New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      We have agreement with that - Levine and others for a longtime have discuss modulation. I once posted 80%, and someone posted back no way. So I had to provide a source - link. Maybe way back on this thread. What I'm questioning which I didn't word well, by saying "beyond all that" is that those with a physical neck injury condition may need to be careful with her device.

2. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So is Susan Shore's device the only hope for sufferers like me that can modulate their tinnitus with jaw movements? As I'm finding it to be unbearable, and really wanting some relief. Or will drugs like FX-332 and others help with that as well?

Also suffering with what I suspect to be hyperacusis, although I'm not sure on that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I think that it is going to depend on how the tinnitus came on about.

I think that if you have tinnitus caused by issues like nerve ends and synapses and you took medicine like PIPE-505 then you would gain relief for tinnitus because you are fixing the underlying cause.

4. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      You can have cochlear damage and still be able to modulate your tinnitus with your neck or jaw. 80% of sufferers experience this. So FX-322, OTO-413, and others will still help if it's noise-induced.

You say you have hyperacusis, which is almost always as a result of acoustic trauma that disconnects hair cells and synapses, so don't fret my friend.

5. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I didn't see the webinar so I can't comment directly on that, but the UMich team not having any further details to publish until the end of 2021 is very disappointing.

I thought she had agreed to do an interview with Tinnitus Talk?

6. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      (2013) Famous last words.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think I have hyperacusis, or something was causing my ears to generate a pulsing-ringing sound in response to my computer last night, which does make me fret, as these drugs are still years away from release, and could be very expensive. I don't know. I just want this hell to end.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I wouldn’t be worried about the treatments not working for you is all I meant.

That’s called reactive tinnitus or sound distortions, a common symptom of hyperacusis. It’s most likely due to cochlear inflammation. I am currently dealing with the same hell.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Summary:
      • Even minor cochlear damage can cause brain changes leading to tinnitus
      • Study focuses on the DCN (dorsal cochlea nucleus)
      • Discusses connections between somatosensory system to the DCN - major role in the generation of tinnitus
      • Mentions fusiform cell hyperactivity, along with other brain parts such as the inferior coliculus as contributors to tinnitus
      • Explains increased spontaneous firing rate of neurons in tinnitus, which is what causes a LOT of noise!
      • Brief explanation of signal timing
      • Results of first study showed meaningful reductions in distress and loudness
      • Reiterated their 2nd trial to finish in 2021 now due to COVID-19
      • Increased firing rate in the bush cells contribute to hyperacusis

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I think that this can sum up why the work on the device is taking tonnes longer than the time it is taking to get the hearing medicines out. It is incredibly interesting research, however I think that this tends to tell the story of why progress with the device has taken so long and why university orientated projects can take so much longer to complete than private sector projects.

I'm pretty positive that this also indicates that if you do deal with the underlying issues it is likely to resolve the things which lead to tinnitus too.

• Like Like x 2
    11. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Interesting, what are bush cells? And would those stop firing so rapidly if we restored input to the cochlea by regenerating hair cells and synapses? In other words, would hyperacusis be cured by ceasing the excessive neuronal firing?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wondering the same thing. Google only gives me stuff about George W. Bush's views on stem cells.

• Funny Funny x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      "Meaningful reductions in distress and loudness"?

Let's have some hard numbers regarding the number of trials involving how many participants, how many experienced what percentages of permanent reduction, whether any actually had it completely go away, etc.

Their vague rhetoric is very suspiciously similar to Lenire's.

If they had a very impressive success rate, why can't they take their current data to the FDA and have it approved?

In any event, we might as well forget about them until the end of 2021 (and I'm no longer buying their alibis about these seemingly endless delays).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Maybe they meant bushy cell? Apparently located in the cochlear nucleus. If this is the case then it confirms that hyperacusis is the result of synaptopathy.

