Name Our Puppy!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark McDill, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Ok, much to our cat's dismay, we bought our daughter a new puppy. Now we have to name him; he's a 2 1/2 month old, pure bred Siberian Husky. So far we have come up with

1. Bandit
      2. Niko
      3. Steel
      4. Vader

We are open to suggestions...

withApril.JPG

Mark :)

• Like Like x 2
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I'll vote for Niko!:)

And what a cutie!! Just don't let him pick on the kitty too much!:cat:

3. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      He looks like he is ready for some mischief!!

:D Enjoy - dogs are one of the best things in the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      What a cutie! I vote for either Niko or Bandit.

• Like Like x 1
    5. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Bandit! :rockingbanana:

6. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Ooh, he's so CUTE!!!! By coincidence we are getting a Hungarian Vizsla puppy tomorrow (my parents have gone to pick him up today since it is a four hour drive) and after a LONG debate on what to call him we decided to call him Finn. Don't mind if you fancy that name as well. Personally I like Niko the best. You'll love having a dog - there is a strange bond between dogs and humans and you know that no matter what, they will always love you.

And don't worry about the cat. Before we had a dog and two cats, the dog being about the twice the size of the cats, but they were always in charge. The big cat only had to walk in the room for the dog to move away from the fire. Trust me, I doubt the dog will be the boss of the house. :) Have fun and keep us updated about the mischief he gets up to - also if this is your first dog please feel free to ask any questions. Have never had a Husky myself but I know a lot about dogs in general.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      He looks a bit like he has an eye patch so: Pirate.

• Like Like x 1
    8. I had a husky and his name was Niko! so that is my vote..though I like bandit too :)

• Like Like x 2
    9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      How about Balto? He was the husky credited with saving a remote Alaskan town in 1925 by leading the sled dog team that delivered the diphtheria vaccine to the townspeople. I think they made an animated film about it.

Or Nelson? He was one of the sled dogs on the ill-fated Shakleton expedition to Antartica on the ship Endurance. Sadly, all the dogs ended up dying, some eaten by the crew in order to survive, but Nelson was among the last to expire. He was named after Lord Admiral Nelson.

I also like Niko. But whatever you name him, he will be a fine companion. I sooooo want a dog again. Used to have labs.

10. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi,I plum for Morgan,strong name,one of my Cocker Spaniels was called that .
      Chester,Oliver.Henry.Dylan.
      Be interested what name you settle on.mans best friend that's for sure.

11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yes, I agree with Marlene: Definitely let us know what you decide, @Mark McDill. Thanks for letting us weigh in and for the pic.

12. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I've named my dogs Harry Dylan and Ralph I love calling my dogs a human name how about Dave or Roy but I do like Niko it kind of suits him ;)

13. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      This is mine. Siberian Husky too, 13 months old, his name Shady. image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      What a beautiful dog! And I like the name "Shady". It suits him very well.

• Like Like x 1
    15. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      He is a brat by not believing.Want to stay in the company.
      Cry if he is alone.Want to get out, run and walk. Keeps me busy for hours a day, and at night I'm so tired that I don't feel my T anymore...

• Like Like x 4
    16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yep, Shady looks like he's plotting a "table steal" from whatever you are having for dinner. Such a handsome boy.
      And hi, @Cher! Dylan is handsome, too.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I love it! @LadyDi....our resident Historian!! Appreciate you LadyDi!!

As for the name........ I am down with NIKO!!

:rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @jazz @Cassidy @Karen @shan @citigirl13 @LeQuack @Street Spirit @LadyDi @Marlene @Cher69 @ItalianMan @Jeff M.

Wow! You guys are so awesome! I love all these posts; what a bunch of great names and stories with great pictures to boot! We enjoyed them all.

Well, my daughter is head over heels about the dog and I think the dog feels the same way. I worked from home today so I was able to observe him and he's a really good dog. Like any puppy he has lots of energy; however, he seems to mimic the mannerism of the person with him -- so if I'm chilled out he's chilled out, if I'm self-controlled he is self-controlled. He is so much fun, very warm-hearted, and he seems extremely keen to his environment.

