MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Release date for Belgium will be mid September, that's correct.

2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Not a great deal if I’m honest. There’s Otonomy’s OTO-313 that is in its early stages (will be years away at best) and that’s even if it helps chronic cases.
      The potassium channel drug XEN-1101 that’s not even targeted for tinnitus but for epilepsy MIGHT help tinnitus in its early stages.

Any other KV3 channel drugs are still in preclinical trials.

And of course hair cell regeneration or synapse repair will be years away.

This literally is all we have unless a serendipitous discovery comes along.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GamesB2
      No Mood

GamesB2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      uknown
      June feels so far away right now.

Hopefully we'll get more definitive information ASAP.

Please let this work!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Where is this confirmed?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    5. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I got an email back from Sven Vanneste, a Belgian professor who is a scientific advisor for Neuromod and he said that's the expected release date for Belgium.

Nothing official though.

You can check my earlier posts.

• Informative Informative x 3
    6. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      The device may be further refined or similar devices such as University of Michigan or University of Minnesota may become available as well, if that counts.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Good point @Manny. I forgot about those devices, I guess I was just tarring them off on the same brush as they all fall under bimodal neuromodulation.

And if this turns out to be an accepted treatment then I would much prefer this than getting needles in ear, taking tablets that alters brain chemistry or regenerating cells just to stop the ringing.

This condition needs a treatment and attention. Mine has gotten slightly worse over the years and I really don’t know if I can handle it getting any worse again in the future / hopefully a proper treatment will come by then.

Maybe one of us can ring them tomorrow and update the forum and just give us an indication if we are looking at a summer release or earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. hopeful4future

hopeful4future Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Shot
      Apologize if this is a stupid question but isn’t most tinnitus somatic?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I think those others all sound like more fun, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. ruud1boy

ruud1boy Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 2006. Severe since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      Not disputing what you've been told, but we need to be a bit careful when we're stating things as FACT.

This guy is involved w/ Neuromod and has given an indication of when he thinks it will be available, but I'll have a tenner with you that it isn't released to the Belgian market in September.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Weirdly, I'm not that unhappy because of the postponed release.

I have been actively optimistic ever since January 2018, when Dr. Shore released her study which has shown that neuromodulation works for tinnitus.

However if that thing actually gets here and doesn't work... That would shake me deeply.

I'd rather prolong the hopeful anticipation than face shattered hopes...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Trust me, if they would have ringing tomorrow, the device would be out yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Ah that sucks! First it was January, then Q1, and now summer, I don't think it's healthy to keep checking this forum day by day. I am going to stop.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      If they have postponed the release to make the device more effective I wholeheartedly agree and think it’s a good idea as hope even if it’s false hope is better than failure and suicide as a by product of said failure.

If they are just faffing about with their thumbs up their asses thinking about marketing shite, fully aware that some of us are basically on death row and praying every second for relief, then they are just c****. Nuff said.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. Aklara319

Aklara319 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Law student here. You can absolutely sell your IP without a trademark. Trademarks apply to the mark’s distinctiveness (ie. for branding) and not to a competitor’s ability to copy the product. As long as they have a patent, their IP is protected.

If they don’t have a trademark, they can still use the “Lenire” name and logo, but that wouldn’t be protected.

On the one hand, it’s unlikely that another medical device would be released using that name and logo, but Neuromod might prefer to get its ducks in a row before it releases a novel product.

Here is their patent: https://register.epo.org/application?number=EP16798699

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Good stuff and thanks for bringing clarity. I have been researching this a lot today and learned way more than I wanted about trademark law. Haha.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      To declare about two months prior that your release date is in January, then nothing happening, then not communicating a future release date to the public, suggests that things are very disorganised in the Neuromod offices.

Yet there's plenty of time to hang around conferences and market yourself within the industry. Not a good look really but I guess you can do as you please when you're the only game in town.

