MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Discussion & Experiences & Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I have had four MRIs in the last six months, including one that took nearly two hours. No impact on my tinnitus, not even a little. But my anxiety before the first one? Yup, that created a short-term spike.

They are loud, but hearing protection helps. One of the MRI facilities gave me earplugs, then foam adhesive earmuffs (which they usually use as ear protection for children), and then large foam pads were secured around my head and jaw. I could barely hear anything. The techs had to yell to communicate with me.

One other thing, it's not the same constant noise the entire time. There are moments of quiet as the machine adjusts and different sounds based on the scan settings. Also, the MRI machines vary in volume based on manufacturer.

2. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Why so many?...
      I just would hate to get it done and it will be costly even with insurance, thank u for the info!

3. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I had an MRI and MRA/MRV at one clinic early on. Since I've had other health issues that seem to point to autoimmune concerns, I went to the Mayo Clinic. Their equipment and techs are far better than the local clinic I'd gone to, so they wanted to repeat the MRA/MRV and do a full body MRI to rule out MS.

4. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've heard nothing but good things about Mayo Clinic!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. TinnitoToto
      Buzzed

TinnitoToto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm having an MRI to the head, would it aggravate my T
      Has anyone had an MRI

6. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      See posts above. Many people here have had an MRI. The test is often done in cases of one-sided hearing loss and tinnitus. I've had four in the last six months. No change to my tinnitus or hearing. The facility administrating your MRI should provide earplugs and you can request earmuffs from them -- hospitals should have them since they're used for young children who cannot use earplugs. And for a head MRI they use large foam pads to help position your head. The plus is that these will also help block noise.

7. TinnitoToto
      Buzzed

TinnitoToto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Tinker bell

• Like Like x 1
    8. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi everyone!

I have tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss following a loud microsuction procedure over a year ago. I also have chronic fullness in both ears which includes pain and a burning sensation at times (I have always suspected cochlear hydrops). My bilateral tinnitus is very loud. I have a constant "eeeeeeeee" sound but also a kind of hissing/shhhhhhhh which is also constant, but it sometimes has a pulsatile element to it like a "swish...swish...swish" noise.

I saw a new ENT recently who wants me to do an MRI on my head/ears to rule out vascular problems, neuroma etc.

My ear problems are definitely noise induced following the trauma of the microsuction, and I'm skeptical that an MRI will reveal anything. I have had a CT scan which showed nothing.

I am terrified to have the MRI as I'm afraid the noise will make everything worse (and for nothing). I had an MRI for something else about 4 months after my noise incident, and my tinnitus/hyperacusis increased afterwards. This was despite wearing foam plugs and the headset provided.

Do I do the MRI and risk making matters worse? If I don't, the ENT won't see me again. I'm desperate for help but don't think an MRI will reveal much about tinnitus following an acoustic trauma and I'm afraid it'll make matters worse. What do I do?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've had two on the head/ear structure. It's loud but they do give you ear protection.

10. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi again...does anyone have any advice relating to my above post. I have to make a decision about whether or not to have an MRI but I'm terrified it'll make my T, H and HL worse. Thanks

11. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Just use earplugs and earmuffs and you will be fine. Remember to insert the earplugs right to your ears. :)
      Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. lucluc
      Fine

lucluc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,
      I have an internal auditory meatus MRI later this week and was wondering if anyone had any experience they could share?
      I asked if I could bring my own ear plugs but they said no, they offer headphones and you can bring your own CD, should my hearing be protected enough with this? It is only 15 mins long so i'm hoping i'll be okay?

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You should be fine and they will provide foam plugs go under your headphones if you tell them you have tinnitus.
      Let us know how you go on.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    14. lucluc
      Fine

lucluc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      thanks glynis, that's great to know.

15. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Bring your own earplugs I am sure you can use them! MRI is very loud. When I was laying there I was 100 % sure my T will be worse forever. But I didn't get a permanent spike. I think it can't damage your hearing if you use earplugs. I think you already know how to insert earplugs correctly, if you don't look a demonstration video. :) You will be fine.

16. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I was surprised, I didn’t think a machine that was going to be checking my ears would be so loud! Saying that, it is not loud enough to cause permanent damage as long as you make sure your ear plugs are inserted properly. The ones they supplied me with weren’t the best or maybe I didn’t fit them properly. Even so, I was still okay and you will be too.

17. lucluc
      Fine

lucluc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just wanted to reply back that I had my MRI today and it was totally fine!
      They gave me foam earplugs and headphones to put over, I was only in there 10 minutes and whilst the noise was a bit overwhelming at first, I got used to it after a few seconds. Also, my T hasn't changed noticeably since and so can't complain about it at all.

• Like Like x 1
    18. h-m-1994
      Confused

h-m-1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 3rd, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TTTS + Stress
      My appointment for the open field MRI is due on Thursday, however I'm considering cancelling because I am currently suffering from a spike since last Friday, which I'm hoping goes away.

