New to the Dreaded Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by kayla, Feb 27, 2015.

1. kayla
      Chatty

kayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/01/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      still trying to find out
      hi any advice would be grate.

6 weeks ago roughly i started getting the dreaded tinnitus.started at night just a humming in one ear now its 24 7 and in both ears and 3 or four dfferent noises i can hear.i am hardly sleeping and feeling very down and stressed about it.i also have bad ear ache in both ears and a kind of full heavy feeling in both ears.ive had a cold for about 2 weeks which is proberly not helping.

i havnt been exposed to any loud music.

i went to the doctors yesterday and all she said was that she cant see any infection or any build up of wax just that both ear drum were dull??? whatever that means she did not explain

she was very unsympathetic said it may go may not.

i had to ask myself to be referred to the ent clincic.

if anyone has any advice of what be causing it and what they can do at ent clinic i would be so grateful the thought of having this for the rest of my life makes me want to not have a very long life as dramatic as that sounds id rather go threw both my labours again than suffer this 24 7.

i have also been back to the docs today a diferent one who was amazing he has given me a corse of antibiotics im praying this gets rid of it not sure how il cope otherwise xx

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      You mention a cold - A cold often leads to big spikes in T, but they are only temporary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Agree usually people do state that a cold spikes their T. But after the cold is resolved usually the T goes back down.

4. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      A cold will put your body in a tense/agitated/sick state. My last one lasted two weeks. Usually after a cold I cant hear for a week or two due to what I think is the blocking of the Eustachian tube. Both of these issues will make T spike for me . When I went to see my ENT about my T getting worst he told me to go get some exercise. The only thing he didn't know is that I was already exercising. Hopefully it goes away on its own, but colds definitely makes it worst.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kayla
      Chatty

kayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/01/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      still trying to find out
      thankyou
      yes im hoping the cold has made it worse and the ear infection started it, am praying anyway
      although after reading so much on here its looking pretty possible i could be stuck with this for life bad times!!

6. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many people improve. Even if you are, you will adapt to it and habituate so it seems like just a normal background noise. Try to stay calm and sty positive, as negative thoughts make T worse.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kayla
      Chatty

kayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/01/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      still trying to find out
      what does habitiate mean concerning the tinnitus?
      thanks

8. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's quite an open term. But pretty much that it no longer bothers you and your life is back to normal. For example, you hear the sound of your fridge etc but take no notice. With time, this will be the same with T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kayla
      Chatty

kayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/01/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      still trying to find out
      oh i see thanks cant wait for that day :p

10. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It may not take you long at all! It took me 2 months to start with. But mines got worse and I'm not sure why, hopefully just a spike!

11. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Habituation will happen over time for most people. If you keep positive and relax, and keep living your life normally, then habituation will happen faster. You may want to check out the success stories to see how people get to the state of habituation. All the best.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kayla
      Chatty

kayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/01/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      still trying to find out
      thnks billie i have been reading the success stories they are very much given me hope x