen) can actually CAUSE tinnitus. Thus it would make sense that's what happened. It was horrible.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/meclizine/tinnitus

4. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn annoying that many substances seem to help some with tinnitus but exacerbate it for others!

5. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't edit posts older than some amount of time. Markku, do you know how long it is?

I wrote a bit about a concert I attended in another thread.

Now, I can't tell since I haven't taken Postafen long enough streaks or very scientifically to really know, but I think I'll have to call placebo like Deep did. I remember taking it one day and it did nothing, tried with 50 mg too and no better. Postafen didn't permanently remove the tinnitus by taking it before a flight either, though I weren't bothered by it that weekend except short occasions. Do note I took picamilon at the same time. Doses were 25 mg Postafen and I think 100 mg picamilon, might have been 200 mg.

I'm trying Tinnitus Tamer now as my new hope. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've never heard of picamilon, but a quick googleing of it shows that it apparently has been used to treat tinnitus. What is it?

Btw, funny how almost any medicine can be googled with hits if you add tinnitus to your search. :)

7. Philippe

Philippe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi All, so many T-players here) any allopathic treatment remains a potential hammer. When Labs , Doctors & Gvts will finally catch that they have an interest to build a cure because of direct & undirect T-costs for society, it will be a mix (as we all know) of brain reprogrammation, drug being there to help him ... let's wait say 5-10years

As about Postafen or Dramamine , I have no feedback from here in France .... Anybody in the area ?

8. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi Philippe,

Postafen in France is called AGYRAX, it's the exact same lab that produces the pills. I've tried it (2 pills) to no avail.

9. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Niacin somehow combined with GABA which is supposed to calm something in the brain down. I don't really know. :cautious: I felt very calm the first days, but might have been placebo as well.

10. Philippe

Philippe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      James, Thks for info about Agyrax - I doubt antihistamic properties will any impact on central T - and/or collateral remaining hyperacousia ... now, I am taking TONE which contains Niacin (hi Esko) in relatively modest proportions ... no big result for now ) - salvation (if ever) is maybe in somethg Rivotril (with anti-epilepsy properties ...) and whats is made currently by Auris medical (AM 101 test)

11. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I recently returned from a cruise and because I am prone to sea sickness, I used the sea bands and Bonine, which is meclizine 25mg. I took one a day and I don't know if it was a combination of the sea bands and the meclizine, but my T was greatly reduced. A pharmacist I met on board said meclizine was often prescribed for T and that I should have my doctor write me a prescription for 90 days worth of meclizine. He said he realized it was sold over the counter, but that it was costly to buy it that way. I just saw on Amazon that you can buy 1000 pills for $30 but they are 12.5 mg.?? I may try it on a daily basis and take two tablets daily, one in morning and one before bed. Anyone else found these helped while cruising?

12. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I haven't tried the Bonine yet, because I've heard from others that it causes extreme drowsiness. Did it affect you that way?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Sea Bands yet by themselves, for reduction of tinnitus? That would be a more natural way to control tinnitus. Anyone? If not, I may try it myself, and report back here on how it works.

13. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you have access to the internet, you can get meclizine on Amazon for anywhere from $8 for 100 tablets to $30 for 1000 tablets. Check it out.

14. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Karen I tried the less drowsy Dramamine, but it is 25mg of meclizine and that and the sea bands worked great. I am going to try just taking the meclizine like every other day and see what happens?? After a while, the sea bands bother my wrists and I want to take them off. If you try just the sea bands let me know how it works.

15. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @hulagirl, that's a deal! I've never used Sea Bands, so I don't know how tight they are to wear on the wrists constantly, but I may give it a try.

I hope the meclizine every other day works for you. Please do report back on how that works. How are you doing right now? Is the tinnitus still low?

16. Mekhail Blanco

Mekhail Blanco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2008
      sounds good, im gonna try it thanks.

17. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I reckon it had something to do with the altitude from travel.

18. Tommy TuTone
      Alienated

Tommy TuTone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      Hello Esko, I first read your post about the effects of Dramamine, Meclizine & Bovine with Niacin. I tried it 2 nights ago. The Dramamine helped me sleep, (it's been over a month). I took it again last night along with the Niacin. Nothing worked. My anxiety is terrible. did not sleep all night. I am glad I found this site but I am getting very worried. The hissing in both ears is worse when there is outside noise, IE:Tv, stereo, radio, etc. silence helps but the hissing is still there. Thanks for you advise.

19. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      How did the dramamine, or what ever its called over there, work out for you?

20. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I tried Wal-dram( meclizine HCI 25 mg ) took 2 tabs last night and 1 this morning. Definitely noticed something of a reduction last night but it is quite tiring. And this morning not too sure. Worth 8 bucks? Yes

• Like Like x 2
    21. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Keep us up to date on how it continues to work out, please. What about the original version with dimenhydrinate? Thanks.

22. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haven't tried that one yet but I really overall don't think its doing THAT much. Just a minor reduction.

23. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Last night I did feel something though today not so much. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Mikel

Mikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      For those who want to try Meclinzine in Europe but can't buy it locally, Google for Agyrax. There is one pharmacy in Belgium and one in the Netherlands which ship it internationally. It's a pack of 50 and much cheaper than ordering Dramamine from the UK. Mine will arrive tomorrow but I don't have high hopes about it.

I read that this is a miracle medicine for women who suffer from morning sickness in case that you know anyone who could need it.

25. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I think my t was noise induced,would meclizine still help? I am going to try it out today, could i get it at walgreens or cvs pharmacies over the counter? I will come and tell my results, anybody?

26. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I took lots of meclizine when my vertigo first started. It barely helped with vertigo and did nothing for tinnitus.

I take betahistine now, and it helps with the dizziness a little bit, but also does nothing for tinnitus.

27. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Go try it. Get the non chewable Walgreens tabs.

28. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Was your T noise induced? I wanna try meclizine.

29. Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I recently took some bonine during a trip and did notice that my T wasn't as noticeable or bothersome. Could it have been because I was so excited and distracted being on vacation that I didn't have the time to really focus om my T? Maybe. I just took another pill of bonine because my T is pretty loud tonight, we will see if it has any effect. I'll try anything at this point

30. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      @Tara721 any update?

Does this still work for anyone?