Meclizine (Postafen, Bonine) Helped a Guy to Cure Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by nookie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. nookie

nookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2006
      Hi,

Bonine on Amazon.com

I've just found this post on Swedish forum here:
      http://forum.studio.se/index.php/topic/93942-snart-kan-vi-bota-tinnitus/ (in Swedish)
      where a guy posted a post and I will try to find these pills.

I have problems with tinnitus, the most on the left ear. And it certainly has arisen given that I do and play all the music in the headphones. Having just arrived home after a stay abroad, and since I'm both afraid of flying, and easily carsick I was recommended postafen 25mg motion sickness tablets. And when I ate them disappeared the beeping sound and it really has not come back yet. I will contact the company behind postafen on Monday and talk about this.

Postafen contains meclozine that suppresses the inner ear functions, and it seems to be just that which removes beep rustling sound. This is a prescription at the pharmacy.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Looked on WEBMD.com no such drug, called something different in North America?
      You will keep us posted?
      Thanks
      Danny

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    4. Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I had no results when searching antihistimines in the search feature, although I read somewhere online that they can be effective.

Does anyone know of any available (brand name) drugs that would be comparable in the US?

5. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Heard of Dramamine, I'll have to look up other drugs you listed....reallly hesitant to get into RX drugs..at this point anyone heard of the possibility of a deviated septum causing or enabling Tinnitus? Mayo Clinic report...I may be reaching a bit...really lousy day..

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I found this on Wikipedia, and the drug is also listed on Drugs.com. In the U.S., it is known as Dramamine or Bonine. Yes, Danny, this is a prescription drug. Haven't heard about tinnitus being caused by a deviated septum; I'll have to look that up!
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclozine

7. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Curve Ball from left field..not making it up...Mayo Clinic report... those with deviated septums likely to have Tinnitus..caught me off guard as well...When we first get tinnitus we read and read etc.. ran into that posted statement..

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nookie

nookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2006
      In Swedish pharmacy this is the pills: http://www.apotea.se/postafen-25-mg-tablett-10-st
      This is not prescription drug, it can be bought without the prescription =)

Well in 2 weeks I'm flying to Thailand so this will be definitely tried then.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Any luck with this? I might try it myself. Will pick it up from Apoteket.

10. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hiya Danny ,deviated septum? mmm Thing is how did you get that deviated septum .As for me broke nose badly playing sport needed corrective operation ,on the nose and the consequent deviated septum.A week after the break my T kicked in.If you google Sphenoid bone ,that is at the back of the nose in the skull if that moves off kilter that could be the cause of the Tinnitus.So Is the deviated symptom just a clue of what is going on???

Good luck,Pete

11. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello Pete
      Broke nose in one punch fight, I stopped the guys fist with my face...but its been 37 years since that break and tho my nose was never set correctly and drips from time to time its never really bothered me looking like the elephant man....it's just in my journeys of looking for the miracle cure for tinnitus I happened to read the mayo clinics report on T and it struck me as odd? That Id not seen that possible sympton on any of the other million things that we've all covered before when we became part of the Tinnitus club...Is the deviated sympton just a clue of whats going on?.....Not according to Jasterboff and Hazell...
      Thanks
      Danny

12. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      let us know how it goes! thanks:)

13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Anyone tried this yet ?

14. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I'm very curious as well. @Niko, let us know how it's working for you.

15. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Tried it last night. There was no magic.

16. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

anyone else?

17. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert. No hearing loss identified.
      Hello!

I read this a few days ago and decided to give it a shot, though my hopes weren't very high. Turns out it actually worked for me! My tinnitus has diminished to such levels it does not annoy me anymore. I'm not even always entirely sure it's still there, and I try not to listen, but I think I still have a little left. Even drinking alcohol today did not aggravate my tinnitus.

I'm so happy, this year has sucked. I got tinnitus at a rock concert in December and have been anxious, angry, and annoyed by the sound since. It wasn't extremely loud, but loud enough. Majority in the left ear, but some in the right ear too.

The noise was constantly there, sleeping was the only escape. It was such a disturbance to my thoughts, and nobody seems to really comprehend what it is like unless they also have it.

I have continued taking these pills in fear it might return. One per day and sometimes another one for the night so I wake up medicated. The box says the effect spans 12 hours. I read about them to see if they're safe to use this way and it seems they are. I have taken 6 of them over 4 days. I don't think I actually need them anymore, but I don't feel like taking that risk right now.

Now, I have been known to freak out about these things and possibly create them in my mind, so whatever the actual cause of my tinnitus was is unknown. I do know I experienced obnoxious noise and that I'm not at this time.

If you want to try this and can't get it anywhere, I can absolutely assist with that.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      My T started in January because of woodworking for long periods without a break. I have been anxious, angry, and annoyed also because of T
      I know how you feel about people not understanding the disturbance it causes. They say” I know somebody with T and they say it doesn’t really bother them”. I wish they could experience what we do for a short time so they could understand. I would never wish T on someone though.

19. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

That's fab! how much for a box? I have found websites on the internet but are in other languages, willing to give this a try, could you assist me? Although I would have to wait until the end of the month.

Also can you keep us updated on your progress? Try not taking it for a day and see what happens. I am very glad it has improved your condition mate!

20. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Just found this, they are selling in UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001V9FK2C/

That's the same chemical right? Biit priiicey, but if you really do recommend it?

Also what type of tinnitus do you have, reasonably high frequency? Do you experience dizzy spells? Is it pulsatile or steady? I would like to see if I can match my sound to yours as I think mine was due to loud exposure also like you.

21. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert. No hearing loss identified.
      65 SEK for a box of 10 pills. Approximately 10 USD or 6 GBP.

Yes, I will keep you updated.

Today I did not take anything and it was gone all day. Took a half just minutes ago though, before I read your post. I seem to have a little noise still, but I'm not entirely sure it's any more than I've had all my life or if it's from something in my room. My fridge makes a noise that feels like it's around that frequency. I'm slightly anxious about it coming back, but I only feel like that short moments so far.

Thank you!

That is the same, but you probably don't need 1000 pills. Unless of course the effect is not permanent.

It was high frequency. Unforunately I never managed to find a specific frequency or even a range. I found it difficult and I currently don't own any headphones. No dizziness ever. Steady (tonal?), but it did seem to vary a bit at times. I'll try to come up with better explanations.

I can mail you a box right away. If okay with you it's easiest if I simply send the blister pack in an envelope. I could of course flatten the box and include it that way! Money can wait until you have it. Shipping and envelope should not be much. Say 10 GBP grand total?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Sure do that, this is very kind of you, I will private message you my address now.

23. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Wow, that's very promising. @Deep, let us know what it does for you!

24. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

of course.

25. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Is it in any way possible you could send me these Postafen tablets as well ? I realise you probably cant supply everyone on the board but if its possible , I would love to try this .

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For those of us in the U.S., Postafen is the same thing as Dramamine (a motion sickness pill). I found some information on the use of Dramamine, combined with niacin, to relieve tinnitus. Here is the link:

http://www.healpain.net/articles/Tinnitus.html

I have not tried this yet myself, since I'm taking several other supplements. If someone else does try it, I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.

27. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    28. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I will add vitamin b complex when I do it, works pretty much in the same way as niacin

29. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really? I didn't know that; I'd much prefer to take vitamin b complex than niacin. It says that you can get a "niacin flush" if you take too much of it. Do let us know how it works for you!

30. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member