N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Its a natural supplement do not think you will get it on prescription and doubt the Dr will have a clue about it anyway ..im going to have a real go at it now 3 x 600mg a day.........some side effects on mice but would be the equivelent of a human taking about 35 capsules a day,

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @lapidus No problem, I'm glad to help! :) And this information is for @carlover too!:)

Regarding safety, NAC is probably fine. And it has been used in high doses to control a specific type of epilepsy. While numerous studies demonstrate NAC's antioxidant effect against ototoxic drugs, hearing loss, and noise-damage-- I've only encountered one case where it helped with tinnitus. That case is referenced earlier in this thread, but I'll include another link below. In the tinnitus instance, a woman chose to take NAC instead of an antidepressant. As a wonderful side effect, however, the drug lowered her tinnitus.

You could try the drug for 30 days, and see if it reduces your tinnitus. It should not increase your tinnitus, though at least one person on the board did note this effect. But I believe her tinnitus went back to baseline after she stopped the NAC.

If you take it, you could try 500 mg 4x a day or 600 mg 3x or 4x a day. (In the study, the woman took 2 grams daily.) Make sure to take the drug in equal doses spaced evenly throughout the day. You want to keep the levels as constant as possible. Try this amount for 30 days. If you don't get improvement, you might want to reduce to 600 mg a day or every other day. Many people on TT take the supplement because of its antioxidant effects--to protect the inner ear from drug, noise, and other potential hazards. If, however, you do experience noise exposure or must take ototoxic drugs, then increase your dose and follow the guidelines on the NAC clinical trial reference, located on TT.

Some people on TT have reported softer tinnitus after taking NAC, but I don't know if it will have a major effect. But time and dosage will ultimately give you an answer!

In case you're interested, there are two possible explanations how NAC could help with tinnitus. The first pertains to its role in helping the body produce glutathione, which is the brain's main free radical scavenger. Tinnitus increases free radicals in the brain and the ear. By using NAC, you are helping the brain rid itself of these damaging free radicals. In addition, some authors argue that the micro circulation in the inner ear is also improved, which may have an effect on tinnitus. The second pertains to tinnitus' relationship to depression. It is possible that depression and tinnitus share some causative features. Oxidative stress is present in both diseases. And tinnitus is also worsened by depression--whether the depression precedes or follows it.

Here is a link to side effects from NAC. The supplement should not be taken if you have asthma:

For the case report of NAC alleviating tinnitus see the following:

For the clinical trial on NAC and magnesium to protect against noise exposure, see the following:
      For oxidative stress and tinnitus, see the following:
      For depression and oxidative stress, see the following:

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks @jazz you're a goldmine, as usual.
      You didnt have to go through all that trouble though. I've would've been happy with just a yes/no answer too :)
      I think I'm gonna try it if I can find it and hope for the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I took my first NAC pill (600mg) this morning. Maybe a placebo effect or something else, but my T may have reduced a bit. Probably too early to tell, so lets see... :)

• Like Like x 3
    5. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    7. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @lapidus
      At least you know where to go if he doesn't :)

Pleasure to help!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I want to try NAC...

I'm scared of taking it because the cause of my T is ototoxicity!! So I know I'm sensitive to meds...

I don't know what to do really... magnesium has no impact on my T...

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi everyone,

I've been on NAC, 1200 mg--divided into two 600 mg doses--since August 17 so that's almost two weeks. And it has helped lower my tinnitus! I'm sure of it.(y)

My tinnitus cycles, and it still cycles with the NAC. But my low-to-moderate days (60% percent of the time) are much lower; and on my lowest days (20% of the time) my tinnitus is 90% gone. On those days, I can sit in silence and, while I still hear my tinnitus, it is very faint and far off. So I can easily tune it out.

I'll write again after 30 days; two weeks is not enough time. At this point, I want to stay at 1200 mg; NAC, while safe, does have some side effects, and I'd prefer to find the minimum dosage that works.

