N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have been on 1000 mg per day right from the start (2 months now).

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I took 2000 mgs today and regularly take 1500 or 1000. Totally safe for most.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      I take 1200/day (600 in the morning and at night)... Seems like it takes the edge off the T for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      It seems to help me too i take same dose

5. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

Hey guys, I picked up a bottle of NAC in anticipation of my dental appointment but even after reading through this entire thread I'm not sure on the dosage.

From what I gather anything under 2g should be okay and prior to noise exposure you want to take a 1200 or 1800mg dosage. My pills are 600g. Does this mean I should take 3 of these at once right before the appointment? A few hours before? Or should I space it out throughout the day in anticipation of the appointment?

Say for instance my appointment is at 1pm. Do I take the 1800mg dose at 12pm, or should I space out 600mg the day before starting at night like at 8pm, 2am, 8am?

I have no real idea and I've googled all around to no avail. I just really want to protect my ears.

Thanks!

6. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      NAC is no miracle cure that will protect your ears. It may help but has never really been proven. There is also no consensus on dosage however it seems most people take 600mgs 3 times per day, evenly spaced out. It is also pointless to just megadose for one day. If they are effective, which they may or may not be, then you really need to be taking them regularly for a few weeks before they are going to have any effect.

7. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      i took it again but more carefully.
      It changes something in hearing less spikes lowers T relieves H but after some time of use
      worsening happens.
      So this time iam getting in lower doses < 200mg x 3 times per day
      and i get it in cycles example 2 days taking 1 not taking or i will get with the intensity of T
      so i will not suppress the endogenous glutathione production.

8. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I recently found a good journal article on various uses for NAC along with safe dosage information. It is interesting that NAC may reduce your likelihood of getting the flu or else attenuate its symptoms. Well, that's good to know since it's now flu season.

Here is an excerpt on NAC and the flu:

Influenza
      Compared with placebo, N-acetylcysteine dramatically attenuated influenza illness in a population of frail older adults who participated in a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study over a six-month period.18 The 262 participants were randomized to receive either N-acetylcysteine in a dosage of 600 mg twice daily or placebo, beginning before and continuing through the 1991 to 1992 influenza season. Although both groups had similar rates of seroconversion to A/H1N1 Singapore 6/86 virus, patients taking N-acetylcysteine were much less likely to have clinical influenza illness (29 percent of the N-acetylcysteine group versus 51 percent of the placebo group; P = .0006). In addition, episodes of clinical influenza illness that occurred in N-acetylcysteine-treated patients were, on average, much less severe. Cell-mediated immunity continually improved in the N-acetylcysteine group as a whole, whereas immunity in the placebo group remained unchanged.18

Here is the link to the entire article--free and full text! :)

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. ragingbill

ragingbill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i have a nephew in the navy and a daughter in the army. I will pulse them with this info and see if they can find corroboration.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There is enough information in this thread to make me think this is worth investigating. I've only been part of this community for about a week and I have more ideas to treat my condition than I did in years of going it alone. NAC sounds promising, if only to protect what functionality I still have in my ears.

11. Viktor Salvatore
      Smug

Viktor Salvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7-5-11
      Where do you get this drug? how much? overthe counter in America?

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi all: A lot of us here at TT have/do take NAC. I personally take it immediately prior to anticipated noise exposure (1800 all at once) and then 1200 mg per day, divided into two equal doses, for two days following. This was at the suggestion of my doctor, who is an inner ear surgeon. And I think it helps me. But as my doc, and others here, have said, there are no definitive, unbiased studies showing NAC works.

We also all assume its safe. But again, no studies have shown the affect of NAC over time. That's why I take it only as needed.

@Viktor Salvatore: NAC is easily available at most vitamin stores, and some drug and quality food stores (like Whole Foods). No prescription required and it is not terribly expensive. I usually buy trusted brands, like Solgar or Solaray. It often comes in 600 mg capsules, which makes the dosage easier.

Lots more available on this thread re. NAC is you scroll back.
      Thanks to @jazz, as always, for the research links.

13. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's what I do. I also take 600 mg twice a day after spikes caused by noise. Works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      Been on NAC twice now for about a week. It definitely makes my T louder and higher pitched temporarily.

15. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After a few weeks on this (also been taking one to two tsps of Apple Cider Vinegar a day) I can say that the H is much, much calmer and the hearing spikes have all but gone. I don't know which one of these may be the main reason for the improvement, but either way, I will continue both.

16. davidchampoux
      No Mood

davidchampoux Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, viral? ...
      Great news Michael! I'm very happy for you! How many MG of NAC do you take daily? Am? Pm? Evening?

17. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take one capsule (600 mg) with my lunch, since I read it was best to take it with a meal. And it goes down easier than the vinegar!

18. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hello everyone!!

I have question about NAC (N Acetylc cysteine suppliment) because i have read about it being helpful in some cases.

What are the basic benifits of NAC and does it help in anyway when exposed to loud noise while having T already?

If it helps please can anyone tell the dosage?

Thanks

19. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Yes it does. Take before or after noise and dosage wise I would say 600 mg 2x a day . I do admitedly tale up to 2500 mg some days when I teach long hours (I'm a music teacher/musician producer). I feel like it helps and gives me piece of mind.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      2 or 3 days before noise I take 600 mg twice daily. If I'm having a spike after noise I take 600 mg twice daily for a few days and then reduce to 600 mg daily until I get back to base levels.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Been on it for about a month now. No change.

I take 1200-1800 mg/day. Most of the days I take 3x600 mg with meals. I take one in the morning, one at lunch and one before bedtime and some days I occasonally forget to take one but I at least take it twice every day. And as I said, no change... :(

22. Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hi All,

Sorry I know I just posted but I just bought some NAC for my noise induced spike, just wondering if it is still effective if taken up too twelve hours after exposure?

I had to run around town looking for this this morning and the time I've taken it Im not sure if it will still be effective?

Also, how much am I meant to take?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

23. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I tried NAC and it didn't help me at all...If I were you, I'd get trobalt, as that can stop the spikes.

24. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You might try 1800 mg for several days. I would get 600 mg tablets. Take 1 tablet with vitamin C three times a day. I would take with food because the drugs will probably upset your stomach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      She can try Trobalt but right now she needs to do something to help shut it down. The NAC should help. But nothing is guaranteed in tinnitus, except that earlier treatment means better results.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hopefully NAC works, but I know for sure trobalt kills the spikes...Although, if NAC works, then use that.

27. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I just started taking NAC at a dose of 600mg per evening. I will report back with results, positive or negative. -G

28. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      So, question for this thread... I have an international flight coming up and will be in transit for 23 hours... Should I take NAC and how would you space it?

29. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Taking NAC can't hurt. I only take huge doses in relation to loud, unexpected noise exposure. Before a flight, I would probably stick to the recommendations put on the jar. Remember to wear earplugs while you walk through the airport gatehall. I'm not sure I'd wear earplugs during the flight in itself, though, since I don't know how it would affect the pressure in the inner ear.

30. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      A single person case study on NAC...

upload_2015-6-8_17-59-2.png

Attached Files:

• NAC.pdf
        File size: