N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Is your T noise induced or other?

2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Golly
      What did I tell you?
      I went to see my dr to ask about NAC and Zoloft.
      I think when he saw that bottle in my hand that his blood pressure went through the roof.
      He said: I can't tell you because there's no studies being done on this. Don't you ever go down supplements way coz you will get really really unwell.
      Hmmmmm....really????
      $80 later.....

3. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Jay,...If the odor really bothers you, the brand that I previously mentioned in this thread and provided a link to is practically odorless. Just check out the reviews for yourself. Btw, I can attest to that fact from my own experience with it.

I'm really not trying to push this brand because I have not experienced any improvement in my T after taking it (600 mg a day) for 3 weeks. However, I do want to let those people that are really bothered by the odor to know that there is at least one brand out there where it is hardly noticeable..

4. Dedas
      No Mood

Dedas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      I use the brand Teva. It has a nice fresh smell (and taste) of citrus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      GNC brand smells like sewer.

6. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @valeri:

You could always get a second opinion. Anyway, your doctor is wise to err on the side of caution: if he is unsure and uncomfortable with the NAC/Zoloft combination, then perhaps best to avoid.

-Golly

7. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      NAC is not OTOTOXIC. it is over the counter and a vegetable capsule. Its an Antioxidant

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @jimH did you notice any improvement in your T so far?

9. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've not experienced any change in my T condition for the better or worse as of yet. I've only been taking 600 mg a day for a little over three weeks now. I plan on increasing to 600 mg 2 x a day in the near future. I'll stay on that dosage for at least three months. I'll let you guys know if there's any change either way.

I think that I've read that Jazz feels that she has had some improvement from taking NAC. However, I don't remember exactly what her daily dosage is. I know this is a long thread to read through so you could pm her instead.

10. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I am pretty sure that @jazz is taking 1,200mg (two doses of 600mg) daily.
      -G

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Rico Napoli

Rico Napoli Member

NAC is only a protective measure against noise induced danger so ear plugs may be a better choice without the side effects. Also what is the FDA opinion on NAC ?

12. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Yes, I am.

13. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I've been on NAC for a little over thirty days. In that time, my tinnitus has been reduced overall, and I my quiet days are really fantastic. But my tinnitus is still bothersome about two days a week, despite the sound reduction.

Most of my review appears in my post #111. I don't have much to add except that I'm trying to reduce my loud days further by altering my diet. I'm going to try a low carb diet for a month to see if that will keep my tinnitus low.

In addition, my hyperacusis is now gone. I only had a mild case, but I would wince at environmental sounds and the garbage disposal used to drive me crazy. But now I no longer wince at anything, and, overall, my tinnitus is less reactive.

In sum, I'm very pleased. But I hope my improvements last, and I do not build a tolerance. NAC is not like Retigabine. It is not going to reverse tinnitus. While a potent antioxidant, NAC's greatest effect on tinnitus is probably in reducing glutamate. That reduction will be reversed when the supplement is discontinued.

I hope other people also achieve a significant reduction in their tinnitus and hyperacusis!:)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. jeffie7
      Wishful

jeffie7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2003
      I'm getting in on the fun. Picked up 60 tablets from GNC for $14.99 they are 600mg tabs, I popped 2 in the parking lot this morning and just took another 1 tonight (12 hours later) I plan on doing 600mg twice a day for the first week than going to 600mg after the week is up. I'll report any issues back here and hopefully progress.

So far no side effects, however I do have a head cold so if I did have any side effects it could easily be blamed on the cold, example head ache from head cold.

Anyways, so far so good.

I have T from hearing loss, so I'm not being super hopeful of it helping much, but the idea of added protection from future damage is the part I'm going for.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. Marius T
      Fine

Marius T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Hi everyone, I'm very new to this site and after a concert 3 weeks ago i've got tinnitus, i'm under B vitamins, corticoids, tanakan (ginkgo biloba), magnesium, omega 3 and some homeopathic treatment. My tinnitus isn't very loud but it really bothers me and I'm really depressed thinking it won't go away (i'm only 17..). Although i've noticed a decrease in the intensity of my tinnitus, i'm considering taking parts of the AM 101 trials, maybe HBOT, and now thinking about that NAC stuff.
      Can please anyone help me and counsel me about what do I have to do/take ?
      Thank you for reading, all the best.

16. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @Marius T:

Welcome to this excellent site! I understand you are depressed; but try to take things one day at a time. First off, you should chat with a doctor. He or she should be able to advise you on which supplements/medications/treatments are best at this stage.

I suggest you peruse the many informative threads here at TT. This site is a gold mine of tinnitus-related knowledge. Different things work for different people. One common theme, however, is the need for proper sleep. Sleep might not make tinnitus better; but it almost certainly will enable you to cope with it better.