@ampumpkin You could try a 600 mg for a week and see how your body responds to it. iHerb even has a 600 mg sustained release version. This will insure your body gets a more equitable dose throughout the day. Perhaps, keeping the drug at a constant level will minimize potential side effects. And if you do get loud, you can always discontinue. But, if the supplement agrees with you, you can double the dose to 1200 mg, sustained release, once a day. I would not go over 1200 mg per day unless you've been on the supplement a long time and feel the need to increase. Then you might go up to 1800 mg.

@lapidus @Sound Wave @valeri Good luck to all and keep us posted! :) Like I noted above, you might start with just one pill a day and go up to two pills. That said, I started with two pills spaced over a twelve-hour period, and I did not have any side effects.

@carlover How are you doing on the supplement?

Perhaps, I'm too optimistic but I believe most people should get some relief from this supplement. You just need to give it time and be sure to take with a meal. NAC pills smell really bad! :D

Here's a link to Jarrow NAC Sustained Release. There are several quality supplements companies, and Jarrow is one of the best.

• Winner Winner x 2
    10. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Waiting for mine for couple of months now..
      In Singapore its precipitation only.. so someone bringing it for me with a precipitation letter from doctor outside Singapore. ..
      Hoping that it will work for me too.

11. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @

Hi @jazz
      ;

That's fantastic and exciting news---I am so happy for you! I have a bottle of Doctor's Best NAC (600mg) sitting on my shelf, unopened. You have inspired me to give it a try. Looking forward to your subsequent reports!

All the best, Golly

12. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Golly

Looking forward to your reports too!:) Besides lowering my tinnitus, I've been able to quit my other supplements, except for melatonin. But I've reduced this too from 3 mg to 900 mcg a night.

Hoping you'll get the same--or better--results!:D

jazz

• Like Like x 1
    13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Hopefully I haven't already posted this and forgot, but in case any local Aussies want to try NAC, I always use: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/buy/n-acetyl-cysteine-nac/NAC

It's bulk, so you'll save on $$$ but you'll need a scale handy (you can get a decent one for around $30AUD) to weigh doses. They might also have capsule versions on the site, not sure though.

14. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
    15. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @valeri I'm sure it is fine! I just think the sustained release might be better because it will keep the NAC at a more steady level.

But I don't take a sustained release version. I just take a regular version, 600 mg, 2x a day.

Good luck! I hope the NAC helps you. I think it will! :)

16. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
    17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @gebora Hell0!

Are you still on 1800 mg NAC? And how is your tinnitus doing?

18. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is a 2012 article from Psychology Today on the benefits of NAC for various brain disorders. For many brain disorders, including tinnitus, part of the culprit is excessive glutamate. NAC helps clean up this excess. For tinnitus sufferers like ourselves, focusing on glutamate makes sense. Please note NAC is not without side effects; that's why it's prudent to start with smaller doses and only increase if necessary.

Here are some excerpts, focusing only on the glutamate aspect. She also discusses the antioxidant effect in the full article:

As usual it all goes back to glutamate, the excitatory neurotransmitter of doom. In short, having too much glutamate around is to your neurons rather like whipping your horse to go and go and go until you kill it. Horses and brains need time at pasture, chilling out and eating appropriate foods, and sometimes a nice rubdown and brushing. Well, NAC seems to be able to get into some tricky areas of the brain and do some amazing management of glutamate. Over the past few years, a number of intriguing studies have come out using NAC alone or as adjunct treatment for some difficult psychiatric conditions. Some of these were decent multicenter randomized controlled trials. The real deal.
      [NAC] is a hepatoprotective antioxidant that is converted to cysteine, a substrate for the glutamate-cysteine antiporter. This antiporter allows for the uptake of cysteine, which causes the reverse transport of glutamate into the extracellular space, which stimulates inhibitory metabotropic glutamate receptors and, thereby, reduces synaptic release of glutamate....

Translating the sciencespeak: NAC helps excess (and toxic) glutamate stop being at the wrong place at the wrong time. It helps us put that brain out to pasture for some rest and recovery.

