N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. jeffie7
      Wishful

jeffie7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2003
      First day 1800mg following 10 days 1200mg and now down to 600mg this is only the 18-19th day.

After 1 week my T seemed higher but honestly I think it was just a spike that was unrelated to NAC

I plan on taking NAC for awhile. I'll post an update in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    2. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @DebInAustralia I am curious, have you taken the NACA for tinnitus with optimic outcome? Appreciate your input and also not certain if I can purchase your recommendation here in the US?

3. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @jeffie7 please tag me with your results, best of luck!

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am waiting to import naca to australia. Ill write more on my laptop tonight ok

• Like Like x 1
    5. sticky
      Sunshine

sticky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1997
      I have been taking NAC for only a short while, about a week, unfortunately it feels like it has made my tinnitus worse.

I could be focusing on it more because I am trying to do something about it, but I am thinking of stopping.

peace to all.

6. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, just reporting the NAC effects on me.

7 days on NAC 600Mg at the moment. Nothing so far. I've slept a bit better but I think that's more because I'm living in self-deception that NAC could give me some relief ;D

I think I'll do another week or couple of days at 600mg and then try 1200mg.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I too have been on NAC now for about 10 days 600mg and I feel no effect at all one way or the other

8. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      It's definitely not a cure. But it helps me. Time will tell if the effects are permanent--providing I continue to take the drug--or temporary. But I'm still bummed. I cycle and every two to three days. My low days are great; but my loud days are still loud. They might be a little less loud; it's hard to tell. But my loud days still are bothersome.

On the plus side, I was able to listen to music for an hour yesterday and did not get a spike. Since I've gotten tinnitus, I've never been able to listen to music in my left ear; I've had to plug it whenever I want to hear a song. But yesterday I tried it and nothing happened! So that's another good sign. But I am quite loud right now and I wonder if it's related, though I can't see having a 24-hour delayed reaction. The music was not loud, and in the past my reaction was always immediate.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I started today with 1 x 600 mg.
      Will see if anything will change.

• Like Like x 1
    10. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      I've been thinking of trying NAC N-Acetylcysteine. The body converts NAC to cysteine, and cysteine to glutathione. Natural foods that boost glutathione are asparagus, broccoli, avocado and spinach, raw eggs, garlic and fresh unprocessed meats. As for my diet, I already eat a lot of broccoli, avocados and spinach and as of late I feel garlic might be helping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi everyone!

If you're trying NAC, give it a month before making up your mind. If you see no improvement, either up the dosage to 1200 mg, divided, (if your taking 600 mg) or else quit it. After a month, I would not stay on 1200 mg of NAC if I was getting no response. None of these supplements have been studied long term. It's always best to error on the side of caution.

NAC is just an aid; but it does help some people. Like most supplements, however, it won't help everyone. And I'm not even sure if it's effects will lessen over time. Magnesium used to quiet me; now, it doesn't. Only time will tell if NAC will keep my tinnitus lower.

12. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz
      If NAC is not helping do you think it can still be taken for possible ear protection?

13. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure. But I wouldn't take 1200 mg daily. I'd probably take 600 mg. That said, if you plan on going to a concert, wedding, graduation party, etc., then you will need a higher dose along with ear protection.

14. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is another interesting article on NAC for hearing protection. In this study, textile workers took 1200 mg a day to protect from hearing damage due to loud machinery. Below is the abstract and a reference to the full text.

Noise Health. 2014 Jul-Aug;16(71):223-7. doi: 10.4103/1463-1741.137057.

Comparison of the effects of N-acetyl-cysteine and ginseng in prevention of noise induced hearing loss in male textile workers.

