My Tinnitus Has Changed ...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dr. Nagler, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi All -

As many of you know I have had tinnitus for more than twenty years now. To spare you the details, I'll simply attach my story to the bottom of this post.

Anyway, I did TRT in 1994-1995 and since completing TRT I have been doing really well. My tinnitus has remained as loud as ever - like a cross between a thunderous jet turbine and a screaming teakettkle - but I no longer react to it. And thus - while it can occasionally and unpredictably distract me - it causes me little, if any, distress.

I have often referred to the fact that the only thing that makes my tinnitus significantly louder is the spices in Thai food. But since I love Thai food, I eat it every once in a while and for the next day or so "pay the price" in terms of an increase in loudness. Again, since I do not react to it, the fact that it is louder for the next day does not really affect me.

Well, that's all changed. For the past ten days my tinnitus has made a quantum leap in loudness. It is louder - markedly louder - than it has ever been in my life. I cannot identify any reason for the change, but for me this is a whole new world of noise. I have kept thinking that it will settle back down to its normal turbine/teakettle level, but that has not happened.

We TRT clinicians tell our patients that if they get an exacerbation of their tinnitus at some point after finishing TRT - as can happen in maybe 10% of cases - that they should take their devices out of their dresser (or wherever they have stored them) and start using them again exactly as originally instructed. We say that TRT is like "relearning how to ride a bike" - far easier and quicker the second time around - and within a couple of weeks they should be fine again.

Well, I am about to find out if that's true or not first hand. An hour or so ago I inserted a pair of GHI Tranquil Simplicity I OTE devices (my old Viennatones are sort of relics from the stone age). I haven't used sound therapy since finishing TRT in 1995, but I'm sure using it now. We'll see how it goes.

I'll let you know.

stephen nagler

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      As a long time T'er and a few relapses. As you are a 'giver' it is time for us to give back to you. I wish you well. G-d speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      @Dr. Nagler, have you ever considered giving retigabine a shot?

4. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      Not sure if you plan on giving us updates or if you're gonna do the no-forum thing that TRT recommends but good luck, either way. My thoughts are with you.

5. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @Dr. Nagler

Best of luck. We can have a race to habituation. Take care.

R

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Thank you ... and to all who offer good wishes.

Yes.

I've never believed in the "no-forum thing." I just tell my patients to keep it all in perspective. That's what I plan to do.

stephen nagler

7. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Good luck, doc.

T is in some studies described as a pathological pattern in the auditory cortex. Maybe such patterns needs no particular reason to develop further.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      Hi Dr. Nagler, I am sorry for you the T has become louder all of a sudden....
      It also make me sad, because I always thought: "Well, Dr. Nagler has T for more than 20 years and it's loud, but he has habituated and his T never did change or became louder". ... But now you wrote this message and your story does effect me. I am really sorry for you, you are always supporting us. And now I read your story in the 'support' department. Can you calm yourself down? Do you think 'it's just a spike for a while, it will turn lower' ? What are you 'saying' to yourself now? Wish you the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      Really sorry to hear that doc. You of all people should be the last to have to experience a major spike like this. Your work on T and with the people on this forum (including myself) is so invaluable, I only hope that this is just a temporary spike for you.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I'm sorry to hear that your tinnitus has increased and I wish you well on your road to recovery.

11. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      He'll habituate again and be fine. The man is a legend

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well if that's the case, then I'm not a particularly happy legend. I'll check back in a day or two and let y'all know how it's going with the broadband sound generators.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1
    13. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Take good care Dr. Nagler. I hope your TRT equipment will work wonder on you and I hope your spikes will settle down.

14. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May good lord speed you away from the noise and thank you for being the person who you are to help so many.

15. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Dr. Nagler

Wow, so sorry to hear that, a real shock. God be with you!

• Like Like x 1
    16. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      My prayers are being sent to you this very moment. You who have given so much energy and time, to all of us here, will be made whole again soon! The good Lord will intercede and bring you back from Hell, once again! Keep the faith.

God Bless!

17. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I am so sorry to hear of your distress @Dr. Nagler . You have helped me tremendously and I will keep the best hopes and prayers for you. It's our turn to support you--and we will.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      My heart goes out to you and your family. I will pray for you...

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Dr Nagler, is it time for another audiogram?

20. LizaLiza

LizaLiza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Have you tried far infra red hot sauna therapy? I will be trying it myself this week. I have read online that it helps with the ringing. Google it for some information. I know you will be fine. Sending you positive energy and hugzzz.

21. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      For acute worsening there are 3 treatment protocols
      1) pulse corticosteroids + vitamins[b1,b3,b6,b12,C,D,E] + antivirals(valacyclovir) + vasodilators + NAC + magnesium + aminoacids + HBO + full sleep
      OR
      2) pulse corticosteroids + full sleep
      OR
      3) full sleep

With 1) you have more changes to recover than 2) with 2) you have more changes to recover than 3)

(bold are very important)

TRT / RTG and other methods are total fail acute worsening is acute damage in hearing and TRT / RTG does not treat the hearing damage.
      Time frame window from acute worsening and pulse corticosteroids treatment is very narrow max 24hours.

• Creative Creative x 1
    22. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Dr. Nagler
      All the best from my side. Hopefully the noise goes back down to baseline and you will report another success story here.

23. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      So sorry to know that doc. I am sure you will be back on track soon with a even better success story than before which will inspire us all even more now. You have been a big support to us in our thick and thin times. Praying for you

24. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Lets hope this is just a temp. Spike. We are with you in this together. If you ever need anything more than moral support, i will always be there for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Dr Nagler, my thoughts are with you and I wish you every success in getting back to your usual level of habituation. You've been so kind helping many people on this site. If the power of prayer works, you're sure going to know about it! Beth.

26. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      I haven't been on the forum myself in a while, save to occasionally check the research news. Very sorry to hear your Tinnitus has taken a turn for the worse Dr. Nagler. Hopefully it's a temporary blip so hang in there. Everyone is behind you here. Take care!

27. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I am so sorry to hear that Dr. Nagler. Really hope that you feel better soon. We are all support you in the same sprit you always helped us.

• Winner Winner x 1
    28. Teresa1958
      Wishful

Teresa1958 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/uncertain
      Dr Nagler, wishing you well. I believe that in no time you will be back to feeling better. Thank you for being here and helping so many people with there questions. It's very stressful when these spikes of T come for unknown reason. I have been struggling too and I will hold you in my prayers. Take care.

29. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Feel for you, @Dr. Nagler. Hope it's temporary. Wish you well

30. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014