My Tinnitus Has Changed ...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dr. Nagler, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      i wish you all the best Dr. Nagler. hoping you find it goes back down in volume soon.God Bless.

2. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Dr doctor i wish you that this is just spike and that it goes away... sometimes we take some medicine to cope with it first days before we start accepting truth it will stay.. I agree that we maybe dont have to suffer except if it is severe. I wish that God bless you and realeve your pain and tak your tinnitus away. Did you try with sound therapy, sometimes it helps...

May God bless you and save you

3. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      There is a great opportunity here. That being when Doctor Nagler habituates again as a result of the TRT strategy this treatment will be copper-fastened in terms of its potential and many more individuals will tread down this path and find meaningful relief..

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. @Nagler

I wish you well on this journey back. It hurts in a way to read that you are having a hard time, i use to think of your wise words when i feel down.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @RCP1, I sincerely appreciate the kind words and the positive thoughts. And I very much look forward to, as you say, habituating again as the result of TRT. From my standpoint, however, that one finds relief is far more important than how one finds relief. It is no secret that I am an unapologetic huge fan of TRT, but I have never felt that it is the only way to fly.

Best to you and to all.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1
    6. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @Dr. Nagler

You are welcome. In November of last year my Tinnitus was a 10 and I didn't want to survive. Your advice has literally allowed me to pick myself up and continue on. I am back being a proper dad and husband and am going back to work in a week. I am enjoying life again and am hopeful for the future. This is down to your referral and TRT directly. I owe you a lot.

R

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      All the best Dr Nagler. I hope you can habituate and show us the way again through your own efforts. Thanks for openly sharing it on the board.

8. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I want to give you all one simple a very simple HOPE as there must be truth in what dr Negler say.

If you check this forum you will notice that here are people who got tinnitus in last 2 years in 85%, that means that those other habituated or got better and left TT.

Simple evidence that dr Negler seems to be right. Only when out t worsens we come back here, but people i spoke 1,5y all left mostly tt and chats, they have t but they got used to it and they carry on with life as they can.

15% of use stay, but i beleave even with severe t we somehow find way to live, and survive even that it is not life, but we get used to it.

My tinnitus got worse much last 2 weeks and I hope some of you can say a prayer when you pray please.

• Hug Hug x 4
    9. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Are you saying Dr. Nagler that you are going to try something else to get over this unexpected mountain of Tinnitus apart from or as well as using TRT?
      Also, please can you say whether you can self administer TRT or whether you need to employ the services of others?
      Finally would you try drugs now to get over this either anti depressants or anti epileptic drugs.

My thoughts are with you to be well with yourself and your family..........

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      When I wrote ...

"From my standpoint, however, that one finds relief is far more important than how one finds relief,"

... it was a general comment about my philosophy. In my own situation I succeeded in TRT to my great satisfaction twenty years ago and had been doing well since that time. I then for some reason developed a monumental change in my tinnitus and had a setback. When that happens in TRT, you resume using broadband sound generators for a few weeks exactly as originally instructed with the expectation that you will re-habituate in short order - like re-learning to ride a bike.

TRT cannot be self-administered. You can probably jerry rig some sort of treatment protocol for yourself using some of the principles of TRT, but it would not be TRT - because you simply cannot do the TRT counseling to yourself. And the TRT counseling is just as important as the sound therapy.

If I were depressed, I would use antidepressants. I have had twenty years of smooth sailing after completing TRT, but have now hit this bump in the road. I am disappointed, I am frustrated, and (of course) I am sad. But I am not clinically depressed.

I do not have a seizure disorder.

Thank you.

stephen nagler

11. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Dr. Nagler Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. It is greatly appreciated especially as you have done so at a difficult time for yourself and yet you still find time to donate to this forum. Excellent and thoughtful of you ...........wishing you well..........

12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Christian78, I will include you in my daily prayers....

13. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doctor did you check hearing, is there some sudden change? Do you often do hearing test?

14. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Dr. Nagler
      How are you - I hope a bit better now.
      I was wondering whether you will still be able to answer members questions?
      The reason I ask this is that you may wish to continue to answer members and keep busy in spite of your setback and members may not post questions as they dont wish to trouble you whilst you are going through this difficult time. If you do wish to continue answering members at the moment perhaps a quick post to say this may be beneficial to all......however of course in this case it will be highly understandable if you were to not be as punctual with your replies as you normally are.
      Alternatively you may not wish to answer members right now - in which case if you were to put a post out stating this then all not to leave you alone in that respect.
      Please let us know and with many thanks to you
      best wishes to you and yours

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am sorry if i was negative to many people

I got tinnitus that was mild in sep 2013. It got severely worse may 2014. I used trobalt and my ti went from 9-10 to 3-4. I felt wonderful. for 3 months. Then it stooped because trobalt got like i built tollerance.