Everyone here is friendly and generous with their wisdom. Know that regardless of the course you pursue to deal with your tinnitus, you well feel better in time!

Best, Golly

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Marius T
      Fine

Marius T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      @Golly Thank you for your support/advices and for reading my story, i'm going to see a good ENT doctor the 30 of this month, i'll talk with him about the AM 101 and this Nac product, i'll keep it posted.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz
      Have you started 1200mg straight away or 600mg first for a week or two?

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi. No, I started the 1200 right away, morning and evening. But there's no reason why you couldn't start with 600 mg and see if it agrees with you. A common side effect from the drug is an upset tummy. I always take mine with a meal and have not had any problems.:)

20. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz
      Thank you, I took one this morning, no problem so far but I think I will wait another week before I start 1200mg.
      Will keep you all informed if any improvement.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I received my Jarrow NAC today.

I too am starting an experiment with this stuff. It's not my first time taking NAC, but it's been a while, and the dosage I'm now going to begin with is twice that of my last time.

My plan: 600 mg twice a day.

I'll report back promptly if I notice any changes. At the very least this should be otoprotective so will not be complaining!

wp_20140922_14_07_27_pro.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    22. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Markku
      I'm using DoctorsBest brand from iherb.
      Didn't know there is this sustained release one so I'm hoping that the one I use is still ok.
      How did you take it before?

23. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      hi. I was just wondering how is everyone doing that is taking NAC?

24. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @jazz
      I finally got my prescription. I got 200 mg effervescent tablets by the name Acetylstein Meda. The dosage my doc recommended was 1 tablet 3 times daily, so 600 mg a day. Should I do a higher dose? My doc doesnt know anything about T or H so he just put me the regular dosage. What should I do?

25. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @lapidus
      I've started on Monday(23/9) with 600mg, will wait another week before I increase.
      So far no side efects.
      I'm a chicken when it comes to things like that so I always choose the safer path.
      Keep us informed and good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    26. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd try it at your doctor's dose for 30 days. Maybe 600 mg is all you'll need. 1200-1800 is commonly cited for protection from loud sounds. There's no specific dose for tinnitus; but the article I read had a women take 2 grams a day. She was taking it for depression, but, as an unexpected side effect, her tinnitus got better!

In general, it's best to take the smallest effective dose of any supplement or drug. This is because long term no one knows if they will do damage to our systems. NAC, while not a supplement in Sweden, is probably used similarly to its medical indication in the US: to detox, especially from acetaminophen.

Taking it 3x a day is also good. You'll keep a study level in your blood. This should be more effective for tinnitus then allowing the levels to fluctuate.

Your hyperacuasis should also improve.:)

27. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @jazz Hi Jazz could to hear about your improvements with hyperacuasis! I am going to try to order this online, do you have a good source or where should I buy it? I read up above that the TEVA brand has a much more pleasant taste. I have hyperacuais in my left ear and it seems to be getting worse along with the screetching NON STOP T at a high high frequency. When did you start and how much? I am around 5'7 and weight 135 pounds. Really appreciate your help.

28. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know the correct therapeutic dose, but I would start off lower and increase.

I started off at 1200 mg, divided into two 600 mg doses. But it seems most doctors prefer the 600 mg dose. So, if I were to do it again, I'd probably start with 600 mg for 30 days then increase to 1200 mg if you aren't getting improvement. Something else you need to remember: if it works for you, you'll be taking it long term as it does not cure anything. It just helps with the noise and hyperacusis. That's another reason to start off lower and increase.

Always take with food.

I would not worry about the smell. Anyway, you're only popping it in your mouth for a second before swallowing. Be sure to take with food, however.

About brands, there are many good ones. Stick with a well known manufacturer. Don't go for the cheapest price. Jarrow is known is to make quality supplements. You can get it on www.iHerb.com or www.amazon.com. TwinLab also makes quality supplements and their NAC is also known not to smell.

Good luck and keep up posted! :)

29. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @jazz I am on this for certain it sound very encouraging. Can you tell me if it has helped you so far? I am going to purchase tmro. My hyperacusis has been bothering me a lot lately and my high pitch (like a dental drill) is 24/7 never ever better or stopping. I am ready to try anything at this point I appreciate your prompt response.Thank you!!!

30. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      Hi there,
      after reading a lot about NAC here in TT i ordered this from US. i´ve been taking it for a week now. 600mg/day. no changes whatsoever. Let´s see couple of weeks more.

Attached Files:

• nac.jpg
        nac.jpg
        File size:
        15.7 KB
        Views:
      • Like Like x 1