MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Discussion & Experiences & Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Wrfortiscue
      Probing

Wrfortiscue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Do whatever you can to find a quieter one lol.

2. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah, lol. I’m hoping I don’t have any veins or capillaries that are messed up. Because if it’s not a PLF, CSF, or intracranial hypertension, it’s something that can be detected on an MRI most likely. I just know that will worsen me.

What a nightmare!

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Wrfortiscue
      Probing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Do all the precautionary stuff. Have some steroids on hand just in case. Take NAC and Magnesium before or whatever. Double protect if you can etc. I think MRA checks the vessels?

Good luck. I’m sure you’ll be ok unless you have bad hyperacusis.

4. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I have severe noxacusis lol, so if I do it it will probably put me in a grave. I’m gonna try everything first. Thinking even a CT with contrast maybe.

So MRI is like last resort if I start getting life threatening effects. Thanks though, I’m gonna keep seeing doctors and see what they think.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Probing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Sounds like a plan.

6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Based on what I have read here it seems like the Canon model is quietest. How do you go about finding the closest one?

With the GE “Silent” model can’t you just make sure before the appointment that they will use the “Silent” software? And make it clear if they can’t, you don’t want it done?

7. GeorgeLG
      Depressed

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower after yrs of rock guitar, constr & comp shooting
      I am also interested in this. I contacted Canon through their website but got no response.

George

8. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      I had angio-MR in 3T machine four days ago.

It was much louder than 1.5T. Even with double protection, the sound was entering through my bones, the bed was trembling under me.

I took NAC before and steroids in the following two days, just in case.

No spike or tinnitus change until now. Nevertheless I will never do it again. Nothing has been found in the MRI results.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      So your audiogram showed no hearing loss? Was there anything close to a loss in it? Like maybe -15 or -20?

10. Tau
      In pain

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      My biggest dips are 10 dB, one at 6 kHz, one at 16 kHz, not including 10-15 dB loss at very low frequencies which I've always had.

11. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      What very low frequency losses do you have? I’ve been diagnosed with Ménière’s and have losses of -35 dB @ 250 Hz and -25 dB @ 500 Hz. Other than that my hearing is pretty flat until 16 kHz. My low frequency loss also fluctuates from -35 dB to normal depending on the day.

Do you have fullness in the ears? Any vertigo?

12. GeorgeLG
      Depressed

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I now have to deal with an MRI and would like to minimize noise exposure.

Do I understand this right: all Canon (previously Toshiba) Vantage machines (Orian, Galan, Titan and Elan) have Pianissimo silent hardware technology (magnets in vacuum chambers) and some additionally have Pianissimo Zen software technology to further reduce noise levels? Did anyone here use a Vantage machine with a bad experience? Any good experiences to share from others with hyperacusis and ear pain?

Thanks,
      George

13. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004/05
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @GeorgeLG, I just took MRI with a Siemens. I believe it was Siemens MAGNETOM Avanto 1.5T.

Had earplugs and earmuffs over. I was probably more stressed about the situation than it was insanely loud.

Loud when you have noise sensitivity, yes. Felt like 10 long minutes. But I was okay. I tried to focus on my breathing, and staying as calm as possible. That helps too.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Tau
      In pain

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have Ménière’s. I had a bit of fullness after my trauma, now it's mostly gone, never had vertigo in my life apart from one occasion (jetlag). Here's my LF audiogram:

IMG-20210829-171633.jpg

(10 dB loss at 125 Hz).

And the HF one:

IMG-20210829-171647.jpg

I used to have a 10 dB loss at 16 kHz, now it's only at 6-8 kHz? It fluctuates, I guess.

15. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Interesting audiogram. Your hearing is really good. You don’t have any real losses. I’m around -5 dB or -10 dB from 1 kHz to 16 kHz.

Are you in the US?

16. Tau
      In pain

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Europe - before this my hearing was even better. I could hear bugs on the floor, etc. In my teens I could hear up to 21 kHz. But all the high frequencies sound wrong to me now, and I have confirmed auditory neuropathy (probably synapses).

• Winner Winner x 1
    17. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      How old are you now? What did you do to get tinnitus? How did it begin?

Ever since my ear became stuffy in 2013 nothing has sounded right in it. It has become worse. That was probably the beginning of Ménière’s.

18. Tau
      In pain

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm 32. It began with new headphones (listened to music too loud for a month, the new headphones sounded amazing, I had never been a loud music lover before that). I got a beeping tinnitus, very very quiet. I then tested my hearing at home and increased the volume at 16 kHz because I did not hear the tone. Well, I did not hear it at max volume (a few seconds of exposure, about 110 dB, it must've been clipping or something because I do hear the tone at my otologist's), so I switched everything off. That started my sound distortions and some high frequency tinnitus. This happened this June.

Music sounds horrible, especially complex music like rock.

Sorry about your condition, hope we get a treatment soon!

19. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Anyone decline an MRI?

They seem useless. If you got tinnitus from acoustic trauma, what is the point of an MRI? I believe it's to rule out a tumor or something like that.

I think it accomplishes little and risks worsened tinnitus.

What's the ratio of discovering anything helpful (predicting 0) vs causing a spike or worsened tinnitus?

20. GeorgeLG
      Depressed

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree that often, testing and drugs are overused. I declined a hip MRI for this very reason. Low perceived payoff and high risk. Glad I did because lifestyle modifications and home remedies have made this tolerable. My ENT never wanted an MRI but rather a CAT scan of the sinuses which is now on hold.

Recently, however, my cancer has spread and is of such a type that my Med Onc needs to rule out acoustic neuroma since that could be consistent with my history and I have repeated ear pain.

In this case I am going to do it and I am researching a location with a Canon Vantage MRI machine using Pianissimo noise reduction technology (hardware and sometimes software) along with buying high NRR "MRI safe" ear muffs to go with my 3M Earsoft plugs.

It's a risk but it seems appropriate now, unless they won't allow my bombproof earmuffs - that may change the calculation. I think I have the MRI location and I just need to confirm with Mayo if they can work with them for the scan.

Point is, it depends. I don't think I have ever read of someone actually having such a thing found on this site but I have been here less than a year, I am sure that others will chime in.

George

21. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      I have had three head scans until now. Earmuffs were not allowed, not because of incompatibility with MR, but because my head was put inside a sort of helmet in order to keep it in place and still, there was no space for earmuffs. They put their sponges inside the helmet to cover my ears. I have added my earplugs, they revised them and said they were OK.

22. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Yes, as already described and discussed in all the various MRI threads in here, Canon/Toshiba are the ones to go for to get the quietest possible exams.
      I have read extensively all the MRI topics and did not find any single comment mentioning bad experience (meaning spike or worsening) after MRI with Canon machine.

I did one a year ago with a Canon Orian and all went fine even if it still appeared very noisy to me and I was a bit in panic but afterwards, it was clearly more due to my extreme level of anxiety rather than the noise level itself...

I have tinnitus + mild hyperacusis (which used to be quite severe few years ago).

I must do 2 other MRI exams in the upcoming 2 weeks... booked on Canon Orian 1.5T again.

I am using Earsoft FX earplugs + special MRI headset.