Now it worsened. I had kidney stone i must used diclofenac, few pills of tramadol for pain, and a lot of paracetamol i had a lot of stress, i used few days even 4-6 pills of paracetamol. I noticed my hearing on left ear go down. :( I cried a lot becouse i had problem with person i love, i had so much stress.

I came to my parents from Sweden. Here in Croatia i am with them. In sweden i could not get neurologist here i got in 4 days. Sweden one has to wait 2 months.

And becouse of pains i got betamethasone corticosteroif injection. My tinnitus worsened and until now did not got better. It is getting worse and i started to use benzodiazepams.

I am only child and that is my biggest sadness. I decided to kill myself. I am virgo in horoscope. They use logic. I told my mother and father i will kill myself. I dont know just how to do it. I have poison in sweden, double dosage but one would suffice. I will maybe go somewhere in africa or south america and do it. I still did not decide how to do it, but i will do it. My tinnitus is constantly getting worse, every few months.

My logic say i should do it becouse i dont see any way out. I habituated to my fist t, then on second helped me trobalt but this monster it hard, and what ever medicine i use i get worse after few months. I want to live. But my life is hell. I wish to sell my kidney if I can to get to dr Jeanmonod to try to fix my tinnitus but i dont have money, and no one want to buy it.

I was negative and now you know why some my coments were negative. I made my decision and I honesty stand behind it. When i come back to Sweden i will write testament.

Large dosage of tramadol and bezodiazepams will help me survive maybe few months maybe much less... but this is the only option. I don't know what else to do.

I hope I dont get banned or something becouse this is my testemony. and now you know why i got pesimistic :(

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I hope you will rethink this and get your stress level down. Talk to people or get in somekind of therapy to get the suicidal thoughts out of your head.
      Living with this is hard but Trobalt worked for you and who knows what else they come up with that might help you in the future!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Had a decent day yesterday. Pretty rough the day before. Today, who knows?

I hope to answer a question or two in the Doctors' Corner by mid-week. Right now I'm mostly focusing my efforts on things that have nothing to do with tinnitus.

stephen nagler

18. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Which tinnitus clinician are you currently seeing now that you are back on the TRT protocol?

-Mike

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Christian, I feel your pain. No matter how hard, try your best to be positive. T though bad at the start will generally get easier because the body will find its way to harden to this sensation and there will be progressive habituation, however slow over time. There are many things in life which are beautiful although the current state may be tough. Don't let the current state of the traumatic mind decide for your future. In a few years you may not feel the same, especially about T. I know because I have been there.

A few years back when my sufferings from ultra high pitch dog whistle T plus severe hyperacusis were overwhelming me, I had the same big 'S' word dangling in front of my tired and stressed out mind, as it too saw no way out of the mess I was in. You see, besides T & H, I also suffered from anxiety & panic disorders for decades prior to T & H. So these two new tyrants of my life literally opened the flood gate of hell of relentless anxiety and panic attacks on auto mode, attacking me from the moment I woke up till the night, daily and hourly. I was scared to death about the future under such intense suffering. Gosh, for how long? No amount of will power or things I learned form the internet could stop these attacks. Panic attacks can be so scary and tough that people are known to be house bound or afraid to fly, just to say away from the symptoms. When my attacks came unchecked constantly, I had to depend on meds to survive. My life was in total darkness. Depression sank deep in my soul. I told my family most likely I would die from drug OD if not suicide. I thought I would never recover from this hell of a living.

But never say never. Today, 6 years from the T & H attack, I am living an absolutely enjoyable life and I can see all the beauty around me. T hasn't changed to the lower. In fact it seems louder now. I could hear that ultra high pitch scream even above the jet noise in my last 2 flights, and even above the roaring, raging rapids of the salmon river where I fish. T hasn't changed for the better. I have changed, from negativity to positivity, from feeling helpless to being empowered by all the new life skills I have learned since T & H. I have decided, at least for myself, that anything which has to kill me by its suffering better can keep me in that suffering state for 5 years continually. In the mean time I will try to live my life abundantly & positively to compensate or bury the suffering. So far, T fails miserably to keep up its 'hell' in my case, as I continue to explore the 'heaven' of living life positively by finding joy amid the pain. T gets minimized when we look beyond that loud scream to find beauties in our lives.