Things would be different I suspect, if Susan Shore's and the University of Minnesota's devices were about to hit the market also. Competition does amazing things with your attitude towards the public.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    19. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Easier said than done. It’s addictive surrounding yourself with reflective misery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I have learned the hard way to limit my time on the internet support to one hour a day.
      After about 7:00 pm I turn the computer and my cell phone off.

I needed to find a way to relax without all the buzzing distraction of the computer or phone.

Yes. In the first year I spent all my time on a support board making friends becoming close and helping each other. It was a way for me to connect with people because the outside world was not an option for me. I guess it helped me survive to a point but it also created a different life experience that to this day...is one that has affected my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not going to work, for a lot of people. Whether you go by the percentages from the smaller Shore trial or the somewhat more optimistic numbers from Neuromod, neither of these devices is claiming to treat anything close to 100% of people. Some people respond. Others don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Neuromod DOES use their mailing list so if you're signed up for it, it's unlikely a major event will go by without them sending out an update.

The main problem I have coming here is there are a lot of people here who are closer to the edge of suicide than I am and it doesn't really help me to hear that sort of desperation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I'm sure the product slipping back is not something done consciously - it's probably due to stretched resources and red tape. It doesn't make it any less terrible though :(

Here's hoping nobody wants to copy the awful 'Lenire' name and they launch in March.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      My faith in these Irish clowns dwindles by the day. I have a sneaking suspicion that Shore's device when it finally arrives is going to be much more of the real deal and may deliver most tinnitus a knock out punch. Unfortunately it’s going to be another 2 or probably 3 years. Lovely for all those people who get this in the future. Not so helpful for us poor bastards.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I wonder if the name change to Lenire is because MuteButton is too much of an over promise. Or else there's already trademarked range of buttons made by mute artisans? ;)

Lenire means 'soothe' in Italian according to Google - seems appropriate.

26. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Agreed. It sounds like a flaky admission of being fairly useless. Horribly like Levo.

As far as I’m concerned this thing is dead in the water. These guys are total jokers. Until someone calls their device ‘absolute silence’ and brags to all the world's media that they have cured every single type of tinnitus and starts handing it out to the world's worst sufferers to try and review, we’re all still getting fucked by conmen. Neuromod will knock on your door in a couple of years and offer to tarmac your drive.

Happy screeching folks!

• Like Like x 1
    27. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If “MuteButton” doesn’t ‘Mute,’ can they be ‘done’ under the Trades Descriptions Act??

28. SignalExec
      Batty

SignalExec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/15/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma?
      It almost seems like they assume that however they treat us, we will be buying their toy anyway. ;)

Anyway, I also keep losing faith. Somewhere somebody wrote that "as soon as this hits the market, there will be Chinese rip-offs coming out." Well, the more I think about this, the more I belief Neuromod *are* the Chinese rip-off. They seem only to be interested in making money off others' ideas.

In 2011, they marketed a device based on ACRN, which was an idea others developed and tested (and which eventually did not seem the magic bullet hoped for). Now they are banking on neuromodulation. This is an idea that is floating around in various areas of neuropathology. In particular, it is researched by Susan Shore. But Neuromod cannot be credited with the idea or research into its application. True, they ran a trial. But I think they only did that to be able to slide this thing into healthcare systems eventually.

In short: Neuromod is not into medical research, they are in the business of marketing existing ideas - and hope for the best, a bit like Chinese rip-offs.

If the device works, all is forgiven. But until then, I will frown upon them until my eyebrows cramp up.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      If they were a rip-off, or a scam, or did not have faith in their device, would they have done a trial with 500 test subjects? They could’ve stopped at 300 and rush to market. Just, do a bit more than the competitor. But this is a substantive trial.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    30. SignalExec
      Batty

SignalExec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/15/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma?
      You bring up a good point, I think. However, I would argue that they do not need to convince competitors but health care systems and insurance companies. This might require larger trials.

Also, I don't necessarily think they don't have (good) faith in the device. Chinese rip-offs often work (sometimes even better)! I am just pointing out that I think, as a company, Neuromod has some traits I don't like.

• Agree Agree x 1