Medications Used for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by just1morething, Mar 10, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Hello The Linds,

Yes, for the most part it still works and am probably addicted to it. Adding and/or changing to Remeron is another good way to go. I was using Remeron, but it didn't seem to help my T as well as Nortriptyline, so I stopped taking it for now-- but I think it is a good drug for sleep and possibly mood, with minimal side effects.

2. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @just1morething --- how are things?

Did Nortriptyline actually reduce your tinnitus; or did it give rise to more "good days"?

All the best, Golly

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      That is a good question. For me, I only took a few meds during the beginning of my T and I would say they did help me cope but looking back I don't think my T was any different or lower, it's just I was able to deal with it better with the meds controlling my stress and anxiety about the T. This old small study showed that Nortriptyline helped almost all the T patients who took it.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Hello@Golly - Being I am having a bad day of T, I can't say for sure that Nortriptyline is helping me right now, but it could take some time to build up in my blood and brain chemistry. I decided to quit taking it because of the bad dry mouth side effect awhile back. Now I am taking 25mg 3 times daily (my doctor's idea) and it does not seem to cause dry mouth near as bad as (1) 75 mg/day at night. I am also taking clonazepam .5-1mg/day.

Being I am starting over with divided doses, it may take some time to determine if it helps my tinnitus. I thought it helped quite a bit while I was at the 75mg once/day dose previously. I am very frustrated with my head noise just like everyone else. I was doing well the other day, but was busy, so was distracted somewhat. I have a hard time duplicating my good days though. I did talk to my TMJ doc today and he thought if T was TMJ related, that it could take months of using appliance (elastic mandibular advancer) to benefit for some reason. WTH? I think it has something to do with the elasticity or memory of the joints & ligaments to remodel themselves back to more normal. I guess I will keep using it, as it works for sleep apnea also.

I hope you are doing well,

-just1morething

5. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      how do you sleep without drugs? I did not take any for two night and did not sleep

6. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Cher 69, I just started t 2 weeks ago, I had a problem with my thyroid which went up and then down and my t started...I started taking Ativan for sleeping ,.much agaeinst my will, but the two days with out sleep was bad..How do you sleep with out drugs...Your answer will be appreciated.

7. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I take a 30 mg pill of Remeron when things get bad..Remeron was prescribed for my depression but did little for it. It has proven to be a very effective sleep aid for me but I seem to get immune to it if taken daily so I limit my use to the bad days.

8. Eric Gabrielsen
      Jaded

Eric Gabrielsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      James:

What a relief, I thought I was the only one with little jedis in the ears. Was really high yesterday with the barometric pressure, too. Freaky. Just my luck living in PacNW! More rain please!

9. Nancy Lee
      Amazed

Nancy Lee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2013
      Hi, I am new here. I have pulsatile tinnitus. One thing that helps is a supplement called Serrapeptase. When I take I don't get the whooshing sound in my ear. I am afraid to take too much of it because it is an anti inflammatory and blood thinner and I had issues before with anti inflammatory like Motrim. So I take low dose on and off. But it helps me a lot. Do you research.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I got some nice headphones and I listen to youtube music for sleep, nerves, etc etc
      this calms me down before bedtime. I still take sleep meds it just seems to work better.
      Yet I wake up with exhaustion dont know why? I think its a meds hangover.

11. Harold
      Cheerful

Harold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      your using zolpidem Tartrate for sleep als o known as ambien right?

12. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      "That's what the T-Shirt says."
      Lol I used to be in a band a few years ago (not the cause of my tinnitus) and that was a line from a song we wrote. Silly kids being silly.
      Ricardo