New Tinnitus Tones Exacerbated from Doing Valsalva Maneuver

Discussion in 'Support' started by Freerunner, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      Hi Guys,

My right ear has been muffed after a dog barked next to it a month ago. So I tried yesterday doing a Valsalva maneuver. Needless to say it did not help me, as I reckon now that the muffed hearing is due to the loud exposure.

I tried doing it gently and slowly. When I felt pressure, I immediately stopped. My right eardrum felt pain for a moment but this passed. My ears did not pop at all.

However, I experienced a big spike shortly after. At that time I had a hissing tone which changed through the day to ringing and went back again to hissing when I wake up. I also have a dog whistle which was audible only for several hours a day.

The ringing and hissing has now subsided after I slept. However I think I exacerbated my hyperacusis a bit and also the whistle tone, as it is now constant and loud and I also have another whistling sound, which I heard for first time the day before the Valsalva maneuver. It lasted for an hour and it stopped but now I can hear it loud and constant.

My right ear is still muffed but it has much more pressure in than before. I also feel the air flow and my voice tingle my ear.

Can someone provide some insights on what may have happened? Did I permanently worsen my symptoms... I can deal somehow with the ear pressure but the new constant tones are too much for me to handle at the moment... Is there a chance that these new tones subside? Has anyone else had similar experience?

I have never done the Valsalva before and one thing is for sure - I will not do it ever again.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      I just went to the ENT. She said my eardrums looked fine - not infected or perforated.

She gave me a prescription for nasal spray called Avamys. Here is a link for it -

https://www.nps.org.au/medicine-finder/avamys-nasal-spray

I am hesitant whether to take it or not, as it is a steroid. I think I messed up bad. My ear is now in pain and the new tones are louder than ever...

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Freerunner.

Try not to dwell on the Valsalva as tinnitus can change and add sounds for no reason.

This time of year (autumn), and allergies, can spike tinnitus caused by extra mucus and cold weather, wind in ears.

Nasal sprays can help clear your Eustation tubes. And it is always worth putting olive oil drops in your ears to keep your ears clear from earwax.

Love,
      Glynis