My Ear Ringing Is Never a Single Tone...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tara Lyons, May 13, 2020.

1. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      I would recommend the following study: Split a group of recently acquired noise induced hyperacusis patients in two groups: One group exposes themselves to everyday sounds (restaurants, cinemas, malls, ...) without hearing protection and the other ones protect from all sounds which are uncomfortable to them. And monitor them for 12 months.

I don't know why such a study is not conducted.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I’ve been tying to do some experiments to help get rid of this madness, or to see what works. I have tinnitus and hyperacusis, had pain in my ears from voices back in May, had to leave the table. Everything seemed overly loud, not as much anymore. No more pain from voices. But this is what I’ve done since...

I started using ear plugs at work about six weeks ago. Prior to that I was using them definitely for driving, because cars are loud. The ringing seemed to subside with ear plugs. It was really really intense at first, I could barely keep them in. Then I noticed as the weeks were going on it seemed less and less. It’s very low at this point.

So I did an experiment where I took the ear plugs out for a week at work and exposed myself to regular noise. Voices, etc. I thought maybe I was protecting too much and my job isn’t really noisy. I would test my ears in the ear plugs to see if the ringing was still low... and it was. I am curious to see if this is actually fading or if I just have reactive tinnitus/hyperacusis.

So I did this for the week and today is now Friday and I would randomly put the ear plugs in at work today and the ringing is quite low regardless of being exposed to noise. But I get these really odd sensations in my ears after being exposed to noise. I went to a friends pool the other night and didn’t use earplugs, and had the weirdest “loudness” when I got into my car. Obviously reacting to the noise. I don’t know, this is all so crazy....

Thoughts?

I really *can not* handle the noise in the ears
      :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer
      @aot @Lucifer @Greg Sacramento

Please read above.

4. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Hey Tara, how did these experiments turn out in the long run? How are you today compared to almost a year ago?

My reactive tinnitus faded after almost 4 months but came back after additional hearing loss so I'm hoping it fades again. I've had great luck using a wireless earbud most days at low volume.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I no longer overprotect, I used to protect when showering and driving - I no longer do so. When you say you use earbuds, are you listening to music? If so, please don’t! I don’t think it’s a good idea, your ears need to heal. I haven’t touched headphones in a year, and never will again.

I can be in quiet rooms without getting too crazy. I no longer sleep with sound on. I have no more pain from noises and my hyperacusis seems to be pretty much gone for the most part. I hear once hyperacusis goes, the tinnitus goes shortly after... fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Interesting progression, wishing you the best of luck moving forward.

Yes it's a wireless earbud with music, some on here insist its bad and some not, I'm in the camp that don't believe it's detrimental if the volume is reasonable. I think of it this way, if I didn't use one I'd hear louder sounds in public and at home anyway. It's been one of the only things that have helped maintain my sanity and have had really good positive progress so far.

Have a good day!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well that’s good, hopefully we’re both out of this nightmare soon. Take care, I’m here if you need anything!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Thank you very much. Hopefully your tinnitus fades like your hyperacusis did or at least gets to a comfortable level.

Is your tinnitus still a pure tone or has it turned into a hiss?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All different tones, again I don’t believe the forum wisdom of ringing - buzzing - hissing - silence. In my opinion it just fades into nothing... but that’s just me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Aquaticon

Aquaticon Guest

Hmm. I'm in a very similar situation with my recent onset of noise induced tinnitus. My tinnitus varies from crickets, a cicada-like hissing, and hearing test tonal beeps. Given that these are all sounds I was exposed to when my ears were vulnerable (via white noise masking and a desperate ENT visit), it's not illogical to conclude some nerve or cochlear insult is to blame.

I'm only about a month in from onset, and I was wondering if there's anything I can do other than protect myself from further offensive noise? I've ordered a few supplements, but I'm starting to wonder if it's in vain.

I'm definitely more sensitive to noise than I was prior which leads me to believe I have a very slight hyperacusis. I also distinctly hear crickets overlaid to any loud noise exposure, like the fan I have running next to me, for instance. Without headphones or earplugs, the phantom crickets become highly apparent when they're otherwise fairly unnoticeable.

Am I just supposed to wait several months for these nerves/hairs to calm down/finally die off?

11. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      It sounds like you have made wonderful progression. My tinnitus started one month before yours and is only in my right ear. It is pretty much a continuous high pitch static sound. Initially I showed no hearing loss but had n event this past December with smoke alarms where I may have done some hearing damage. I have to have continuous sound playing in the background and do sleep with background sound on. So you not having to do that is awesome.

