Meclizine (Postafen, Bonine) Helped a Guy to Cure Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by nookie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @Deep, sure am. Going to pick up a box probably next week :)

Nothing to lose... they're widely used for motion/sea sickness, and should be pretty safe.

Fingers crossed! Will report once ingested the first pill :)

2. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

@Markku
      I will also report back as soon as I give it a go (getting a box sent over to the UK) hopefully you will have some good news to report back if you end up doing it before me, this will put me in good spirits to start my experience! Just quickly I understand you got your T from the removal of ear wax or due to an infection, or are we talking sound exposure too?

3. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Esko's helpful attitude was really nice, but are you absolutely sure you can't get the stuff from your local pharmacy?

I would be surprised if in the UK one needed a prescription for this, as it's so widely used for motion sickness (and available over the counter at least in some European countries...)?

Might be worth it calling your local pharmacy and ask whether they have any products containing meclizine, used for motion sickness.

And yep, my tinnitus originated solely from ear syringing. I had no ear infection, and the syringing itself wasn't loud enough to cause tinnitus. It's possible the syringing was administered wrong and somehow damaged the tiny bones in my ears. Who really knows the reason. :(

It's quite rare for tinnitus to appear due to this, but it has happened: http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=462

4. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Interesting stuff, yeah I have found a way to get it locally but only in quantity which is quite expensive, I don't want to spend a lot of money to find it does not work etc. But yeah I'm sure if I really looked I could find a pharmacist that maybe does a small amount but I have already been offered these 10 by Esko so I am going to take him up on that.

5. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert. No hearing loss identified.
      Good find! Perhaps with niacin is even better.

I still experience some noise intermittently, but it's much less annoying than before. It appeared as kind of whooshing and suddenly turned tonal when I was in bed the other day. It's now higher frequency than I've had before, or simply lower volume. I'm not sure.

Recap: I went to that rock concert in December, acquired tinnitus that overlayed all sounds. Majority in left ear. It wasn't necessarily very loud, but since it put itself between or over all sounds it was very annoying and couldn't be masked by my efforts. I tried several types of noise, but they didn't really help me. In silence, the tinnitus was very obvious.

Edit: When I visited a doctor in February (I think) it turned out I had large wax plugs in both ears. After removing those I could obviously hear more clearly, but the tinnitus didn't go away. I believe it reduced in volume though.

I keep talking about it in past tense, which I sure hope can be continued. I really hope this works for you too, it would be wonderful. Amazing if it actually works on most tinnituses.

You're right I can't help everyone, but we'll see where that limit is when it's reached. :cat: I replied to your message.

Please just PM me if you like to have some sent to you, and we'll keep this thread clean. I'll have to get money up front for further requests. Paypal preferably. I also hope this isn't against any rule of the forum, but it really shouldn't be.

Edit: Lots of new posts I didn't see when I composed this, hope I didn't miss anything.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Esko,
      You have given me renewed hope. Thanks! I know it may not help everyone, but it's worth a try. I have dental surgery coming up this week, so I'm going to wait until that is over before I try it. I'm so glad it has worked for you!

• Like Like x 1
    7. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      i have been on meclizine for over 10 years. not taking niacin. haven't seen an improvement in T since taking it. basically i'm taking it cause i have inner ear vestibular dysfunction in both ears.

8. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Hmm interesting. I read on another post that you have lost all hearing due to an accident, is this true, if so sorry to hear that.

9. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Trying this today and for the next few days , will report .
      Im also having IV Magnesium treatment , starting on Friday....

10. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Where did you get the idea for IV Magnesium treatment? Do you have some other condition that requires it, or is it solely for tinnitus?

(I know Magnesium calms me and it supposedly has lots of other positive effects. In my case it hasn't improved the tinnitus, but it's still a good substance.)

Just asking because you are the first who I know to go for IV magnesium treatment (if it's meant to be a tinnitus treatment, that is).

11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, meant for Tinnitus. My doctor recommended that I would try this . It has a flushing effect , you get real warm when you get the IV , as well as that he claims this has helped some people, but needs at least 5 treatments , one per week.I talked to the doctor who administers the IV and he told me that he has helped some people with Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have gone since my last post Sunday night without taking any Postafen and it has been pretty great to be in unbothered silence. It pretty much returned a few hours ago though, so I took another one now. It's not as annoying as before but it will probably soon be if it continues. I hope these pills work again! :bag:

• Like Like x 1
    13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Esko,
      That is great! What is the recommended dosage of these pills, and are you going to continue taking them indefinitely?

14. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't hear the noise today. (y)

I simply took one at around 17:30 first day. Second day when I woke up, not sure if one before bed too. Next few days I took in the morning and before sleeping. Then a few days without until last night. Today it's good!

The box says 1 pill an hour before your trip, and after that 1 per 12 hours. It's supposed to give effect for 12 hours against motion sickness.

I will take them when/if noise returns as often as I have to.

16. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Happy to hear that, Esko! I was wondering what your T is like? Mine is at ultra high frequency. I wonder if this med may only work for specific type of T, like yours.

17. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Took my first today, no noticeable change but my T has been behaving itself recently so it is naturally quite low at the moment. It may of taken the edge off though, will take another tomorrow morning and throughout the week, I'll report back soon.

18. piii007

piii007 Member

Dear Friends, I'm going to try the dramamine + niacin treatment as well. Esko, I think you are so lucky to find something to help you. My T is ALWAYs On. All I want is a bit of time in complete silence. One thing that is very strange. My husband had an acoustic neuroma surgery that left him totally deaf in one ear. The surgery required drilling right through his ear drum! The doc said that he might develope T after the surgery. He has no T thank goodness but don't you think that it is wierd that one can be deaf with the added insult of T? Thanks to all for the thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Is he totally death in that ear? That is strange I agree. Did he have perfect hearing in that ear before surgery? Maybe if one can still hear the majority of frequencies, but there are a few corrupt (like most of us), this is what tinnitus likes to act upon, your brain is so used to hearing sound that it replaces the missing parts of the puzzle, but who knows.

20. piii007

piii007 Member

Yes, he was getting really deaf and that is how they found his tumor. They had to drill through the eardrum to excise the tumor. Another strange thing is that his brain adjusted after surgery to thinking he can hear from both ears instead of mono... now that is cool.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. stickywicket

stickywicket Member

Tinnitus Since:
    22. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
    23. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope this helps as answer. I'm not very good at explaining, but if you ask the right questions I may be able to answer them.

Yes, I realize I'm probably very lucky this works, which I am grateful for. Mine was also always on, constantly. I can see this drive someone mad. :banghead:

24. stickywicket

stickywicket Member

Tinnitus Since:
    25. terry123

terry123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Since reading about postafen on this site, I have been taking the US equivalent Meclizine. I am taking 50mg chewable tablets morning and night. I have experience a great deal of relief from the sound volume and am sleeping much more solidly.
      My pharmacist and doc both say the I can take up to 110 mgs a day without exceeding the FDA dosage max.

The drug is available over the counter at my pharmacy and at Amazon.com at a cheap price. No problems it getting a good price and supply.

I am excited and happy about the effects so far for 5days. I would like to know if anybody has had more positive or negative experiences with meclizine or dramamine. I am glad to report a positive effect on my T.

terry123

• Like Like x 2
    26. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Terry,

I'm glad the meclizine is continuing to work for you! Does it work for both your ringing and your pulsating, or just your ringing?

27. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey friends, I am glad that this thing works on you. As i can see, maybe this could be the best working drug for T.

Terry, did u bought "Meclizine", or some other drug with meclizine? I ask it, because I saw on Amazon- Bonin: it is written that it makes all day protection, works up to 4 times longer and causes less drowsiness than original DRAMAMINE. Just comercial words, or? :/

And question for all, is it safe for long term use? Is it gona be effective for a 2 years, as it is at the begining (did your doctors said anything about long term resistance)... I hope it can be helpful more than a few weeks, or months...without resistance on this drug.,..

Sorry for my English, hope u understand :)

28. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

So as you may know I took 1 tablet last time with no real noticeable results. I looked up the recommended intake and found that you can safely take 50mg, so I'm pretty flared up at the moment so took 2, 25mg tablets.

I have to say I really do think it has taken the edge off, if not lowered the volume gradually! I will continue to test these but only when I have flare ups, (not really worth it when your T is behaving).

Will have a clear conclusion soon and hopefully I can rule out the placebo possibility.

• Like Like x 3
    29. oatsey

oatsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      I ordered some bonine and it should be arriving tomorrow, so I'll come back with the results.

30. Alfredo

Alfredo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2011
      I took last night before sleep and today in the morning one dramamine pill but so far nothing changed. I was wondering how long does it take to work? Did it work after just one pill?