My Story Briefly (Convinced My Tinnitus Would Go Away If I Could Stop Grinding My Teeth)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RichieGenero, Sep 6, 2018.

1. RichieGenero

RichieGenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / sweating / poking around in ear
      In 2015 I got an ear infection. First one since I was a child. My hearing was massively reduced in one ear and this stressed me out terribly.

Stupidly I started poking around my ears with Q Tips, tissues, and fingers. Of course this made things worse and then one night I was woken by a horrible continuous tone in my left ear. I freaked!

I was stressed beyond belief. The noise was 24/7 and so loud I could hear it over raging motorway traffic in my car with the windows open. The situation was as bad as it could be.

I wanted to die. I made plans for suicide. I saw ENT and many GP’s who simply were not interested. No help at all. I lost three stones in weight because I could not eat. I could not read, watch tv or sleep.
      When I did doze off I was grinding my teeth so badly I cracked them and I noticed that the noise was always far worse after that.

That is how it has gone on until this year when... I now force myself to relax my face as much as possible all the time and stay calm.

I am now having stretches of days or a week where my tinnitus has gone! Silence again! I am convinced that if I could stop grinding my teeth I would be free of tinnitus.

My dentist gave me a mouth guard but it is hopeless. I am certain that one day soon I will be cured.
      So, don’t lose hope friends. Things can and do change. Tinnitus can go away and I hope it does for you.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It seems that you are definitely improving. If you have weeks without tinnitus, that is as good as it can get. Being positive and keeping calm will help the process of habituation. Wish you well. Take care. God bless.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      out of curiosity does the hearing loss not bother you as much as tinnitus?

and from what research is suggesting both hearing loss and jaw problems play a role in tinnitus.

4. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Curing bruxism is easy.
      I can pm you my method if you wish.
      Dave x
      Jazzer

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @Jazzer
      I would love to hear how you did that and I am sure others would too. Maybe a post on it when you have time.
      I think I may do it as my teeth are really sore some mornings.
      I thought my wife was punching me in the face because I snore...allegedly o_O

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichieGenero

RichieGenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Contrast Hi, I think they T bothers me more than the reduction in hearing but i must stress that my hearing does come back usually after maybe a week or two.My ears seem to get clogged the more i grind my teeth at night.I take meds that cause dry mouth too and that also seems to make things far worse.I am certain that if i could stop the bruxism my T would go away for good and my hearing would be sharp again.
      I really was suicidal in the beginning.I think now I am almost used to the noise of the T anyway but obviously i want rid of it.When it goes away i cannot describe how wonderful the peace is! I wish you the best.If you ever want a chat just PM me.
      @Jazzer thanks for the info ...will do just as you suggest.Will report back.

7. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks for the response Richie.
      For a long time I believed I had a tumour in my temples - the pain was ongoing.
      For me, once I absorbed the message, I had it beaten.
      I just had to adopt a new habit.
      Best wishes,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichieGenero

RichieGenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @billie48 Hi ! Thanks for the warm welcome Indeed ,I am delighted at how things are going for me .The periods of silence are just wonderful.I hope that anybody suffering this horrific condition can find some peace.
      It gaules me how uncaring many ENT Doctors are ,as was mine.His advice to me was “just try really hard not to listen to it” spoken as if i were a two year old.
      All the very best my friend and good luck .

• Like Like x 1
    9. Vicky17

Vicky17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m interested in this too Dave. I don’t grind my teeth but I do clench them in the daytime due to stress. Thanks :) x