What are the downsides of NAC? I can think of two problems that might be biggies - first off, NAC is a mucolytic that thins mucus by cutting disulfide bonds. I suspect that might raise risks - one wouldn't want too little mucus. Mucus is important. Paul Jaminet mentions this issue and links a study here. Also, cutting disulfide bridges within the body is what that inflammatory baddie homocysteine is supposed to do, leading to crispy collagen and inelastic elastin in the arteries (which would possibly first show up as high blood pressure).

Reference:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz
      Can NAC be taken while taking antidepressants (I'm on Zoloft)?

Also can melatonin be taken with the two mentioned above?

Thanks!

20. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @valeri Hi! I'd talk this over with your doctor, including how much NAC you plan to take. NAC does affect serotonin--and so do antidepressants and melatonin. I do not take any antidepressants or other drugs currently, except for melatonin and 50 mg Benadryl nightly. But I've decreased my melatonin from 3 mg to 900 mcg. That's quite a reduction. But I still sleep very soundly.

So talk to your doctor and about your plans. He'll tell you if your combination is safe, and if there are things you should monitor.

Good luck! :)

21. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz
      Finding a dr here who would know about NAC is like winning a lottery.
      I did ask few that I saw but they were like: What was that again?
      :(
      I'm trying to come off Zoloft but this is proving to be really hard, even tapering down slowly still causing a lot of side effects.

Thanks for your reply!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. inadmin

inadmin Member

@jazz i have a bottle here and it says to take the pill on an empty stomache. What gives?

23. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi jazz.. I am on 1600-1800 mg per day but my T is stable.. There was little bit bettering, but no more improvement.. But i read in another independent czech forum about girl, her T and relief of her T during taking of NAC. When she stopped take NAC, T came back... But i dont have significant improvement more... Stable... I hope, NAC protect my ears...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @jazz
      Here in Sweden it's just called Acetylcystein. What does the "N" stand for? According to wikipedia N-Acetylcysteine and Acetylcysteine are the same things.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

So I guess the stuff I can get here in Sweden is NAC? My doc hasnt contacted me for a new visit yet, but he has said he will precsribe it since it is a safe and often precscribed medicine.

25. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's the same thing yes. This explains the naming convention:

Acetylcysteine is the N-acetyl derivative of the amino acid L-cysteine, and is a precursor in the formation of the antioxidant glutathione in the body. The thiol (sulfhydryl) group confers antioxidant effects and is able to reduce free radicals.

(source)

Is NAC a prescription drug in Sweden? Interesting... You can get it without prescription here in Finland. And in most countries I think.

• Like Like x 1
    26. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks Markku! Yes you need a prescription here. This is Sweden man, there's even age restrictions on energy drinks (altough that might be a good thing cause that's pure poison anyway).

27. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Better absorption to the body. I take all my vitamins with a fruit juice. If you do end up getting a headache then usually means you need to take the vitamins with food.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm just going to combine my responses in one thread. Thanks everyone!:)

@inadmin Taking the supplement on a full stomach might also prevent nausea, a common side effect of the drug.

@gebora I'm sorry you didn't get a better response. Still, you did get improvement, and it may prevent further worsening since it's otoprotective. And I don't believe NAC will cure tinnitus; it may reduce it, even significantly, but won't be a cure. There's nothing to suggest this. That's another reason to ascertain the smallest effective dosage, for we'll probably be on the supplement a few years.

Excellent. Well, let us know when you start. @iAzra even said NAC is especially useful for hyperacusis!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Whether it works well or not might be determined by the quality not just the dosage. I began taking a NAC sup only about a month ago. Only 600 mg a day. I purchased the product because it claims to be pharmaceutical grade and has very favorable reviews on Swanson's Vitamins website. One of the reviews states that the odor or lack there of is an indication of freshness. However, I don't know if that's true or not. What I can attest to is that there is almost no odor when you open a bottle. There still is very little odor now even though I opened it 3 weeks ago.

I've not experienced any change in my T on 600 mg a day. I think that I'm going to begin trying 600 2 x a day for the next month. I'll let you guys know if there's any change either way.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swan...teine-pharmaceutical-grade-600-mg-60-veg-caps

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      I got mine yday night.. its 600mg per pill
      Will give it a go from today.. 600×2 after food 12 hrs apart.
      Hopefully it will help..