If you do not mind me asking, are you taking anything for your tinnitus? I was put on Klonopin and was tapering and went back up on and now am tapering again.

That is great about your hyperacusis and I hope very soon you will be tinnitus free!

KWC

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A doctor gave me Klonopin but I only took it once. I was on quite the concoction when this happened due to anxiety from it all, (Ativan, Valium, sleeping meds) and I don’t want to keep putting this stuff in my body. So I don’t take anything anymore, plus a lot of that stuff is actually ototoxic - ironic. I’m afraid to take anything anymore to be honest. I’m afraid to even take an Advil when I have a headache. But yes, I hope I’m out of this hell soon. Hope you are too.

Hoping by summer, I’ve had enough!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Agreed. I'm trying to adjust while going withdrawals. Do you mask or use ambient sound?

Do you think you are habituating or is it seeming to get better?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's hard to tell if it's getting better when it doesn't stop. Lately it's been switching from ear to ear. I don't know. There's not much I can do anyway so I'm trying not to get so upset over it, it's out of my control.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Any improvement? I am trying sound therapy. I am trialing a hearing aid/masker to see if that might help.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yesterday my left ear was crazy, today my right. Trying hard not to dwell on it too much... but it’s hard when you loathe the hell you’re currently living in. I just want my life back. Why did this happen? Do you ever feel this way?

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Yes I do. Along the way I also got chemically addicted to Klonopin. So I am trying to dig out day by day and am in survival mode and keep trying to figure out how to improve. The fact you sleep without sound is way better than me so credit to you. I wish my tinnitus was resolved but this is going to be a long haul.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      I completely understand what you mean about trying not to dwell on it, but you can't stop. I am three months in and I dwell less than month one which was constantly. It's still a nightmare though. I would do anything to make it stop.

I know dwelling does nothing, and thus far really nothing I take or do makes a difference either. I too don't just want to take a bunch of supplements unless I found one that made a difference.

I just hope I really can get to a place where I don't care to think about it. I have never wanted to truly ignore something so much. Easier said than done of course. It's hard to feel like yourself, but the noise stops you from being content.

Oh yeah, as for earplugs. I find them tough because they increase the tinnitus perception if I use them. My tinnitus fluctuates but Is always there. I can't seem to find a pattern as to why it's lower sometimes than others. If it ever went silent for a while though I would notice for sure.

19. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Every minute of every day.

I saw an ENT this morning. No help, but he has referred me to the emergency room for a mental health assessment so here I am... in the assessment room waiting for someone to come. This is my life now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Jack London

Jack London Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nerve Damage
      All the time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you ok?

22. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Thank you. I waited 7 hours then walked out. When I arrived I was told they were extremely busy, and full. Mental health care in this country is a joke. They tried to give me a crisis line phone number when I told them I was going. I said no thanks. I've called them so many times I know the script.

I am really not ok. Fight or flight 24 hours a day for 3 months now. I literally shake because of this noise in my brain.

23. Cassie_Kyra

Cassie_Kyra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      i,too, have a fluctuating range going on in my left ear - and now have a continuation of sound in both. I think I drive myself nuts comparing the two ears and their sounds. Any update on you?

24. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      How are you doing?

25. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @KWC

How goes the battle? I’m still struggling a lot with noise. I think I’ll go to Piper Clinic in Florida. Another doctor in Illinois is willing to look at my jaw after reading my MRI report. It’s always mainly left sided noise probably from TMD.

26. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have some Trobalt if you like?

27. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      No thanks. I thought it would be expired?

• Funny Funny x 1
    28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      A little stale, but should be less potent so less side effects.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Eh ya know... not wonderful. I just want to get out of this hell. Going on 14 months of this. I suppose it’s gotten better or maybe I’m just getting used to it. I don’t know. So tired of it. I wonder if it’s possible to ever get back to 100% normal. What do you think? How are you?

30. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      I think generally I have come to terms that this is what I have and am focused on trying to figure out how to manage and cope with it and hopefully one day habituate to it.

I have been working with an audiologist to test various hearing aid/maskers (noise generators) to use to help me start the TRT approach.

Coupled with that I am tapering Lunesta and Klonopin but trying to have a plan, and now almost off Lunesta. I have to try to be proactive no matter how hard it is because if I do not then I spend more time focusing on the things I cannot control (why, how, etc.). I have to remind myself that many others have this and do live successful, happy, productive lives... work in progress.

• Like Like x 1