[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushy_cell[/URL]

• Like Like x 2
    15. Anthonyr
      Wtf

Anthonyr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Neurons misfiring/hyperactivity is definitely what causes mine. I also have visual snow and BFS. My whole body is basically misfiring and is out of sync. I never used headphones or had noise induced tinnitus. Just spontaneously came on one day after having visual snow.

16. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Same here. I got visual snow syndrome one month into hyperacusis. Definitely has to do with overfiring neurons that somehow crossed into the eyes as well, probably something to do with the thalamus. Makes me wonder if curing tinnitus will cure my visual snow syndrome as well.

17. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I'm fairly sure that random misfiring plays part in mine. While I don't rule out noise damage and some hearing loss, mine mostly came about after severe anxiety and stress. With that came extreme exhaustion and increased ans permanent visual snow syndrome symptoms (which would usually only be noticeable now and then when tired and/or stressed).

Seems unlikely that they're not all related in a way, regardless of the cause. Hope that some of the things in development will help us out.

18. Anthonyr
      Wtf

Anthonyr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I read there was a user on here that took part in the Minnesota trial which targets the thalamus. Both his tinnitus and visual snow were reduced or disappeared. So, sounds like you could be right.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I heard a rumor that Dr. Shore and one of her colleagues have filed for a patent on this device so that makes me think at least SOMEbody has a lot of confidence that it’s going to work!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      It wouldn't surprise me if this was why things have gone quiet in relation to Dr. Shore's device. I'd expect that they might consider a post phase 2 release if their device meets the standards of the FDA and they get approval from the FDA for compassionate use/right to try.

21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      More than a rumour.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/susan-shore

• Like Like x 1
    22. davidmp

davidmp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss / Possible Trauma in concert
      Dr. Shore is taking all precautions for the device to be safe and effective. I have a good feeling about her work.

While I have a bad feeling about Lenire and their PowerPoint propaganda.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

She’s filed patents on the device as far back as 2014. The most current patent application shows as being granted this year, but filed in 2017.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/susan-shore

24. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Or Susan Shore is looking forward to being a patent troll and suing Lenire while never coming to market with her device.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    25. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To GoatSheep:

Thanks very much - could this possibly portend the not-too-distant availability through audiologists?

26. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

• Winner Winner x 1
    27. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      The problem with this area is that there are going to be many people who will be putting out basically what will be marketing propaganda and the like to try and drum up support for their treatment. Then there are also those who will put out hatchet job stuff on medicine like FX-322 as we saw in that article a few weeks ago which was basically criticising FX-322 and also Frequency Therapeutics.

This is no doubt what we were seeing with Lenire with this article, as they are trying to attempt to make out it is good, based on verified research, when really it has been conducted internally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I think Dr. Shore's patents are already holding back the effectiveness of Lenire. None of the Lenire timings that I have seen in their literature are the same as the timings published by Dr. Shore that were shown to have a positive effect on tinnitus. The only reason I can think of that Neuromod would not use timings similar to Dr. Shore's are the patents.

• Like Like x 1
    29. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This would make sense since Dr. Shore could not necessarily patent the device because the device is too generic but she definitely could patent the signal timings because these are the specific part of her treatment and as a result meet the requirement of having unique and specific elements of something to get patented.

This definitely does prohibit Lenire from being able to offer the same signal timings in their device due to these being exclusively Dr. Shore’s. Therefore this can mean that if Dr. Shore’s signals are a lot more assistive and relevant to Lenire’s, then there tends to be a good chance that she will have a better treatment option available.

I therefore wouldn’t be surprised if Lenire couldn’t get their device approved in the US because of the fact that it wouldn’t pass FDA approval with its operation and I also reckon that Dr. Shore’s device definitely will be shown to be superior to Lenire.

30. wwtsai
      Assassinator

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      If Dr. Shore's timings are effective, it's just unfortunate for tinnitus sufferers that the timings can't be incorporated into a device that's already released like Lenire. I get why from a financial and IP perspective, but it could potentially reduce the time it'd take to get a consistently working treatment out to us.

• Agree Agree x 1