New Here! Years of Loud Music Through Headphones and Paramotor Noise Resulted in Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ParaMotor, Jun 30, 2020.

1. ParaMotor

ParaMotor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of Loud music through headphones and Paramotor noise
      Hi everyone, my name is Sean and I've been on this site for 3 weeks now so decided to get a profile and start getting involved. It really has helped me with my sudden onset 3 weeks ago. There has been some really positive outcomes which is good to read.

I used to get the odd ringing in my ears every now and then but it would always go away, and after concerts it would be usually over by the next morning.

I have been flying paramotors for a few months before the tinnitus onset with some it would seem ill fitting ear defenders. After one flight I started to develop a slight ringing in one ear which has slowly developed into being quite loud and in my head. It's up and done and flares up at night.

My GP has only been able to give me something to help with my sleep and put me on Mirtazapine which I start this week as can't refer me to ENT due to COVID-19 to rule out anything major. I know it's early days but it's been a very dark time for me and just want to get some decent sleep and learn to live with this. I've always been a bit of a light sleeper so with this now I feel it's another thing to deal with. Anyway that's me and thanks for reading, it's been a massive help reading everyone's posts and experiences and hopes. xx

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Warm welcome to the forum. Yes the initial days are always hard for new sufferers, myself included. Yes, sleep was a big problem for me too and I had to use prescription drugs to sleep. However with what I know now, I should have tried the natural alternatives such as Melatonin. You can also try masking sounds if you haven't yet done so. You can try using sound machine or just your phone with some tinnitus therapy or masking apps. There are plenty of choices. If you don't want to use earbuds, you can use a bluetooth speaker. Hope your condition will improve as it usually will over time, particularly if you stay calm and go about living life as normal as you can. Below is a site with more alternatives for sleep issue. Take good care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @ParaMotor

Welcome to the forum.

Exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. Using headphones at too high a volume going to places where loud music is played: clubs, concerts or working in a noisy environment can also cause it. Flying ParaMotor will produce loud noise and if you have previously experienced rinning in your ears coupled with years of using headphones, has probably caused the ringing/tinnitus to increase. If you are not careful it will get worse even if you use the best hearing protection.

My advice is to stop using headphones/earbuds/headsets immediately and don't even use them at low volume. I recommend giving the ParaMotor flying, a break for a while perhaps 3 months or until the tinnitus reduces. Sorry to sound so sobering but Noise induced tinnitus is not something to take lightly. If you don't reduce your exposure to loud sounds/noise the tinnitus will probably get worse and you may develop hyperacusis if you haven't got it already?

Please click on the links below and read my articles that you might find helpful.
      All the best

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ParaMotor

ParaMotor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of Loud music through headphones and Paramotor noise
      Thanks for the reply's and advice, it really helps. Your Absolutely right Im staying away from the earphones now and giving my ears a break from the noise. I think my biggest challenge at moment is sleeping, I can function during day with T as background noise etc, but my anxiety levels shoot through the roof and T goes nuts for some reason at bed time. I have used my sleeping tablets up and GP has refused anymore but given me something less powerful. Also Mirtazapine. Its a very scary time at moment but knowing there is others out there to reach out too helps massively.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @ParaMotor

Take your time and read my articles and try not to skim through them. Start using sound enrichment at night using a sound machine by the beside. More about this is explained in my posts. This is not a quick fix and you need to keep this in mind. I strongly advise you never to use any type of headphones again even at low volume but the choice is yours.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 1