Neosensory โ€” Bimodal Stimulation Device for Tinnitus: Any Reviews? A Scam or Not?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by TibuJenkins, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      There is an audiologist called Ben Thompson who recently talked about this device:

Neosensory Tinnitus Device & Covid-19...

I don't know this guy. I came across him by chance on YouTube, but he seems honest.

Basically he says that it is still too early to recommend this device, but apparently it is harmless and can be a good addition to a tinnitus therapy like TRT.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      I was extremely disappointed when this guy sponsored and endorsed Julian Cowan Hill and appeared with him in several YouTube videos. We have the same tiresome bromides about TRT, and how habituation, "mindfullness", tinnitus "management", etc. are panaceas and ends-in-themselves with all sorts of crankish, anecdotal, scientifically unsubstantiated recommendations.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My goal is not to promote this guy (whom I don't know, as I said), but in the video he basically explains that the technology is gradually becoming available for tinnitus sufferers (e.g. Lenire, Susan Shore's device and now Neosensory Buzz) and that these kinds of devices should be combined with therapies like TRT and meditation in order to get the most benefits.

Since there is no magic pill to cure tinnitus, it is normal to advise a holistic approach, to get better.

In addition to the mechanical problem in the ears, which science does not yet know how to cure, and which is probably the cause of our tinnitus, there is also the anxiety and depression caused by tinnitus. As long as the depression and anxiety are there, the chances of getting better using this type of device are reduced.

• Like Like x 1
    4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Imagine *making a living* using TRT. I'd rather pay crystal healers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      Basically same as my last update. It has a slight effect so far - specifically immediately post-use. I'm almost two weeks in.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Desperation is exactly why products like this keep popping up. Grab some money while they can, and when it becomes clear it doesn't work, they disappear to the Cayman Islands.

Expect disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      I joined to comment. Neosensory Buzz has been giving me the same "sizzle/hiss" reduction immediately after use that others here have reported. I've been using it 2 weeks. I wouldn't be so dismissive. They're publishing results in a well respected journal: Frontiers in Neuroscience, with their pilot study data to show that bimodal stimulation can also be accomplished with touch (vibration) paired with auditory stimulation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I went to their website and it doesn't look as shady as I expected. Well, Neuromod's website was pretty glossy too. But they do cite Neuromod's bogus statistics, which I don't like. They have completely circumvented the FDA, and they reference media mentions without providing links for context โ€” which I don't like.

There is a big push for IoT (i.e. wearables) in Silicon Valley. There's a gray area between health-related gadgets and actual medical devices which this thing is exploiting โ€” which I don't like.

I am not the new kid on the block here anymore but I have heard enough stories from people who have tried past gadgets of this sort and have been left disillusioned so I don't want to get sucked into that. I will wait for more info, though.

BTW, I am seeing ads for Neosensory Buzz on Facebook. If it doesn't work, I would expect the negative feedback to start to bubble up pretty soon.

• Like Like x 2
    9. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      I want to buy this but it's not available in Canada. CR Neuromodulation suppresses my tinnitus a fair bit. I wonder if you used Neosensory Buzz for a while or in conjunction with CR Neuromodulation, would that make a difference?

Better still, what if this was programmed to run CR Neuromodulation applications in silence; to vibrate on the same frequencies that suppress the patient's tinnitus?

10. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Update: I've noticed that the device helps the most on my worst tinnitus days. It takes the edge off considerably, even just using it for 15 minutes. However, at 4 weeks it's hard to say if I'm noticing a cumulative effect yet. I admit that I paused after week 2, then restarted again a week later. That may be why.

11. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Are you saying it takes the edge off for the entire day with one use? By "edge" do you mean a volume decrease or a change of tone or something?

12. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Quality of the sound, it's sharp and intrusive, more like a sizzle.

13. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I might have to try this thing.

14. fixit

fixit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      Hello Everyone. I've been a lurker on this site for awhile but I decided to create an account to post my results from this device. I just finished using it for 2 months. I would say my tinnitus has decreased by about 30 - 40%. My tinnitus does fluctuate between good days and bad days. The good days have become even better and the sound on my bad days has become less harsh. I would says the ratio between good days and bad days has also improved. I plan on using it for awhile longer to see if I can improve anymore.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      So are you saying your tinnitus is less intrusive now? Or has it gotten worse?

16. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If they are so confident Neosensory Buzz can help, why not do a 60-day return policy?

