Mild Tinnitus, Worried About Health and Going Deaf

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 13war08t, Jun 5, 2018.

1. 13war08t

13war08t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

I've recently noticed that I have mild tinnitus whenever I am in a quiet room without much ambient noise, then when it starts it continues over the ambience. There's usually two or three seconds of silence then a soft ringing starts. I'm not sure if noise exposure or neck injuries caused it. I've been to four or five tinnitus-causing concerts in my life where it was gone when I woke the next day and used to listen to headphones a lot on high volume. I also have forward head posture and have had many headaches and stiffness over the last three years from using my laptop too much for uni assignments and have been seeing a chiropractor for a while.

Now I only use over ear headphones at low volume when I have to and always wear earplugs at concerts or rehearsals, so I'm not worried about the tinnitus getting worse. Since I started wearing earplugs though I've had full feelings in my ears afterwards, more earwax draining, occasional pain and some abnormal sensitivity to loud sounds (eg feeling the need to block my ears when listening to a live orchestra.)
      I am worried about getting Meniere's Disease when I'm older as I've read that it can cause deafness and that cervical spine injuries can cause it.
      I am a pianist and composer and music is my life, and I also have Absolute Pitch which I consider one of my biggest gifts, so I'm afraid of going deaf.
      Could I prevent/lower my risk of Meniere's if I reverse the forward head posture? I don't seem to have any other risk factors of the condition.

If it means anything my tinnitus is usually the B above middle C (around 480 Hz) when it is a pure tone. Sometimes it's just non-pitched ringing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk
      @13war08t ,
      Try to focus just on coping with tinnitus and staying happy and sleeping well and obviously your neck.
      I have had Menieres 12-14 years due to a virus.

I have a neck problem since falling and needing head stitches and a big egg head so might need it checking.
      Try keep calm and relaxed and play soft music when you need a break from your Tinnitus sound.
      love glynis

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @13war08t - Did you work with your doctors to root cause your T?

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EARS. DO not expose them to loud sounds nor do EAR TESTS that ENT Will want to PLEASE DONT. I had Mild T and now I have Severe T and Hyperacusis, please DONT USE HEADPHONES EITHER.

MENIERE usually comes with hearing loss and vertigo. I think you might have noise induced from the concerts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If it is mild, try not to worry too much...