New Product — Helmet Angel — for Cyclists with Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Feb 26, 2019.

1. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Hi both. Hope you're keeping well and still enjoying the cycling.

It's been a long time since I posted and intended to feedback on the Helmet Angels that I bought a few months ago. I've only today got back on the bike after many months out of cycling - took up hiking/walking instead which has been great with no negative effect on my T, even on top of windy mountains (wearing skull cap to protect ears).

My opinion on Helmet Angels - they look good and I had nothing but positive compliments from a cycling buddy. However, it felt that the noise levels from the wind seemed either the same or worse - only riding at 11 mph average speed! I kept adjusting them thinking I hadn't put them on correctly, but I believe they were correctly fitted. Have come home from my ride with elevated T, definitely spiked, seems louder than normal, so am a little disheartened. And to make things worse I have recently ordered a brand new bike as I really wanted to get back into the cycling to compliment the walking/hiking.

It looks like I will try the Cat-ears next. Are you still using the Cat-Ears/ Windblox? Have you found any better alternatives? Is there a combination that you use e.g. foam ear plugs+Cat Ears/Windblox or Ear Muffs. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
      Hi,
      the cat ears make a difference between day and night for me, and I cycle almost every day. When I don't wear them the wind noise is definitely too loud for me.
      I ride a gravel racer so I also ride off road, my max speed is around 45 km/h for short periods and it never spiked my tinnitus.
      I also bought wearable speakers to listen to some music when I ride because I don't ever want to use headphones again.
      I bought them very cheap on wish and they work perfectly. When I wear the cat ears I only need to put the volume on 3 and I hear the music perfectly as well as traffic.
      I am not using earplugs, there is no need for that, I tested the decibels wearing the cat ears and as long as you don't ride faster as 45 km/h the wind noise doesn't exceed 80 decibels.
      Please keep on cycling but wear the cat ears on a normal helmet and strap up tight , I had a lot of anxiety in the beginning when starting cycling again and it's the anxiety spiking your tinnitus not the noise, certainly at such low speeds.

FED9035A-D55A-4910-A945-05A1986BBD7F.png

2. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Thanks @gorzakus for the information.

My tinnitus definitely spiked yesterday, and it wasn't even a windy day. Going at the speed that I was, I was quite surprised. I wasn't really anxious at all and really enjoyed being on the bike again. It wasn't until I got home into a quiet room that I realised it had spiked.

I've now ordered a pair of the Classic Cat-Ears, the one's that don't look as good as the newer slim one's. There are a few models that the company sell. The Classic one's are meant to give maximum reduction of wind noise, but I will probably look like Elvis on my new road bike ;-)

I will avoid using earplugs, I think many people on other posts/forums have said the same about them not helping and making things worse. I was considering wearing a headband though that cover the ears. Maybe get a thinner one for summer months when hot. I would think a combination of the Cat-Ears and the headband could reduce the wind noise even more. Will have to test.

I still think I will have to adjust my cycling though, no more going down hills at crazy speeds. I will concentrate more on climbing hills and then taking it slowly when going down hill (although that used to be the fun bit). My average speeds normally would have been around 25 km per hour on a ride, but hitting 55 to 60 km per hour going downhill.

Hopefully this will help, but if not then I will have to maybe look into buying an aero helmet as suggested by @kelpiemsp - It would be great to hear from you if you're still having success with the Giro helmet and has your T levels remained the same?

3. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I use the slim ones, never tried the classic ones actually but the tests I did with the dB meter was with the slim ones so you will have even better results.
      My tinnitus always spikes after doing sports but it always goes down, I think it has to do with the blood flow, a lot of people have this.
      Good luck with the cycling and let us know how it goes!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Thanks @gorzakus

My Tinnitus is still spiked today and normally this only happened when I went out to a bar where it was too loud (no longer go to noisy bars anymore). I'm sure it will settle down again as it was only one bike ride. However, I'm in new territory as my tinnitus spiked significantly 5 months ago and has not returned to baseline. So I'm being extra cautious so as not to make things even worse.

I will feedback again when I've tried the Cat-Ears out.

Enjoy your cycling and thanks again :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Hi @gorzakus hope your're well.

I got the Cat-Ears and tried them out today on a very windy day. The difference between using them and not using them was like night and day. With them on the wind sounded like low rumbling and and at times I didn't hear any wind. But with them off the wind was whistling loudly in my ears.

I've just returned home and I don't think my tinnitus has spiked. Although everytime I keep listening and focusing on the sound, it always seems louder anyway.

I've also gone one step further and ordered the Giro Vanquish helmet that @kelpiemsp recommended in earlier post. I'm hoping that the helmet will help more when in a more aero position on the road bike and the Cat-Ears can help when in an upright position. I think they worked better in the upright position and not so good when my head was leaning forward and low. I'll feedback how I got on with both in a few weeks.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I find that it isn't the noise that spikes my tinnitus after riding, it is the turbulent wind flow, especially on cold days that irritates the heck out of my ear canals, in resulting in a spike. Swimming bothers my ears the same way. My tinnitus resulted from an infection, so the overall damage and sensitivity in my ears is probably somewhat different that those who got tinnitus from noise exposure.

7. COYS
      Alone

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Anyone tried wind blox? I’ve boight some but have t been out on my bike yet

8. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Yes the cat ears work great for me as well, couldn't ride without them.
      What you say is correct when you are in race position tucked in then you have more noise but I rarely sit that way so i don't have that problem.
      Please let me know how the helmet is working for you.
      Take care

• Like Like x 1
    9. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I bought a set of these and I don't rate them.