My Trip to the Supermarket Was UNBELIEVABLE. How Is This Even Possible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnotherProblem, Jun 25, 2018.

1. AnotherProblem

AnotherProblem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Monday, June 18th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel like I have dog hearing, only instead of hearing high-pitched sounds, I hear every low sound. Every machine in the supermarket was right up against my ear drum. FFS, I feel like I can hear every low-pitched sound in the universe now. If there's a low-pitched equivalent to a pin dropping, it's enough to shake an elephant standing on my ear drum.

I'm basically nonfunctional at this point. I should have gotten a Driving While Intoxicated With Overwhelming Noise.

I honestly just want to go deaf now. It would be a welcome relief.

The funny thing is, though, that there comes a point where the ear drum is so saturated with sound that it sort of goes numb to everything. Eventually, I can't hear one more low, rumbling noise because there's nothing left to register.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to do at this point. Call an ambulance? Jump out the window?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @AnotherProblem ,
      Is your tinnitus a low drone,hum, hover sound or grand prix sound ?
      love glynis x

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnotherProblem

AnotherProblem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Monday, June 18th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      With certain sounds such as the air conditioning running, it starts out as a windows-down-on-the-highway kind of sound, and eventually saturates to the point where it mostly just feels like pressure. With a lot of this, I "feel" it more than hear it...wind wobbling stuff in my ear.

It can also remind me of my dryer running.

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm sorry to say that the current understanding (as far as I know, and I am certainly not a doctor) is that the issue is more in the brain and even if you went deaf, you would probably hear the tinnitus.

I hope that you are joking about jumping out the window.

Don't give up hope. I know how debilitating tinnitus can be, but you can get through this. Most people recover within a couple years. I know that the thought of two years of this sounds horrible, but where your tinnitus is still new, you have a good chance of recovery. There are a number of us here who have had it for a very long time; you will be able to get through it.

@Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

Please, if you are actually considering harming yourself, tell someone who cares about you, or at least go to a hospital. I understand the feeling.

I would like to recommend that you read the follwing post by @Michael Leigh.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

He presents a lot of excellent information on tinnitus, and I, and many others, have found it very helpful, especially those for whom tinnitus is new.

I also want to suggest that you try to keep a positive attitude. Stress is known (certainly here) to exacerbate tinnitus symptoms. And, a positive mindset can help alleviate the symptoms.

@billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Michael Leigh wrote the following, excellent post on the importance of positivity: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      and the following on negativity and tinnitus
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

I wish you luck. I hope that you find the answers and support you are looking for here. We understand what you are going through. You do not have to fight this alone. We are here for you. Hang in there, you till get through this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnotherProblem

AnotherProblem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Monday, June 18th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, I think what I have is defined as "hyperacusis," not tinnitus. The sensation is always brought about by noise. No noise and I don't get it.

I don't see any good hyperacusis forums, so I figured people here might have some experience with it, since this stuff might overlap.

I don't think I have the balls to kill myself, but if I did, I most certainly would if this persists. My quality of life in this state is not worth living. Driving is excruciating to where I probably shouldn't even be attempting it. Walking around the supermarket is excruciating. The air conditioning fan going on is overwhelming. The thunder in thunderstorms is pretty bad too.

If it's low frequency, it's shaking that ear drum.

My guess is the culprit is a brain tumor, as it came on suddenly Monday morning last week when I woke up. I guess the good news is the tumor will eventually do me in anyway.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice there's a separate forum here for hyperacusis. I've been kind of distracted.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Kolisar

I haven't seen you on the forum for some time and hope that you are keeping well and your tinnitus isn't giving too much trouble. I want to thank you for continuing to mention my posts and articles to people that come here for help with their tinnitus. We both know how overwhelming it can be emotionally for those new to this condition. You write with such fluidity and ease, it makes your positivity shine through on every line.

Please keep up the splendid work.
      Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    7. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      You need to go to a doctor ASAP. There are many causes or issues that might be going on. Some could be as simple as getting some compacted ear wax removed or a dead spider in your ear but the sooner you go the sooner you'll get answers and the less likely chance your ears get permanent irrecoverable damage. So go to a walk-in or make an appointment for tomorrow as soon as you see this.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      All normal reactions with your recent (June 18)onset of tinnitus/hyperacusis @AnotherProblem.

Give yourself some time and maybe see a medical doctor.

The grocery store was really a challenge for me in the first few months. So many loud shrills. Even parking and getting inside!! People with key fobs that make the horn honk...ugg.

So take it easy on your ears for now. Stress will tense you up and make it worse.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Never understood why American cars do that? The obvious reason being to tell you where your car is, but why would you need to highlight where your unlocked car is to everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I do not have hyperacusis, and I the horns bother me as well, especially when in a parking garage.

11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The car typically honks when you lock it, or in my case when you forget that you already locked it and accidentally press the lock button again. It’s as if my car is yelling, yeah I’m still locked so move along.

12. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I remember all the various hire cars I’ve had - whilst over there - doing it but couldn’t remember which way round it was. Still seems a weird convention to me. You can hear the car lock and a lot of cars illuminate as well, so there really isn’t much use for the car to honk in my opinion. Is it only America that does this or do other countries do it as well? I’ve only experienced it in the USA so far.

From memory, I don’t remember my ears being bothered by it though.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Unfortunately, I no longer can hear the car lock. Especially if my kids are talking or it’s a busy parking lot, so I often accidentally make my car honk as I’m halfway across the parking lot. But I do wish it was a different noise rather than an annoying honk!

14. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I've been there too. You are stressed and to focused on your T, this is why. You'll see with time, when you are relaxed and start focusing on other things, you wont have these problems anymore. Trust me on this.

15. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Don't forget that the brain is extremely powerful. When you are in this state of mind, it can pull tricks on you. If you are calm and stress less, you will experience wonders.