MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If this device really works they will be rich people! The whole planet is waiting for relief.

• Agree Agree x 7
    2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They probably are already rich in my eyes, never ever heard of a “poor” professor/doctor/scientist ha ha but their main goal should be the sheer pleasure of helping millions of people worldwide.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      This is the greatest thing I read all day

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Does anyone know when we will receive the answers from Neuromod?

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The Q&A will occur on December 3rd, so the wait won't be too long after that.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    6. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      Will we be able to watch it live somewhere?

7. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The Neuromod website says

“To date, more than 500 tinnitus patients have been treated with our patented bi-modal neuromodulation technology.”​

That’s a lot of people that to keep quiet. Throw these patients families in there and it’s even more. Even with an NDA in place I’m shocked nothing has leaked. It makes me wonder if the results are really that significant.

I certainly hope they are, but it worries me.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    8. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      True, I'm trying to be realistic, but damn if this helps - even a little, I will cry.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I agree to an extent but at the same time millions of people suffer from tinnitus yet most people have never heard about it (unless someone brings it up randomly).

If tinnitus is an invisible condition, I'm sure so will the cure. I know for sure if I get cured I'll likely move on with my life and never look back... Just talking about it with strangers would be a stressful exercise of patience and empathy.

Heck you can't even tweet about tinnitus without scathing criticism from the tinnitus community, who would want to talk about it?

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    10. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Did the previous version have the tongue stimuli as well?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    11. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I think you're right. When my tinnitus improved I kept it almost like a secret. I did not enter to any forum to tell anything. I thought "wow, what a blessing" and do not look back.

I hope that the same thing happened with these people.

12. bigerjim

bigerjim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and prescription drug
      Hello, ok, first of all this the first I'm hearing about this so called treatment, what is it exactly? Does it work?

How am I supposed to ask a question if I don't know anything about it, is it just me or is it that we should know more about this device, what it does, how it is supposed to work; and for how long, wow I guess I did end up asking a few questions, but, I freely admit I have my doubts and at the same time have an open mind, trust but verify yes.

I'm on a fixed income, what is the cost?

I have been managing my tinnitus with homeopathic remedies, I have been researching for 30 years on my own. I think my tinnitus is coming from my brain signals.

13. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It's potentailly do-able - I don't think you need a GP referral. All will become clear...

However if it's just a release of the original product - It didn't work - Not that I can see... They claimed 42% reduction last time but zero study and zero subsequent anecdotal evidence... The original results were meant to be appearing in some journal as well... but no show.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. spedgas
      Scared

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I didn’t have tinnitus the first time Neuromod released a device. I’m struggling to find any evidence that the first device helped anyone.

They have appeared to seek out and hire some top talent since then. They went to all this trouble and spent all this money to get this product out. I hope it proves to be something special. Part of me thinks they rushed this release to beat Susan Shore to market.

Time will tell. If they release the same dud product again I think they lose a ton of creditably in the tinnitus world and any other future applications they want to use this technology in.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes and I can't see them selling much of it if it doesnt work... the majority will wait for 12 weeks to see the outcome of wave 1. If there are yet again no good reports it's dead in the water - Although maybe they want to get it into the tinnitus clinics worldwide to sit beside Neuromonics and Levo. Pure sh1te which does nothing...

• Agree Agree x 5
    16. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I asked this before, but does anyone know what exactly is different this time around? Was it Bi-Modal before as well?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    17. spedgas
      Scared

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If results aren’t acceptable this device could have a bad reputation before it’s even approved for sale outside of Ireland or Europe.

18. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Million Dollar Question - I'm sure Ross O'Neill monitors this thread.

If he doesn't he isn't too smart.

Ross, what is the difference? You're gonna have to answer this question and soon - you're going to market in a few weeks. Wake up and answer the question! We all want to buy one of these .... help us by answering - Hiding and burying your head in the sand - alluding to evidence in peer reviewed journals isn't going to sell them this time around. If you have no evidence and it does nothing then please don't bother releasing it... In fact in many ways this is one of the most critically observed product releases in the history of man...

