N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
    2. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Hearing loss
      I use these

Attached Files:

3. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
    4. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:

To be honest concert that loud even with earplugs of -20dB is still loud goes over bones and other ways. People think ear plugs protect, while they do ear canal partially but not hearing. They are meant as supplement on lower noises like lawn mower...

5. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also had impression nac got my t up

6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I found some interesting information on NAC. If you study up on neurons it might make some sense. Apparently, it can help to restore a glutamate balance to neurons after cocaine use. Before reading, just remember that glutamate is essential to the function of the body, but when it gets too low or too high things can get bad.

Here is an article on one of theories on how it works:

nrn2515-i2.jpg

Source:
      https://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v10/n8/box/nrn2515_BX3.html

This is information on the cysteine/glutamate transporter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLC7A11#Regulation

NAC affect on glutamate before and after:

Screen-Shot-2015-10-04-at-20.56.31-1024x350.png

Source:
      https://nootropix.com/nootropics-drug-abuse-addiction/

From what I hear, the optimum dosage of NAC is important while taking it. If it works, that's great, but too much NAC or too little can cause problems. I don't quite understand how the restoration of the synaptic terminals occurs because of NAC. It seems there is less glutamate and less AMPA and NMDA receptors after NAC restoration. That definately sounds good to prevent overexcitability of the cell if there was too much there. If anyone can explain how this works, please let me know. :)

• Like Like x 2
    7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I may have found some information on how that last part works and maybe be able to answer my own question ...

"Cysteine assists in the regulation of neuronal intra- and extracellular exchange of glutamate through the cystine–glutamate antiporter. Whereas this antiporter is ubiquitous throughout all cell types, in the brain it is preferentially located on glial cells.25 The dimer, cystine, is taken up by astrocytes and exchanged for glutamate, which is released into the extracellular space. This free glutamate appears to stimulate inhibitory metabotropic glutamate receptors on glutamatergic nerve terminals and thereby reduce the synaptic release of glutamate.26Given that relation, the amount of cysteine in the system as well as the feedback via GSH production by neurons may directly regulate the amount of glutamate present in the extracellular space. Furthermore, GSH itself has been shown to potentiate brain N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor response to glutamate in rats."

Source:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044191/

Also, here is some information I found on the MGluR2, MGluR3, and MGluR5 receptors which are shows in the picture I posted previously:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabotropic_glutamate_receptor

8. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      I think too much NAC is bad... since I take daily NAC, I keep it around 600mg to 1200mg.

I have had no change with my T, since I been on NAC. I am though just taking a vitamin B complete plus C (they have almost the same ingredients as a bottle of lipo).

9. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      Yes, I agree that a consistent yet moderate dosage is likely the best way to go with NAC. I also agree with a prior poster that it's primary value is preventative rather than curative.

10. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      So, would you take 1 mg throughout the day or 3mg all at once at night before bed? lol.. i've never taken more than 1mg, and never consecutively.

11. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      So what do you guys consider to be the right daily dosage for NAC to be preventative, without falling into the risk of out tinnitus possibly becoming more obtrusive? What is that safe dosage?

12. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I do 1000 mg per day.
      If I get exposed to something really loud and it worries me, I'll do two doses of 2000 mg, and then back to 1000 per day.

13. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      What brand do you use? Any links? I have some trouble swallowing large pills, so hopefully something small!

14. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
    15. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      NAC does smell like rotten eggs. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I believe it is also supposed to be taken on an empty stomach and with vitamin C.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I notice that my stomach hurts and yesterday I got a fever from taking NAC. As I am going on a flight tomorrow I have taken 1200 mg of NAC in one go. Maybe I need to take 600 mg at difference times during the day? Have anybody else gotten side effects from NAC?

18. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Stress/Lack of sleep/Headphones
      Guys, I am ordering NAC, because I can see much benefits when I take it. Doctors here prescribe it as medicament for lungs cleaning, but it is too expensive and has fillers. Basically 600mg powder is like 1$ or a bit less ... I have problems with my lungs (asthma in regress), so this thing is making wonders. It even eases my tinnitus after a few days of using it.

