New Humming Sound Added to the Collection of My Tinnitus Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Guest538, May 17, 2020.

1. Guest538

Guest538 Guest

I had high pitch tinnitus in both ears for more than 5 years, probably for a hearing trauma (playing bass at high volumes). After this much time, I was kind of used to it, and it didn't really bother me that much. I kept using hear protections on noisy places and always used headphones at low volumes, but other than that I was ok.

As in my other post, this February I got a huge spike (maybe?) out of nothing, with these symptoms: really high pitch tinnitus only on the right ear, numbness around the ear (outside and inside), fullness, distorted sound. I did all the checkup and took some cortisone. They found a really mild hearing loss on high frequency on one test, then a week later everything was ok, the again few weeks later a mild hearing loss at low frequency (wtf).

Anyway, going on without thinking about it, some symptoms became really mild (no more numbness or distorted sound, just a little fullness), but the right ear had now a stronger tinnitus. After 1.5 months I started having a new sound, mid frequency, not continuous but more like a telegraph, low volume. I could hear it only at night. I tried to not care, it didn't go away. It's still here but not too bothering.

Fast forward to few days ago, I went to bed and again, a new sound. This time it is a low frequency humming sound, continuous, but pretty intense volume when there's silence, still only on the right ear. It also feels like my inner ear vibrate. During the day, when I move or hear sounds, I do not hear it. The second it gets nearly silent around, tho, I start hearing it instantly. Even more weird, when I plug my ears seems like it disappears. Moreover, the fullness sensation came back. Also, when the wind blows, or for example when I use the towel to dry my head, in my right it feels like someone is using a glass bottle as a flute, blowing air in it.

Long story short, I feel like my right ear is in a bad condition and getting worse and worse fast. I don't know what to nor who should I see. Every doctor check my ear and they say they're good. The hearing test is not perfect but still average for my age. I did an MRI 5 years ago and found nothing. Every doctor I talk to tells me everything looks ok and that there's nothing to do.

So here I am again, getting crazy hearing these new sounds, after I thought I was good to go living my life with my tinnitus. And again, I don't know if something bad is actually happening inside my ear, or if it's a new spike (be it temporary or permanent): pretty bothering but not dangerous.

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's so strange that more and more people talk about this weird tinnitus. I had it in 2016, 2017, 2019, each time around 1-3 weeks. Low, buzzing, humming, idle motor like sound, only in my left ear, awfully low in frequency, but awfully loud in volume. And it felt like that it was actually vibrating and a weird thumping feeling accompanied the sound. When plugged my ear, it stopped. When I talked, it stopped, when I put my hand on my ear very tightly, it stopped. Don't want to give you false hope, but after approx. 2 weeks, it stopped completely. I have no clue of the origin, no idea why it terminated. Went to ENTs, none of them detected anything wrong with my ears.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do you listen to music through headphones or use a headset to play computer games? Do you listen to loud music at home or in the car? Do you work in a noisy environment? Your tinnitus was originally caused by Loud music (exposure to loud noise) This type of tinnitus sometimes increases if the ears are exposed to further loud noise, this is the reason I have asked you these questions as this maybe the cause to the increase in your tinnitus.

Michael

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest538

Guest538 Guest

Nope, I usually am in a quiet environment. If I am in a loud environment I use earplugs. My apple watch send me a notification when it's over 80dbs. Having said that, I still use earphones (Apple Airpods, the classic ones not in-ear) but always low volume and like 90% of the time for calls.

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is the reason I asked if you use headphones. You may not think your Airpods can make your tinnitus worse or cause you to hear additional sounds, since you keep the volume low. I am afraid this is not always the case. If you peruse some of the many posts in this forum, written by members that have Noise induced tinnitus, and continue to use headphones even at low volume, you'll find most of them have had to stop using headphones because their tinnitus has increased. Some people with Noise induced tinnitus are not affected by headphones but many people are. It is your choice but I think this is the cause of your problems and that's the reason I asked if you use headphones, headset and includes earbuds and Airpods.

All the best
      Michael

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Guest538

You have noise induced tinnitus like many people in this forum including me. This type of tinnitus is different from tinnitus caused by an underlying medical problem within the auditory system. The main reasons for this type of tinnitus to get worse are: Using any type of headphones, headset or exposure to loud noise or loud music at clubs and concerts.

Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest538

Guest538 Guest

I always end up disappointed when I try to be positive and have hopes about my tinnitus. But well, I'll see the situation in a few weeks.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Shaqz

Shaqz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have the same type of tinnitus but it isn’t noise induced and it reacts exactly as your explained.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest538

Guest538 Guest

Are you talking about the humming sound or all of my tinnitus in general?
      Also, how do you know it’s not noise related? Just curious.

10. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Had it for 1,5 weeks, seems to have stopped now. Very strange....

11. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you tried or are you planning to ask your ENT or audiologist about this phenomenon? I had this 3 times, stopped each time. I asked 5 doctors and nobody has the vaguest clue about it. I think, because it stops in certain circumstances, must be something physically detectable about it. I thought that it's some special form of Meniere's or is in connection with my migraines with aura, or some very strange stress reaction.

I will never know, and maybe it's a coincidence, but in hindsight I wish I hadn't intervened with piracetams, Betarevin, tympanometry, maybe my UHF tinnitus wouldn't have started.

12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes I posted about hearing a droning sound recently. Oddly enough a couple of other people in my neighborhood said they had started hearing it aswell. I wondered if it was external or not as blocking my ears stopped it. Still don't know but it's not so bad now or I'm just better at ignoring it. I looked up the global hum phenomenon thinking it could be that but not convinced.

13. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      I have now the same situation that you had. The low hum tinnitus behaves exactly like you described. I have had this other times but this time is significantly louder than others.
      Went today to ENT, he says he sees nothing abnormal.
      I wish it settles down on time, and that I can continue living with my usual T sounds, which are hard, but I have learnt to deal with.
      For now I have to relax, but I'm finding it very very hard since this sound is so intrusive.

14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      That’s my regular tinnitus for nearly a decade! Never stopping engine noise that is vibrating inside my head....:(

15. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      This is me for the last 3 days.

I am wanting to jump in front of a train.

I'd been masking at work but not that loudly, and I can't shake it no matter what I do now.