So just to repeat - Don't launch this product with no evidence - Don't mention anonymous peer reviewed journals as an excuse that the evidence isn't coinciding with the release of the product and try and employ better actors to endorse the product as part of your promotional videos.

Instead - Give a high level of what the results were and a huge repository of testimonials from the 500 people that have used the device.

Otherwise it's no better than that dude in Israel selling his sugar pills to reprogram your metabolism...

We want proof and we want confirmed unbiased testimonials.

Sure you have a business plan and a target market and sales projections - Good for you.

We want to know that the device works... That's our angle...

If this isn't done I personally will appear on Irish Radio to put a counter argument to buying this device. You have my word. You won't be selling anything with no evidence - Not if I can help it. Not this time around. No sir. Not without a fight.

• Agree x 6
      • Winner x 3
      • Like x 2
      • Genius x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    19. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      It seems the original MuteButton was also bimodal - used both audio and tongue stimulation.
      For example: https://www.medgadget.com/2014/12/mutebutton-multi-sensory-stimulation-system-to-treat-tinnitus.html

However, the good news: the articles I've found imply that it worked on a different principle. Version 1 played music/normal audio etc while stimulating your tongue in the hope that the tongue stimulation will make your brain realize which sounds are "normal" and tune abnormal sounds (that is, the tinnitus) out. A pretty funky theory and although they imply they did studies, I couldn't actually find them.

Version 2 might have similar hardware, but works on an entirely different principle: it is tuned to your tinnitus frequency and uses tongue stimulation in a manner similar to Dr Susan Shore's signal timing device - which is a solid theory validated by experiments on mice and humans - and most importantly, these results seem to hold even when the experiments are done by different teams (University of Michigan, University of Massachusetts, Neuromod).

So I think there's a good reason to hope that v2 will actually be effective. It's certainly not the same thing.

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm not sure - They did have Audiologists programming the thing for the tinnitus frequency the last time - you had a couple hour session while they programmed it... I distinctly remember that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The replicability of this method is encouraging indeed.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    22. ruud1boy

ruud1boy Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 2006. Severe since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      The scientific advisors they have on board certainly lend some weight to this. Assuming those advisors know that their names & pictures are on Neuromod's website.

• Like Like x 2
    23. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      @RCP1 I like the way you think.

24. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      Alleluia

25. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      Hello, sorry I'm trying to catch-up with all the news about neuromodulation.

I read many people being very optimistic, and one last post here being offensive. Looks like there is no or very few communication about the results and some people here are upset this could be another scam to make money on our back.

What is the next step so I am aligned with you all? The Q&A in 2 weeks? Where can I find the questions that will be raised?

Thanks.

edit: just found the link to the questions: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/q-a-tinnitus-hub-meets-neuromod-lenire.32369/

26. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I think the Q&A is the next big thing here. That should bring you up to speed and also settle the big questions we're wrestling with in this thread.

In my opinion the biggest open question right now is the efficacy of the thing. Is MuteButton 2 of 2018 different than MuteButton 1 of 2014 (which was a dud)? They claim they did a study with 500+ people - what were the results? Everything else is secondary.

Hopefully the Q&A will be convincing and then a lot of people, including me, will be euphoric with relief. (Followed by wild speculation whether the machine will work for their personal variant of tinnitus. Will it work if it was caused by drugs? What if you have multiple tones? Etc. But the key thing is whether it works at all, because if it does, it's a world-first.)

If it will be a vapid marketing pitch then it's back to the usual bleak, disappointed and hopeless state that we tinnitus sufferers have so grown to love. (Sarcasm, of course.)

• Agree Agree x 6
    27. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      I agree. I'm hopeful that this device will work as they hired some key people and seem to care about the trials/results from the 500 participants.

...but on the other hand they already sold a shitty product before so I'm skeptical.

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Please be the real deal <3

• Agree Agree x 3
    30. spedgas
      Scared

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree. I’m sure the fact that we know about the failure of their first product isn’t lost on Neuromod. They know they are under the microscope. Hopefully it pushed them to use solid science and solid study results.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2