Much Louder Tinnitus Tonight... Input Please!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Julryan, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      Hi I'm still new (2 weeks). Suddenly tonight the volume of my tinnitus is really high/loud. I took a nap this afternoon (unusual) but I haven't slept much recently. I was only asleep for 20 minutes and woke up much louder.

Any advice?

Also I switched to a new pillow last night, could that matter? I know it sounds crazy, I feel crazy. I am scared with this new louder volume.

I guess no one can help me but do these unexplained "spikes" go down? Any suggestions for coping? Thanks.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Normally, they do.

It makes sense to never assume that what you are hearing now will be what you will be stuck with. Temporary spikes can last for over 3 months. So you can assume that a spike is permanent only if there is no improvement for 2-3 months.

Try to ride it out.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      @Bill Bauer Thanks this is all kind of surreal. Its hard not to react (emotionally) to loud increase. Plus, its harder to screen out, obviously. Especially with no "real" cause. Well, one more aspect of this to get used to. Ugh...

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you been using any sound enrichment?

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I feel the same way. My life has been surreal for over 16 months now...

6. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Julryan
      After about 3 weeks from my initial tinnitus onset, mine started spiking when I woke up during the night or if I had a nap. If I wake before around 3-4 hours after I first fall asleep, then I will probably have louder tinnitus until I go back to sleep.
      I don't nap anymore. It's a shame, because I loved having a nap every now and then!
      I think this is somehow related to my sleep cycle. If I can go back to sleep then it settles down when I wake again in the morning.
      If I can't go back to sleep, then I take a benzo. This only happens very occasionally.
      Maybe this is the case for you too, I don't think it's unusual.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Julryan ,
      Tinnitus changes in sound and strength for no reason and usually changes back so try stay relaxed when this happens and off load stress and try make sure you get enough sleep.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      What you are feeling and going through is 100% normal. The first 3-6 months can be quite a bumpy road. Your tinnitus can fluctuate and many things can happen. In regards to sleep and napping, I and many have the same issue. We take a nap or get some rest and wake up with louder and roaring tinnitus. This doesn't happen every time, but it does happen at times.

I have yet, to get an answer or reasoning as to why this happens.

You NEED to hang on tight and just let time do it's thing. Tinnitus CAN be a long road and journey, take it day by day. Focus on today and don't think about tomorrow.......

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I bet you the nap is the cause. I intentionally avoid all naps because I wake up with my T quite noticeably worse. It's a strange thing. Yet sleeping in the evening usually helps my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      T is just soooo weird. Im not even a napper but with no sleep at night... Thanks for responses everyone!! - no more naps!

• Hug Hug x 1