One of our two cats is beginning to warm up to him yet has made very clear some very important boundaries (he is very gentle, but wants to play with them); the other cat has taken up residence in the basement and is thanking God the dog is afraid to walk downstairs :LOL:

My vote was to name him Bandit; my boy liked the name Niko (as did I, I could go with either). The names you guys suggested were great; nonetheless, since my daughter has taken to him so well (and vis-a-vis) she got to name him.

World -- meet Steele (eyes of blue) :) I think it's not only because of his steel blue eyes but because his first 'steal' was her heart.

Thanx so much everyone; you are awesome!!

Mark

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Groovy!! I love the name! Steele, cool! (y)

And a very poetic and to your post!! :)

Enjoy your beautiful and fun pup!!!

:rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Harry, Dylan, and Ralph -- I LOVE IT!

21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I think Steele is a fine name, @Mark McDill, and so fitting your daughter should be the one to choose it. Blessings on all in your house, two and four-legged. And the cats will get over it.

And thanks for the shout out, @Jeff M. I love dogs and history, especially when they intersect.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I think Steele has found his forever home have fun with him dogs r just the best even on a wet soggy day in the uk with muddy paw prints and wet dog smell in the kitchen I love my boy ;)

• Like Like x 1
    23. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Cher,we must have your sun down here in Dorset.I love the name Steele,don't his eyes match him to a tea,as we say here.Beautiful dog,can I have him ?lost my 2 Cocker Spaniels Dylan (Dyl ) and Morgan nickname of Moaning Morgan,never understood what that was all about.as no one had upset him.like a grumpy old man.Victor Meldrew Cher but on 4 legs.Our Dyl was so laid back in compararision.My boys were great could do no wrong,my second lot of children.Loved their treats,Got great photos,rather them here .I love people who love animals.
      Must mention Victor Meldrew is a character on Brit T V,For those who don't know,he wasn't happy unless he was moaning .Brilliant laugh that programme,even the re runs.

24. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      image.jpg This is my bailey

• Like Like x 1
    25. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Kenny,yet another beauty,those eyes again,bet he gets lots of attention when your out with him.Do you have good park in your part of London,when I lived south of the river,the local park in South Norwood tried to pen bit of park off to dogs,but it caused such an uproar,with dog owners it was stopped.Hope yours is okay (park ) .
      Dogs need to have good run ,keeps them healthy,and tip top condition. Like the name Bailey too bless ,good choice.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi Marlene, yes I live in north London, we have woods and a big field at the back of us, we visit Dorset a lot as we have a place down there, so both my border collies get plenty of excercise, and they certainly need it, I've always had dogs most of my life, mainly German shepherds, but I will say one thing about collies, if there's anyone thinking of getting one, please do your research, you have to train them properly or you could be in trouble :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      He,s a beauty!

28. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I second that ,his ears and pigment on his nose,all seem to match up.what his back hair like in colour ?like his ears or not ? Mine were Blue Roans,Morgan darker in colour( local breeder Crufts judge on Cockers ) Our Dyl was lighter colour ,we got him 2 months after we got our Morgan,Dyl came from another Crufts judge in Wales,but the boys hit it off from day one as pups ,always in sight of one another ( friends for there lifetime ) so we were sad when we first lost our Morgan to that horrible cancer,then our Dyl just 2 yrs after from a stroke,but Kenny that said they had the best life any dog could wish for,lovely memories not many days there not mentioned in some way. They were family when said and done.
      Where in Dorset do you stay,don't tell me Sandbanks ?which is just 4 miles away.But then no woods there only a beach for a good run for your dogs.New Forest far better for dogs ideal. Our daughter has Orange Roan Cockers Katie and Henry ( nicknamed hooligan Henry since he was a pup,) name stuck and hes now 7 yrs, we can talk dogs all day hey , It's interesting what breeds people go for.?Some breeds do need a certain amount of looking after I agree on that dos and donts. Glad your happy Kenny as well as others on this thread today with theirs. I'm envious.

29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Soo damn adorable!!!! He looks like a bandit :)

30. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012