MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Discussion & Experiences & Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      The reason I had an MRI is because I have unilateral T--it is protocol in this instance to rule out a tumor before an audiologist will do an intervention--TRT or maskers.

It was very expensive --thousands of USD. My insurance covered it thank goodness.

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Yep, I have unilateral T as well. I don't think there is a 'T protocol' here in Finland at all. All ENTs seem to be more or less clueless. :) I could luckily get an MRI without having to pay for it myself though...

3. Vampire

Vampire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I made my MRI last week, they didn't found anything. Going to show it to the ENT in two days.

My insurance paid for it but normal prices here in my country is around 250-350€.
      If I used my Social Security it should be around 20€ (I think).

Next time you need a MRI you can catch a plane, make it in here and still pay for a all week in my country. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It can also be useful for detecting auditory nerve swelling or damage from compression so it has its uses.I had an mri and ct scan 4 years ago which showed nothing.Hearing tests like OAEs are more benifitial for diagnosing the problem.If the results are inconclusive i.e no hearing damage detected BAR tests and EEGS may be used to see if there is excess electrical activity in the brain.If all these tests show nothing then your guess is as good as any....

• Like Like x 1
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I had both an MRI and CT scan because I have unilateral tinnitus, as well as unilateral pulsatile tinnitus. The purpose of the tests was to rule out any tumors, fistulas, or other obstructions that might have been causing my PT. It is pretty standard procedure for doctors to order these tests for pulsatile tinnitus sufferers. My tests were all negative.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Both MRI and CAT..Nothing showed up abnormal. Mainly used to rule out tumors, etc.

7. theserge

theserge Member

Ear wax build up and cleaning by syringe: about 8 years ago I started getting a major wax build up. I swam a lot. Eventually I had major blockage. The ENT I went to used water syringes. My T intensified after that. Anyone have similar experiences?

8. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Ok so my doctor has recommended I go for an MRI. I developed T after getting hit on head while playing soccer. CT brain was normal and all hearing tests normal along with the OAE test. I have heard people coming out feeling worse after getting MRI done ? I am nervous and don't want to end up feeling like a zombie and regret later :(

Any experiences? Suggestions? What can I expect out of this ? Is this really necessary and has some benifit over the CT scan?

9. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Asian,

I can understand your worries. Had 2 weeks ago a MRI myself, it was OK.
      Only suggestion wear ear plugs and put on if possible another ear protection device.

CT can be done to, difference is CT is because of radiation more harmful. MRI has officially know to date,
      no side effects. I do encourage you to rest afterwards and the day after.

All best I hope it helps

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I recently had an mri with no bad effects. Just make sure you use ear plugs. The collar that held my head in place also covered my ears. You will be fine.

11. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I get several MRI's a year (for another unrelated condition) and they don't affect my T at all so you'll be fine.

12. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Done with the MRI. I used foam ear plugs and the technician covered/packed both my ears with sound absorbing thick sponge as the muffs that he provided couldn't fit comfortably on my head. Although I was able to tolerate the sounds well, I feel worn out and tired and my ears don't feel good after the scan. I had fleeting T 5 times in my left ear after the scan when is very unusual. The same ear is having on and off mild blocked feeling. T is somewhat more noticeable after the scan fluctuating back and forth between ears. I hope I have not done any damage to my poor ears :(

13. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      I have to go for Mri end of month for my T , scared, vdo not like close places ..get lots of anxiety ..how do I handle it..thanks

14. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Hello alifalijohn,

How did you get T ?

15. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I am getting an mri done on my ovaries in about 2 weeks.. Should i have anything to worry about if i bring ear plugs?

16. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Hi Grace,

Actually, a good set of foam ear plugs will reduce the volume of the some frequencies even more than 40dB. Make sure you know how to insert them and, by all means, wear whatever headphones they provide for you over the ear plugs or bring your own provided they aren't made of metal. Flents Soft Foam Ear Plugs are excellent as are Howard Leight. Look for ear plugs with a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 32 or 33.

You will be perfectly safe during the MRI as long as you use hearing protection. The administration of a closed MRI with hearing protection will hopefully not make your tinnitus worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Here in Germany they offer some meds calming you down.
      But you should not drive afterwards. So get there with someone driving you.

18. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thanks! All the best to you ..keep in touch!

19. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Thankyou. I have 3mm classic 29 db foam ones which are the only plugs i
      Can get to fit fully in my ear without sliding out so ill use those and bring some earmuffs to wear over them. Hopefully all is good.

20. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I've had a couple of MRIs. There was a mirror directly above me so that I coukd see the door which made it seem less enclosed. And it only took about 20 mins ( though they can take longer, perhaps if you ask before it stsrts how long it will be so you know what to expect)?. Also I was given a call button to hold in my hand in case there was a problem, so I wasn't completely cut off. The radiographer was really friendly and if you tell them you are anxious I'm sure they will help.

I hope it goes okay for you, I'm sure you'll be fine.

21. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello , do you get dizzy and light headed with your tinnitus?. I feel dizzy and wobbly a few months before I got tinnitus
      Does every one get dizzy and wobbly with tinnitus? just want to know..thanks

22. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I don't think everyone does, but I've often felt dizzy - more so recently - and actually had a couple of attacks of vertigo. My GP suggested a while ago that the dizziness was sinus related.

23. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank you . will let you know, all the best..keep in touch

• Like Like x 1
    24. rachelfaye

rachelfaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2014
      Hi everyone -
      An ENT said that because I have T in only one ear that I should get an MRI if the T hasn't gone away after 3 months.

Well - three months is up and it's still in one ear. I am torn about having the MRI. I figure the T is just a part of life - it's so common with hearing loss, which I have.

But the ENT said there is a rare benign growth they can check for (can't remember the name). If there IS a growth then they can remove it and solve the T - or at least that's the thought. And perhaps that it's more concerning because it's just in one year.

I know no one can give medical advice but wonder if other people have had the MRI or been told similar things?

25. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      An MRI is a standard test with tinnitus because in rare cases it can be caused by a neuronoma. I've had two MRIs now, one for tinnitus and one a few years later for pulsatile tinnitus. Neither of them showed anything.

Why are you hesitant about having an MRI?

26. rachelfaye

rachelfaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2014
      Mainly hesitant because of cost, given that I have the "perfect storm" of hearing loss and family history to have tinnitus. However - if there's a chance that there is an underlying cause that could be addressed it would be worth it.

27. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have tinnitus in one ear and have been told by my GP that I will have an MRI to rule out a neuroma. I have to go to ENT next month first, then they will probably book me in for an MRI.
      My GP is also concerned because I have no apparent hearing loss.
      I've read a fair bit on neuromas over the last couple of weeks. Here's some things i've learnt about neuromas, and remember this is just what I've read online. I'm no doctor, just a dopey window cleaner.
      1. They are very rare. But you should have an MRI, because if left untreated and not monitored, they can keep growing and cause more problems.
      2. If one is detected through MRI then it may not be taken out. You may have surveillance instead. This is because some Neuromas don't grow. Or only grow very very slowly and cause no harm.
      3. Just because a neuroma is taken out, it doesn't mean the tinnitus will go.
      4. After a neuroma is taken out there is usually complete deafness in the effected ear. Or at least some degree of hearing loss.
      6. Neuromas are treated with surgery, radiotherapy or both.
      7. Remember they are very rare. I'm sure neither of us have one. But just in case I think we should both have an MRI just to be sure.

I'm not trying to scare you. But if my facts are correct, then I don't think you should just be told "if you have a neuroma, we can take it out and get rid of the tinnitus" as their seems to be more to them than that.
      One thing I know for sure is that an MRI scan only takes about 20 minutes. And they are safe and painless. So if you can afford one, I think you should have it. It's easy for me to say because I live in the UK and i'll have mine with the NHS. But if there was no NHS, and I could afford an MRI, I would have it. Yeah it might be some wasted money. But it could also be the best money you've ever spent.

Anyway remember this is only learnt from what i've read online. So perhaps i've got some fact wrong. Perhaps someone will tell me I'm wrong.
      But my advise, for what it's worth. Is, I'm sure we haven't got a neuroma. But I think we should make sure.
      When I was first told I may have a neuroma I panicked. But then some people here highlighted how unlikely it was . Since then I'm a lot more relaxed. Good luck x

28. ashley
      Busy

ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/28/2014
      Hi! Funny I came across this post, since I try not to sign in too frequently anymore, but I have tinnitus in one ear and just got back from the neurologist today to get my MRI results! (Which were fine woohoo!) They are probably trying to look for an acoustic neuroma, or schwannoma (interchangable). This is a common practice (to get an MRI for unilateral tinnitus) if your insurance covers it!

• Like Like x 1
    29. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi all

I hurt my lower back recently and the prof said I will need an MRI next week if the pain does not subside. I have T & H. Prof said that he can arrange for an open MRI and with GA if need be. I have never done MRI before and really do not want to aggravate my already worsened ear condition. My questions are:

1. Is an open MRI noise level lower than the traditional tube? I googled and couldn't find any information about the noise level of an open MRI.
      2. I will be using 33 NRR ear plugs. If I were to wear the head phones and have them not play any music during that 30 mins or so, would it help to buffer the noise? In my simple mind, my impression is that the music they play will only add on to the assault to my ears. Noise on noise is increased volume?
      3. I am not keen to go for GA. Apart from knocking me out, the effect on the ears would be the same I presume?

Any advise is appreciated.

Shan

30. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      I just did an Mri two days ago , it is not bad, ask for ear plugs,it does cut down on the noise they will not give you head phones , it obstruct the mri,also have them cover your eyes, this helps, when you are in there , think of happy things, put yourselve in a happy place, they talk you through it , take a Atavan .005 this helps to realx you .you will be out of there before you know it. The worrying before is worst than the actual Mri..trust me.all the best , keep intouch ..let us know .