Musician Neil Young and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      I've been reading a biography of Neil Young, a pretty famous musician for those who do not know. Seems he has a mild case of hyperacusis. I figure it is mild because he continued to perform after getting it, which most hyperacusis sufferers would not be able to do. Here is an excerpt from an article about Young:

"This ornery, cussed aspect of Young's character has undoubtedly helped him surmount the various health problems that have assailed him through the years. As a child he was afflicted by polio, after which he was forced to learn how to walk again at the age of six; he has been troubled by epilepsy since his early 20s, has undergone several spinal surgeries, has been treated for a brain aneurysm, and still has trouble from a condition called hyperacusis, a hearing complaint that renders him overly sensitive to certain frequencies."

The Hyperacusis Network also has a post about Young and hyperacusis but I could not access it because I am banned there. Anyone else can just punch in "Neil Young and Hyperacusis" and you will be able to read it. If anyone does read it, can you reprint it on this thread for me because I would like to read it. Thanks.

Marco

2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      There's nothing in the HN thread that's new, he has H and that's about all they say. This is the OP post:

"Young first realized something was wrong in March when, after a jam session with the Pretenders at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, his vision began to blur. Going to Nashville rather than bed was something he's done often enough, so even his wife didn't put up an argument. In 1972, while suffering serious spinal problems, he made his hit album "Harvest" there; 20 years later, when battling the hearing disorder hyperacusis, he returned to record "Harvest Moon."

3. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      not sure but maybe those cabs had something to do with it :whistle:

Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young - LIve - 1991 [HD]

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Luman. Nothing much really there about Young and his H>>.

John Paul: you refer to "cabs" in your post. Do you mean the speakers? Are they actually in front of those speakers that are blasting out to the audience? In any case, it is amazing that not more musicians become deaf or with hyperacusis and tinnitus considering the sound levels they exposed to over decades.

Anyways I dig those young chicks cutting loose dancing. That is how we were at 20...no longer. Enjoy it while you can...but at moderate sound levels, or HELL awaits you possibly.

Yeah this bio I was reading about Young was not because I was particularly interested in him. I just like reading biographies, autobiographies , and memoirs of practically anyone. I liked some of his earlier stuff, circa late 60s and early 70s. I dig his hippy lingo in the book. I like talking like that. But the author despises hippies and he was too indulgent about all the decadence, sex, and drugs etc.. there was, because a lot of people died young from overdoses. So I quit the book halfway.

Marco

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi again:

All this Neil Young stuff has me tripping down memory lane to some fine meaningful music of my youth ,that was performed by a group that Neil Young was sometimes associated with: Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Here is one of their little masterpieces "Teach your Children" . Note the beauty and poignancy of the lyrics. They alone were worth 100 times more than the rough cynical book about Young.

I miss listening to music so much. Luckily not all is lost because I can still listen to music ,but only on a very good sound system which I do not have right now. Cheap systems kill my ears quickly.

Enjoy.

Marco

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Teach Your...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018