New Product — Helmet Angel — for Cyclists with Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Feb 26, 2019.

1. TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I find that it isn't the noise that spikes my tinnitus after riding, it is the turbulent wind flow, especially on cold days that irritates the heck out of my ear canals, in resulting in a spike. Swimming bothers my ears the same way. My tinnitus resulted from an infection, so the overall damage and sensitivity in my ears is probably somewhat different that those who got tinnitus from noise exposure.

2. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Anyone tried Wind-Blox? I’ve bought some but haven't been out on my bike yet.

3. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I bought a set of these and I don't rate them.

4. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi all,
      I've just come across this thread and I'm interested to know what others think. Before getting (noise induced) tinnitus and hyperacusis I used to ride my road bike a lot, but I've kind of given up since all the ear stuff happened :(

I'd like to get back into it and don't have any ear protection except plugs so I was wondering what you were all thinking about the available products on the market. Are silicon plugs no good?

I'd appreciate any advice thanks.

5. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I actually like the wind noise because it masks the tinnitus while cycling.

6. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      I'm not sure exactly how much difference I'm having in wind reduction from the Helmet Angel. I've been using the Cat-Ears which definitely help and I think the magnetic eye shield definitely creates a shield from wind noise to the upper part of the ear but I'm mostly riding on the hoods in an upright position. If I take the Cat-Ears off in this position then the wind noise is louder.

Do you think the helmet reduces wind noise more in an aggressive riding position?

I do like the Helmet Angel though, it is very comfortable, I really like the magnetic eye shield and it's a great looking helmet (bought the stealth black). So I'm happy that I bought it, just not sure if it's making that much difference for me to the wind noise reduction. I need to go on a few more rides to test.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So, lately I've taken up road biking as the title implies. Now currently, I wear no ear plugs or any sort of deflectors and have began to wonder about wind noise.

I did some research and found a study that pegs 85 decibels at only 10 mph, with higher speeds going past 100. Now at first I thought that was nonsense, but honestly, I can't really hear much but wind when I'm riding, so there must be some truth to this.

Also, last night I rode for probably 5 hours straight and my ears do hurt a little. I've been riding quite often, sometimes close to 100 miles at time. So if I'm doing damage it's probably going to add pretty quickly. I thought I would ask all of you that ride what solutions (if any) that you've come up with.

I've seen SlipStreamz and CatEars, and some folks on the bicycle forums do wear plugs to negate the wind noise. But, I would still like to hear my surroundings as well as being able to converse with my friends when riding in groups. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
      Ross

8. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Just use the Cat ears, they work perfectly.
      Check my previous posts, I even tested it with a dB meter connected to my ear.

9. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I’ve bought windblox but not had a chance to use them yet

10. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi,

I rely on my road bike to commute to work 4 days a week, 10 miles single way. Wind noise bothers me sometimes and I read somewhere it can be dangerously loud (not something I would've guessed, but after reading this I notice it more and it annoys me a lot).

So far I've tried Helmet Angel (sucks) and Cat-Ears Classic "Elvis Sideburns" (so-so, better at low speeds and doesn't work in crosswinds). Right now I rely on Cat-Ears combined with a Buff headscarf over the head and ears and under the helmet. I tend to wear foam earplugs most of the time but when the roads are bad it seems to thump and create a pressure-suction effect that is worse than the actual wind noise. It's better when out of the saddle so it must be down to vibration from riding over rough road surfaces.

What has worked for you? Am I overprotecting?

11. Replika

Replika Guest

Cat-Ears Classic seems to be the best made-for-cycling solution. I tried cycling caps with the flaps covering the ears. They created a low frequency buffeting effect.

I also tried loop earplugs, and AirPods Pro 2. Both pick up a lot of additional wind, even with the Cat-Ears.

This is another bummer though. I do feel that cycling causes some ear fatigue.