It's gone from a static sound to a chirping cricket sound, which will hopefully go back to what it was previously.

Should I go through with the MRI as long as I have ear plugs and ear muffs for protection? Will that be enough to not result in another spike?

19. Anthonyr
      Wtf

Anthonyr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, sorry about creating two threads in a row. I have a MRI tomorrow. The letter says that it will be a MRI on my inner ear. I was just wondering if that scan usually includes Brain? I have quite a few neurological problems. Along with tinnitus. Would be nice to rule out MS.

20. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Evening

I am supposed to be going to have an MRI on Saturday but am really not sure because most of the posts on here say they are not a good idea to have because of the noise and radiation????
      I only had T in right ear to start with 4 months ago but no my left ear is nearly the same as right ear but off and on. This hissing 24/7 is pushing me over the edge..........what do people think I should do about MRI
      Ps I think my T is noise induced but who knows...

21. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ring them up to see if the scanner can be set on the paediatric setting quieter for children and use foam earplugs and their headset.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
    22. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      MRIs do not use radiation. CT scans use radiation, you may be confusing the two.

I had four MRIs in the past year. I wore foam ear plugs, the tech applied foam adhesive earmuffs over my ears, and then large pieces of foam were placed on either side of my head in the headpiece. I could not hear the techs unless they shouted.

Whether you need an MRI is best discussed between you and your doctor. No one here can really make that call for you. For me personally MRI made sense because I have severe unilateral hearing loss and tinnitus along with a recent history of other unusual nerve-related concerns.

Incidentally I also had a CT scan last year, too. I try to avoid radiation when possible, but sometimes a minor exposure is worth it to rule out severe conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Aingeru

Aingeru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello there,

I just received my results of a cranial MRI I had to check if there is something wrong with my left ear (I have strong Tinnitus and general dizziness/mental fog) - the letter says that nothing was found and I'll be refered to a Tinnitus clinic. It is the first time I had such tests so, I just want to see if someone knows: If I did have any kind of brain tumor or such things, it would be shown on the results, right?

As mentioned, I had a cranial MRI scan but, I am not sure if they only checked my ear and nothing else.

Thank you very much in advance.

24. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes. It would appear on an MRI. A cranial MRI is of the head, not just the ears.

25. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The general answer is yes - that's why we run those tests.
      However, mistakes are possible, and there could be false negatives. It happened to me with my CT-scan, and I finally found someone who saw the problem after about half a dozen doctors looked at it.

Don't get me wrong: it's definitely good news to not have anything show up, but don't let that be an absolute that you will never question. Mistakes can and do happen: figuring stuff out on CT or MRI is not an exact science.

Good luck!

26. Aingeru

Aingeru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers, really appreciated. I thought maybe they only performed a specific scan from only my left ear area even though they called it "cranial scan". I see, so even if I can not take the good results as 100% trustable, at least they checked not only my ear but also my brain - head, overall.

As said, thanks a lot.

27. anna_xx

anna_xx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkniwm
      Ever since I developed tinnitus and hyperacusis 5 months ago, several doctors advised me to do an MRI scan.

I canceled the scans 3 times now because I’m really scared it will get worse (the tinnitus and hyperacusis). The tinnitus and hyperacusis started 5 months ago when I was very ill and had a lot of medication and a couple of MRI’s. I don’t know for sure what caused it, but I’m scared that things I do will make it worse.

Who has experience with MRI scans? And did your T or H get worse?

28. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Just wear earplugs, MRIs are VERY loud but I wore earplugs PLUS a noise reducing headset. Every hospital I've been to has a noise reducing headset available for MRI patients. I've had no negative effects on my tinnitus from having MRIs. If you wear the earplugs + headset the MRI noise will be much quieter.

29. Emer
      Ape-like

Emer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress related
      Hi there,

my name is Emer and I have only posted once or twice on this forum.

I probably should have looked at the posts on here already but I am really looking for support tonight re appointment I have for MRI tomorrow of the pelvis which I have to have now as I originally had an ultrasound to avoid it.

But because I have a bladder issue which at the moment is causing more harm to me believe it or not than the tinnitus I cannot avoid it. I am extremely lucky in that the tinnitus is so intermittent now after having it for two years this November.

So of course my anxiety is through the roof which of course doesnt help matters at all.

I am already so distressed with other health issue so I really need help to calm myself down. The reality is that I have to trust that it wont activate sound and it it does that it will only be temporary.

I have asked for ear muffs but if not possible will just put my ordinary rubber ear plugs in underneath the ear plugs and breathe and trust and hope for the best!

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts much appreciated.

30. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Emer,
      You will be fine, the scanner will be lower down.
      You can take foam plugs to put under their headset and they put a cushion under your knees to ease any pressure on your lower back .
      Don't worry and have a relaxing evening.
      Let us know how you got on.

love glynis