Life is too precious to end it prematurely. I told myself there is only 1 life to live I better live it abundantly & positively. T still scream loudest most every morning when I wake up, something which used to cause me to cave into a mental blackhole a few years back. No longer. It has lost its tyranny over me and my life. My body is hardened to this ringing & won't give a dime. I focus on the positives of my life. At least I have an able body to be able to see things of beauty, walk & run where I want to go, travel where I want to visit, can still taste good foods of the earth, have parents, family and friends who love and care about me, have freedom in a safe country with dreams to pursue, and have opportunities to serve & care for others with my able body and willing mind. Coming here to help others in dire need for support is one of such opportunity. Serving in food bank to help poor & starving families is another. I have been giving away my extra catch of salmon to needy families in my social circle who otherwise can't afford it. I am thinking also to bring my guitar to sing some tunes for the lonely seniors in care homes around my city. There are so many things we can do to make it a better world for others. These things also empower us to look beyond our own sufferings when our hearts and mind extend beyond self. It is when we lose ourselves for others that we find ourselves again.

T and our bodily ailments will try to knock us down to our knees. It creates the sense of hopelessness and helplessness. But suicide doesn't solve anything. Youtube is full of videos of people who came back from suicide with near death experience telling others they are lucky to live again & their perspectives of life change for the better. It will also bring life long pain to love ones. So, don't buy into the lies of this bully. T is not an end game. Give yourself some time, both body and spirit. The future may not be all bleak. I hope you will read up all the success stories to give yourself some hope for the future. I wrote my own version too, 'from darkness to light...'. Together with many posters of success stories, we are showing others that T does not have to be the end game. Good life can still be back. Keep up the faith and take good care.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Christian, I guess you probably know (could not tell from your post) but in case not, diclofenac has ototoxic effects. They are supposed to be temporary (they go when you stop using), although I think some people on the web might have claimed otherwise. Don't want to stress you unnecessarily, but if you are still taking then it might be worth trying something else.

21. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Thank you for this post... I have severe panick and anxiety attacks everday not related to T and it knocks the wind out of me for 2 months already ....and I cannot work at the moment.... but I will overcome this....If it comes than it can also go away!
      Thanks these posts give me energy

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      When I did TRT originally (twenty years ago), my TRT clinician was Dr. Pawel Jastreboff. The protocol for relapse after completing TRT calls for sound therapy only; there is no need for counseling. If I'm not doing better within a couple of weeks, I'll see Dr. Jastreboff again. Fortunately he now lives in Atlanta, which is where I live. (When I originally saw him, he was in Baltimore.) If he is unavailable or out-of-the country, then I'll see Dr. Paula Schwartz in Minneapolis or Dr. Gail Brenner in Philadelphia.

stephen nagler

23. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Wow, this is a perfect way of looking at the future. I remember reading your post "From the darkness into the light" and it was magnificently written - and gave a lot of hope to the reader. I still look to it here and there when I need a small boost. Thank You :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I agree. This has really helped me.
      @billie48 has your H improved? I recently got it and freaking out!

25. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i used paracetamol 2-3g per day several day and 3 pills of 50mg tramadol for pain, and i noticed hearing loss.... it was all in end january, stone went out 10 feb

• Like Like x 1
    26. lofarl

lofarl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/05/2012
      Hiya Dr Nagler. I know you better as SNM or stringplayer. You may recall I used to post a lot on TSMB. I am confident you will recover from this bump in the road. I used to think it was insane how loud my tinnitus sounds. But as you know as well as me it is just the sound of your brain. I wish you all the best in your current trouble, I proably would not be here if it were not for your help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Agree whole-heartedly. Dr. Nagler has helped so many including myself. His writing 'Letter to a Tinnitus Sufferer' has a great influence on me to start questioning the role of reaction to my T suffering, as well as leading me to begin countering my distorted thoughts which eventually led to my habituation. I honestly don't know what would happen had he not been around helping us desperate newbies back then.

28. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Wishing a good and fast recovery @nagler

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thanks for the kind words. But since this is the thread for Dr. Nagler, let me just be brief about my H. It just faded over time within a year of its start and this seems to be the case for many who develop H after T. So don't worry about it. Keep relax and positive. Do ear protection sensibly and just let the body run its course of healing. God bless.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Dr. Nagler,I logged off then saw your post .I am so sorry your tinnitus is causing you to get treatment. I will be praying for your recovery.You have helped me and so many with T.You know much about tinnitus so you should just know you have support and many people that care about you deeply on here .That is the beauty of this site.We are all brothers and sisters of tinnitus and there is just so much support on this site.Thank god for TT.Good Luck and God Bless Dr. Nagler. (uncle vikin) Mike K.