So now I am ordering the pure stuff from iHerb and I am a bit confused between three products.

Two of them are Jarrow NAC (sustained and not sustained) and the other is Thorne Research, Cysteplus. The latter one is more expensive, but as I understand Thorne is a top-quality, pharmaceutical grade company. It has fewer fillers, no magnesium stearate(but has Hypromellose), and it is a capsule (which I think is better than tablet).

Yep ... I am overthinking it :D

But has anyone tried any of these products? Any recommendations?

19. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      What do you guys think about Mucomyst? I just saw that it was basically acetylcysteine (or NAC as I understand it) which people took with an inhaler. Sometimes I wonder if it would work a little differently or faster. I have never tried it.

This website I found says that NAC taken orally will not work for respiratory diseases but inhaled NAC will.

Has anyone else on this board tried it? Feedback would be great. Thanks

http://www.clintwoodpharmacy.com/n-acetyl-cysteine.htm

20. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      hey buddy

Where will you order it from? It is extremely hard to find NAC in capsule form here. Only the effervescent ones that are prescribed for phlegm and I am not sure if they are the same / have the same benefits.

21. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Iherb.com

• Like Like x 2
    22. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      Thanks ! It seems like their shipping to TR is faster and cheaper compared to other e-retailers. Now I wonder if it goes through the customs successfully....

EDIT : oh...I haven't realized there were links embedded in @CaRd's post...Now I feel stupid lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Stress/Lack of sleep/Headphones
      NAC works really well for me when i have lungs problems. I start caughing out the bad stuff in my lungs after only a few days of using it. I take it as a powder.

Hey Melike! Sorry for answering so late ... Been bussy with other things. Did you find what you are looking for? I still have not ordered NAC, but i am about to do it as the cold days are starting. I cut off most of my supplements after doing some blood-tests, so now i will be only taking NAC and Magnesium Citrate(both from Thorne).

24. Chaz

Chaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      NAC gives me the worst gas.
      Anyone else experience this haha? I could clear out a room if I wanted to.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Is it true that n acetylcysteine (NAC) has otoprotective (protective properties for the ear)? And it is recommended to use it as a treatment and prevention after a brief exposure to loud noise? Are there any scientific justifications? What about melatonin? Thank you

Who takes NAC, tell me how does it affect your tinnitus? Does not it increase it? What average dosage do you take, which is the maximum? Whether it is normal to accept on 1800 mg? Is NAC not ototoxic?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    26. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Tell or say, whether it is possible to 5qk3 n-acetylcysteine and antidepressant SSRI (escitalopram) simultaneously?

I take NAC 1200 mg (2 capsules) a day with an antidepressant. Just someone said that, NAC itself increases serotonin. And too much of it is dangerous.

27. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Tell or say, whether it is possible to accept n acetylcystiene and atidepressant SSRI (escitalopram) simultaneously? I take NAC 1200 mg (2 capsules) a day with an antidepressant. Just someone said that, NAC itself increases serotonin. And too much of it is dangerous. Did you take them together, this did not increase your noise?

28. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have bought some NAC in powder form and took some yesterday and today, because I was going to a restaurant and a bar (with moderate music) it taste absolutely awful, but oh well.....if it works. I took the recommended 700 mg.

Can it cause T to spike?

29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think I will take it every day, just when and if I get exposed to some loud noise.

30. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am thinking of upping my intake of NAC. The past 2-3 weeks I have taken about 800-900 mg. NAC about 3-4 times a week and now my hyperacusis has diminished to very little.

I am thinking of starting taking it on a daily basis, about 1000 mg, to see if it can help better on my tinnitus, BUT I am quite afraid of the hightened risk of kidney stones.

Do any of you know if I can do anything to prevent kidney stones.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1