MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Discussion & Experiences & Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree. I've had an MRI and MRA with contrast dye, and I experienced no change in my tinnitus. The contrast dye they use for MRI's is called gadolinium, and most people have no side effects whatsoever. My doctor told me to drink lots of water after the procedure, to flush out the kidneys, and I had no problems at all.

Also, it's good that you're having an open MRI. That's what I had, and it was open on the side, which kept me from feeling claustrophobic.

I'm sure you'll come through the procedure without any problems!

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I recently had an MRI scan, it was a closed one and it was very noisy but if you use good ear protection you should be fine, do not worry about it, it had no effect on my T whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Thegeen
      Thinking

Thegeen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      MRI questions. My ENT ordered an MRI of the Brain and IAC to rule out Acoustic Neuroma or other cochlear pathology. Here are my issues and questions - please respond if you have an experience that will help. 1) I dont want to have the contrast dye because scientific studies have proven that even in people with normal kidney function, some gadolinium remains in the body. 2) I'm claustrophobic and had to leave my MRI exam yesterday because I couldn't stay in the machine. 3) I prefer to have an open MRI under sedation but I've heard the images are not very good due to the lack of strength of the MRI magnet. Will and open MRI/weak magnet using contrast dye identify an acoustic neuroma? 4) If open MRI with contrast will not identify acoustic neuroma - I've considered going to a facility that has a 3T MRI machine. The magnet is very strong and produces images that are very clear. I believe this scan would make the need for gadolinium unneccessary due to the very thin slices that the radiologist can see/take. My concern with the 3T machine is 1) it can heat up your body tissue and cause damage and 2) it can cause hearing loss because of the exceptionally loud noise. The only other alternative would be to go to a 1.5T machine scan and use contrast. What is the safest and most effective option? Is it 1) open MRI weak magnet with contrast dye 2) 3T strong magnet without contrast or 3) 1.5T magnet with contrast?

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Interesting thread.

So here's my thinking ...

Any MRI is going to pick up a large acoustic neuroma. But by the time you have a large acoustic neuroma, the therapeutic options are limited.

So if you are going to undergo an MRI, you want to have it done in the type of unit and with the type of technique that will be the most sensitive - in order to pick up a small acoustic neuroma.

Now the technology is always improving, but currently that technique involves doing a study with and without gadolinium (contrast). Should you request an "open" MRI? Only if it can yield results as accurate and sensitive as a closed MRI. Ask the doctor who's ordering the scan to look into that for you.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

5. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      So whats the safest MRI in case i need to get one?
      What do I ask for?

6. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      They're all safe - just be sure to use earplugs.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

7. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      thank you Dr. Nagler.
      So in case i would have MRI for neck would this also be sufficient to relate to the ear stuff?
      thx

8. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      No. An MRI of the neck would not be sufficient.

When an MRI is indicated for tinnitus, the test should be "MRI of the brain and IACs with and without gadolinium to rule out acoustic neuroma."

Dr. Stephen Nagler

9. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Understood. I though problems with stiff muscles that connect to the ear somehow can relate to T on the MRI, but it seems like this is not the case.

10. Gio Makyo

Gio Makyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/19/2014
      Going in for an MRI this Friday. Machine is a Toshiba Vantage Titan which peaks out around 85db, so they say.
      If that's treu, I should be able to handle it with earplugs, anything louder and I don't want to go near it given my hyperacusis. Anyone had a scan on one of these Pianissimo machines?

11. MrT

MrT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hey you guys,

I have to go in for a brain MRI on Monday. Because their machine holds the head in a small basket, I can only use earplug (can't double up with ear muffs).

It sucks because I just recently started habituating pretty good too.

I did a spinal MRI today with both ear plugs and ear muffs. The MRI machine was still loud as heck and I definitely did have hyperacusis for a few minutes afterwards but felt pretty much normal about an hour later. But I can't even imagine how loud that thing must be without the ear muffs.

Anyways, I know others have talked about this before, but I could really use some positive anecdotes from people who have done the MRI and didn't develop worse T or hyperacusis.

BTW, I did ask them to give me a sedative prior to the MRI because I figured my hyperacusis was always a psychologically induced one. So perhaps if I'm out of it during the exposure to loud noise it won't be as bad after the fact.

12. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      I'm going to the ENT on the 31st after 8 months of T.

Asides from the general questions I will ask about T, is it worth requesting an MRI scan for (god forbid) brain tumours?

I have anxiety so the peace of mind I would get from either them finding nothing or finding something and dealing with it would be beneficial!

13. rhiannon67
      Worried

rhiannon67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/15/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not yet known
      Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and have only posted on the intro thread.

I've had unilateral tinnitus + moderate sensorineural hearing loss on the left side for a couple months (best guess). ENT Doc sent me Friday for the MRI, which was very loud, but not overly horrible or anything thanks to the Valium;)

The hard part is now; waiting for results. I am so afraid they're going to find something awful. Part of my fear probably stems from the fact my father died from Brain Cancer in his very early 50s... I know it's not heritable or anything, but the connotation is enough to have me on edge that the results are going to find some sort of brain mets or whathaveyou:eek:

On top of this, my Brother in Law last year was Dx'd as having an Acoustic Neuroma for very similar symptoms.

Anyway....I am trying to stay positive. My husband is going away on one of his trips tomorrow (he's an airline pilot) so I will be home alone here with our young son likely when the news comes through.

I hope it's nothing bad.:nailbiting:

If the tinnitus is not attributable to any known problem, I am hoping a hearing aid can help cancel out the noise. They make much better hearing aids now than ever before.

14. MrT

MrT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hey Guys,

Update. So I got the brain MRI today. I was very worried about the sound but I used a pair of foam ear plugs and they held my head in place with some air pillow type deal on both sides and the sounds were not bad. Interestingly enough, the spinal MRI I got done on Friday, where I wore both earplugs and earmuffs, was much much louder. Anyways, for people who are worried about the level of sound in the future, don't worry, a pair of earplugs will work just fine.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      First, make a list to be prepared to see an ENT, who often do that *watch the clock* behavior. Plus it will help yourself.
      From my experience - these 10 questions are good to begin with:
      1. What kind of sound is the tinnitus? (e.g. high-pitched, low? clicks? whooshing with heartbeat? etc)
      2. Consistent or how often - worse at night?
      3. What meds are you taking? Ototoxic by chance?
      4. Hearing loss of any sort?
      5. Any other head/body pain along with this tinnitus? (e.g. jaw or neck pain?)
      6. Vertigo? Migraines (how often or when?)
      7. Hyperacusis?
      8. Vision loss?
      9. High or low blood pressure?
      10. Full blood-work done? Deficiencies/thyroid can be a culprit.

This will help rule out many issues before doing a MRI. One can learn a lot from blood-work alone, which will inform any abnormalities/red-flags (e.g. high white blood count requiring further workup). Good luck!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Dear all,
      I read two or three pages but cannot take more for now : I 'v been hesitating a lot about the MRI whihc was assigned for today. I knew it was loud and I was afraid like hell. I was pla,nning to have my earplugs, but since the clinic is right opposite to my place , I passed by a few hours before to ask a question about the contrast ( wheather it's based on iod or not, cause I have problems with my thyroid as well) . I wasn't prepared . I didn't have my earplugs with me. The secretary said they will give me all that is necessary. When I entered to the place with the cabin the techincian said they will give me the ear muffs and that it's safe. I must have repeated like ten times that I'm afraid about my T getting worse after , that I want a double protection..they kept reassuring me it's safe ! ( but waht does it mean safe ? that it won't damage the hearing? ok, but can you guarantee it won't tune up my T?)Gosh, I was laying there being sure that this procedure will cost me my life, that T will get worse..being angry at all these people for not letting me have double protection. Angry with fate that sb just skipped an appointement and they took me instead and therefore I didn't have my earplugs with me. The machine made a huge noise. It only lasted 10 mins. I had the earmuffs quite strognly stuck to my head, but it didn't make me feel secure. After all that, I left..I didn't notice any worsening of T.
      But I'm still very afraid...maybe the worsening will come tomorrow? IS that possible ? Please; those of you who know more wnd who have more experience , tell me : if it didn't inluence my T right away that means I don't have to worry about it ? I'm so angry with myself I didn't just leave the place or be more assertive. Bless you all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Gosia my dear, I've made MRI three times in the past three years (one each year). The machine is very noisy, I agree, but it cannot worsen your tinnitus because it is just a magnetic field scanning your brain. For example, a smartphone close to one ear has a much stronger magnetic field (so I have been told by a doctor). Don't be afraid and try to stay in the machine untill it ends its cycle, because it's very important to check if you have problems in your brain. My problem with MRI in the claustrophobia that makes me so nervous, untill I begin to sweat and I almost cannot breath. But I resist and I constantly think that nothing bad will happen. And nothing does, I assure you. So, if your doubt is only about any worsening to your tinnitus, it will not happen :)

Une étreinte affectueuse,
      Vale

• Like Like x 1
    18. lakvij
      Caffeine

lakvij Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03 2015
      What's the update after mri . Are u better for flexi?

19. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      I am reviving this thread as I just had an MRI and it was absolutely terrible. The technician gave me earplugs and even with washcloths wrapped around my ears, my tinnitus is through the roof. I have extremely reactive T and it gets worse, even when I wear earplugs so I am terrified that this will be my new "normal" volume. Any supplements I should take to reduce the volume? I already bought some more magnesium so I can use that. It is unbelievably loud in there...and to make matters worse, the IV contrast made me sick to my stomach and I threw up my whole breakfast. I never want to do another MRI unless they find out a way to make them quieter! Anyone have an increase after the MRI and if so how long did it last? Hoping this doesn't last long but I'm not too optimistic....

20. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
    21. gfmum1

gfmum1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an MRI scan yesterday so I thought I'd share my experience, as I found this thread very informative when I was told I would be having an MRI & hope I can help someone else in the same way.

I had my scan at a large NHS hospital in the north west of England. My letter said I was having "mri scan internal auditory meatus both" which, from asking a question on here, I thought would mean both with & without contrast. Initially I was very nervous & as I'm a bit claustrophobic, that aspect of the test worried me. But by yesterday I wasn't nervous at all - I considered myself lucky to get one on the overstretched NHS and knew I just had to get it done & that I could just take deep breaths to calm any claustrophobic feelings.

Anyway, I was taken through to the MRI waiting area at the time of my appointment & was given a locker to put my Ereader & phone into - they were the only items I took with me, and I was asked about jewellery/metal items. I was then left alone for 10 minutes, until the radiographer came out, very rapidly asked me all the questions I'd answered on the questionnaire, then took me into the MRI room itself. I took my shoes off, lay on the table and a wedge was put under my knees for comfort. I was given a set of ill-fitting headphones and a bulb to squeeze if I needed help. I was also offered an eye mask but refused. I asked about being given an injection but was told that I wasn't having that, the letter I had received was just a standard one. I was told it would be noisy & advised to keep my eyes shut. The whole preamble was very rapid, almost rushed, and then a cage was placed over my head & within seconds I was in the machine.

As others have already described, it's extremely noisy, I don't think the headphones helped much at all. I didn't experience any claustrophobia, and did in fact open my eyes several times which didn't bother me at all (a pleasant surprise!). Between 10-15 minutes later it was done, and they couldn't get me out of there fast enough. I was slightly dizzy when I stood up but even so the nurse was ushering me out of the room to get the next patient in.

Overall, not an unpleasant experience in itself - just the feeling of being on a conveyer belt - in more ways than one! Unfortunately several hours later my tinnitus got worse which I do suspect is connected to the noise of the scan, and that's persisted today. I'm also disappointed not to have had the contrast injection; I know that sounds odd, but I felt that would have given me a better chance of finding the answers to the cause of my dizziness & tinnitus.

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @gfmum1 did you not wear earplugs underneath the headphones? I always do when I have an MRI.

23. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I had a 1 HOUR MRI done. I was very worried. My T was slightly louder afterwars, but that might also be due to the fact that my T is reactive, and also because of the vibration. returned to baseline maybe 20 mins after. I also wore -30 db foam plugs additionally.

24. gfmum1

gfmum1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @linearb No, but I really wish I had! I thought I'd be ok, loud sounds haven't really affected my tinnitus before this. Thankfully as the day has gone on, my tinnitus has begun to revert to "normal" levels so I'm hopeful that the increase is only temporary. It could also be coincidental: I'm really tired at the moment which always makes my tinnitus worse.

25. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I had an MRI done for my neck today, and let's just say it wasn't that fortunate of an experience.

I used the foam earplugs they gave me to cancel out the T, which were actually quite good, and declined wearing the music headphones as they amplified low frequency noises which are the most dangerous in the MRI machine.

There were periods where the noise reached 90+ decibels even with my earplugs in. In my personal experience I am extremely vulnerable to noise of that volume for even seconds at a time.

And of course that was the case here because I lost some hearing and had a spike in my tinnitus. All my previous experiences with MRI's resulted in no hearing damage and no T spikes, so I wonder what was going on in this case.

Is this likely to be more permanent damage, or is it likely to resolve over time? What have other's experiences been in MRI's when wearing properly fitted hearing protection? I'm really scared that I made a terrible mistake.

26. MrNobody
      Angry

MrNobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      hi friends , I have an MRI today to hopefully rule out A.N.
      I am having a lot of facial numbness today on the side of my worst T ear . This is my majof worry !
      I hope it is just stress and not a symptom of A.N
      Last night my once good ear started humming and buzzing loudly all night and both ears hurt. both jaws hurt a lot .
      To say I am fed up is an understatement ... As usual .
      Thanks for letting me vent .

27. Dave111
      Transparent

Dave111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makeing music in band and headphone on to long.
      Good luck i hope they can help you keep us in touch.

28. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      acoustic neuroma is rare, you don't have it.

Was the MRI loud?

29. MrNobody
      Angry

MrNobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hiya , ok i just had the MRI scan . Yes indeed it was very loud . The machine buzzed, banged and beeped very loudly for 8 minutes. I had a cage over my head and face and it was very claustraphobic . It had no effect on my T . Glad its over and now the long wait for results!

30. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a second opinion from an ENT, he said that he recommended me getting an MRI but it wasn't rushed...his office is calling me to see if I've gotten one, should I get an MRI? Is it needed? Are they noisy?