Doosti A, Lotfi Y1, Moossavi A, Bakhshi E, Talasaz AH, Hoorzad A.
      Author information

Abstract
      Previous studies revealed the role of antioxidant agents in prevention of noise induced hearing loss (NIHL). The aim of this study was to compare the protective effect of N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) and ginseng on protection of NIHL in textile workers exposed to continuous noise in daily working. In this study, 48 participants were randomly allocated to three groups; Group I received NAC 1200 mg/day, Group II received ginseng 200 mg/day, and Group III (control group) received no supplement. Pure tone audiometry and high frequency audiometry were performed preshift before and after 14 days (on day 15). Linear regression analysis results showed reduced noise-induced temporary threshold shift (TTS) for NAC and ginseng groups at 4, 6 and 16 kHz (P < 0.001) in both ears. Furthermore, the protective effects were more prominent in NAC than ginseng. Our results show that NAC and ginseng can reduce noise induced TTS in workers exposed to occupational noise. Further studies are needed to prove antioxidants benefits in hearing conservation programs.​

References

• Like Like x 1
    15. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      yesterday i took 600mg (in Spain only effervescent form) no change in my T, and was not aware of my H, wich usually bothers me while Im speaking. I was all afternoon speaking with a friend and i dont remember any annoyance from my H, so I guess its because of NAC. Next day I go to gym i will be very aware of my H as all those metallic sounds always annoy me

• Useful Useful x 1
    16. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      regarding H, wich is very related to TTS (tensor tympani syndrome), before, when i slight touch my face near my ear or my ear with my fingers, TTS reacted, now im testing and doesnt seem to react. it seems NAC really helps to H and TTS, any more thoughts about this?

17. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
    18. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've had T for over 30 years. I just completed a two month test taking a pharmaceutical grade of NAC. During the first month I took a single dose of 600 mg a day. At the end of the 30 days and not having experienced any change in my T condition, I increased my dosage to 1200 mg (600 mg x 2) a day for another 30 days.

I did not experience any change in my T condition on the 12oo mg a day dose either. I plan on cutting back to the manufacturer's recommended dose of 600 mg per day

19. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I have T and H which present themselves in a variety of different ways so would be interested to try this stuff to see if it can have any effect on anything. I'll report back on this front within the next few months.

20. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, reporting in, I've been 2 weeks on 650Mg of NAC and 1 week on 1300Mg. I did not notice any change. The only difference was that my heart seemed to beat a bit harder at evenings but that may be more stress related. Cutting back to 650Mg now.

21. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      Just started 600mg of Xymogen NAC, took on an empty stomach, it defintely didn't make my T worse, may have helped it a bit, I also have H but can't tell an effect on it. I will post more as they days go on.

22. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz

Can NAC be discontinued cold turkey or gradual withdrawal is required?
      Thanks!

No improvement for me after nearly 2 months:(

23. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is your dose? If you're taking 1200 mg, you might just try cutting in half for a few weeks until you've adjusted. There have been reports on this thread about people's tinnitus increasing after they quit NAC. But if NAC did not reduce your tinnitus, it's possible that quitting cold turkey would not make you louder.

About other side effects, I don't believe there are any involved with stopping NAC--except, like I noted, perhaps an increase in your tinnitus.

And any increase should be temporary. This supplement does not damage your hair cells.

Let us know what you plan to do! :)

24. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz

I've been taking 600mg, tried 1200mg for short time only but didn't have any change for better.
      I ordered some Tibetan herbal stuff that were mentioned in another thread so want to give that a go.

Or maybe I never reached a therapeutic dose for long enough, don't even know what that is!

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      I do notice the NAC has a calming affect shortly after I take it, and T calms down for a bit, but then goes back up, been on 600mg daily for going on a week.

26. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
    27. aylp
      Depressed

aylp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Hi all!

Anybody knows if one can obtain NAC without a prescription in the UK?

28. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've never seen this listed as a side effect in my own research. But no drug or supplement is without risks. Here is a link to information on NAC. Read it thoroughly to make sure you want to try the supplement.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck! :)

29. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      You can order it on Amazon. :) Didn't help me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. mcgregor

mcgregor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      No prescription needed, go to a health store, Holland and Barrett sell it about £8.50 for 30. I tried Boots and the pharmacist there thought you needed a prescription.