Most desperate users will lease it, find some minor or placebo effects within the first few weeks, pay for another month only to end up being out of luck, and being out 2 months of money they spent.

I think the company is banking on getting a minimum of one month's lease cost from most people regardless if it works, which probably still at least covers the cost of the device.

17. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This guy is literally an apprentice of Jastreboff, as in he literally talks about going and apprenticing to learn his method...

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Can you describe what your tinnitus was like pre Neosensory Buzz, and post Neosensory Buzz? Quality, volume, intrusiveness changes? Thanks :)

19. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      I wouldn't say "literally." TRT isn't his main thing. He's an Audiologist who uses multiple treatment modalities for the highest success rate. He's more focused on neuroplasticity, meditation and stress reduction while a true cure is being researched. He posts videos on Lenire and Neosensory Buzz and even Susan Shore's device. He's pretty agnostic to treatment modalities is what I'm saying, and usually has a critical eye for things he doesn't think are legitimate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Less intrusive after use. Sorry I realized that sentence was confusing. I was describing my usual tinnitus quality as "sharp and intrusive" and the Neo takes some energy out of it and brings it more to a "sizzle."
      Realistically, because they wouldn't make a penny off of it that way. Their own study data shows that most people don't benefit anymore after the 8-week mark. At the end of the day we're still in a capitalist society. This would be like giving away free tinnitus treatment to thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of people. Doesn't make any sense.

• Like Like x 1
    21. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not a fan of Jastreboff, the mainstream narrative is that TRT can help (even though I think this is changing).

As for PureTinnitus (Ben Thompson), he runs a popular YouTube site with a lot of subscribers. Neosensory Buzz is partnering with him to get their brand out there. Theyโ€™ve given the devices to some other influencers on YouTube. And rightfully so, this device is helping the deaf a lot with situational awareness.

This device has some science behind it, itโ€™s bimodal stimulation and some users on Tinnitus Talk have reported benefiting from it. If I could turn my tinnitus from a piercing ring into a fizzling hiss I would do it in a heart beat. So...

Why the negativity? I understand everyone wants a pure fix/cure but I will take anything that improves my QoL even if itโ€™s a marginal improvement. This device has some great science behind it and itโ€™s creator is an adjunct professor at Stanford. Go watch his TED Talk. Try the device, if it doesnโ€™t work for you, return it. That simple. If it does, keep it. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. I wish had the opportunity to try it. You Europeans and Americans are lucky to be able to take advantage of these cutting edge treatments. The rest of the world has to suffer it out.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    22. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm actually positive on the device, just negative on the guy.

"Try the device, if it doesnโ€™t work for you, return it." I'm going to assume you didn't read the thread since I did exactly this and reported my results, and have urged others to as well.

I take issue with Ben Thompson who is a dedicated TRT practitioner.

23. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If someone apprentices under someone to learn their trade, then yes, they are literally an apprentice. He mentions this in his videos all the time how he went and studied under Jastreboff to learn TRT, and also has it on his LinkedIn page under education:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/benthompsonaud/

24. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree... I have just thrown so much money away on anything that might help. Keep us posted with updates. How much longer will you have the device for or are you considering keeping it?

25. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Keep us posted!

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll throw my hat into the ring and try this thing out. I will order today, and make updates on the whole process.

• Like Like x 4
    27. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I remember seeing that now. Iโ€™m sorry I didnโ€™t make that connection and Iโ€™m sorry you didnโ€™t benefit more from it. Lots more treatments coming though, stay hopeful. I firmly believe something substantive is coming within this decade.

I like this guy, he seems genuine but as with you Iโ€™m not a TRT supporter. I wonโ€™t go into my reasons, I was actually disappointed when I saw him start making videos talking about how he was taking the training courses for it.

• Like Like x 1
    28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No worries - the device actually helped me at first but my reactivity got in the way. I think those of us with reactive tinnitus need to figure that out before sound can be used as a treatment, but it also took my tone from a piercing noise into more of a sizzle, which I thought was promising.

• Like Like x 1
    29. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thatโ€™s what CR Neuromodulation does to mine. Only lasts about 3 minutes though. I would love it if this Neosensory Buzz could extend that. It would make life a LOT more fun.

30. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @fixit's feedback made me want to get this device so I sent an email to Neosensory to know if they ship their device to France but they answered that they only ship to the US for the moment :(

They don't know yet when it will be available in my country.