New Year Fireworks (Firecrackers)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Don't know about you folks but when the New Year arrives at 12 am on 1st January, I'll be indoors for sure.

Either with a small drink in hand or more likely hiding under the duvet as the fireworks go off around me outside, hoping the old hair cells can tough it out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hearing protection is a must even indoors I feel like.... If someone sets off a big one right next to your house it's gonna be LOUD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I will be having my 4 year old and 4 month old grandsons sleeping over and will start the New Year off well with them.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I will be watching the fireworks in London.. on my tv.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you own Peltor muffs and/or good ear plugs?

On New Year's Eve, could you drive to some place where there are few people, and come home at 2 am?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm hoping indoors won't reach dangerous levels.

7. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      If the windows are shut I think your pretty safe..

• Like Like x 1
    8. LisaCuddy

LisaCuddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and Stress
      It is making me nervous. People have been throwing fireworks all day already, just some random bangs. I hate it.
      I hope I am safe at home.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It ought to be safe as long as nobody is shooting those fireworks right outside of your window. My neighbour did this in 2010. I hope he won't try doing it this year.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    10. LisaCuddy

LisaCuddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and Stress
      I live on the first floor, I don't think that someone would shoot them off that close to the house so it could be directly at my window, right? I mean only one who could is my neighbour donwstairs, and it would be quite stupid for him to do it that close to the house? there is a balcony right above me, some half metre to the side, and he won't risk hitting that, will he? Do these things fly in a vertical or can they fly sideways? I really lost all trust in people's common sense lately.

11. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      That’s really inconsiderate, I hope you let him know that!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know.

If they shoot that firework 20 meters from the house and it will still sound loud to you. If they are more than 100 meters away, it ought to be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      They start the fireworks where I live from 11 pm till 2 am and it is very beautiful to watch. I go out with ear plugs and sip my red wine and just let the mind drift into fantasy land :)

• Like Like x 1
    14. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree, the concussive force from an explosion is a much different animal than your typical loud noise, and can easy penetrate your home if it's nearby, especially if you don't have VERY good insulation and high quality dual or triple pane windows. Why take the risk? Just throw on some protection, it's only one day out of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      My wife accused me of being antisocial for not planning to take our kids to see the New Years fireworks.

Interestingly I found out recently she gets high tone T sometimes and sometimes low, yet does not care one bit. She says mine is all in my head, which I guess is technically correct. Hah.
      I wonder if she got H if she would change her opinion.
      Anyway planning to stay as far from fireworks as possible.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ask her to imagine the sound being louder than the last time she heard it. Surely there exists a volume level above which she would begin getting uncomfortable.
      :LOL:

17. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Not sure. I think she’s just one of those who isn’t bothered. I know my hearing is a lot better than hers.

18. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I see this is an old post. First New Year's Eve with tinnitus. So, it's a given that I'm not going anywhere outside. Right now I'm in the suburbs, I guess no organized fireworks will be taking place, but in the neighborhood, I'm pretty sure that somewhere will be fireworks and firecrackers. Normally, it's not very close to my home and I don't remember being it too loud. So, I guess, indoors with earmuffs/plugs, it should be ok, right?

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Constant ringing recent, hum few years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unwanted tests by Incompetent NHS hospital staff
      Depends where you live. It’s a nightmare for me. Pub a door away from me has been taken over by selfish %{^*]+. And on all these type of occasions they ship in a very loud DJ and fireworks are the norm. The loudest I’ve ever heard last time. There are loads of fireworks round here but nothing like theirs were. Tonight is advertised again with another DJ and till after 1 am. I tried these expensive ear plugs on Xmas eve and it made no difference. Was horrendous evening. The bass drives me insane and no earplugs have been invented that stops that annoyance for 5 hours. Whatever I use will not stop the bass banging in my head. Tonight I will have to vacate my premises or it will be like torture. The thumping in the head stays long after they stop and gone 2-3am, despite being advertised usually till 1. I still suffer for days afterwards. Still suffering from the Xmas Eve one but I really should’ve gone out.

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      One exception or particular case I am thankful for crappy snowy weather.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hear hear! My fellow Ontarian! Windy cold with scattered flurries = everybody sitting at home...
      And a Happy New Year to you Pete! Here's to better days!

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Yikes! Indoors with earplugs and muffs... all I would hear is my tinnitus blaring in my head!

I think indoors would be fine, fireworks or no... unless someone lives in a grass hut? Lol

How many people will get tinnitus? How many people will be the victim of a drunk driver?

No alcohol or drugs for me ever... my brain is messed up enough... why add that to it?

Staying in is fine with me!

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can assure you it was horrendous. Fireworks started at around 16.00 here sporadically, I was going crazy because of the earplugs and the tinnitus, so I took them out when I really couldn't take it anymore , and put them back around midnight for an other 1,5 hour. My family went out of the house to see the fireworks. I did not. They said it was not that loud. I thought it was. I could only persuade my sibling to put on earmuffs.

This evening was all around horrible. Everyone was excited about the new year and what it holds for them, I spent the entire time internally freaking out about the shrillness of the freaking sound; because of the foam earplugs, I could barely communicate properly, and I needed to surpress the urge to cry or be negative for the sake of my family. I just fucking hate Tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Have you tried half foam earplugs?

We went to a restaurant and with my “flat response” musicians earplugs... I still couldn’t hear anyone... Just the tinnitus and these are only 10db filters.

I need a 5 dB earplug for normal situations... actually I’ve been using earbuds with silicone tips in the car and house, which give just enough that I don’t get pain from the hyperacusis.

Hang in there!

25. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you, I'm trying.

For other stuff, I use silicon plugs. Alpine Party Plugs. I can hear the outside world just fine with them, but at the same time, they seem to me not giving enough protection. They don't seem to reduce much. They have an SNR 19 rating, which is not much.

26. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Yesterday I was outside and someone set off an m80 at around 3600ft away or 1100 meters (.69 miles). I know exactly where it came from.

I jumped right out of my pants to be honest. It sounded so loud... Yet my ears didn't feel assaulted, no rumble in the ears.

I guess it helps to note that there is a river between the two points and lots of buildings.

Now I'm thinking, could it possibly have caused damage?