Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TommyP96, Jan 13, 2018.

1. TommyP96

TommyP96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 17th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced? Cotton buds?
      So on December 17th 2017 I woke up with ringing in my right ear. Didn’t think much of it at first as I thought it would go away, how wrong I was. Now it’s January 13th and it’s still here, however much has changed. I’ve been to an ENT where I had a hearing test which came back with no reported hearing loss.

In fact he described my hearing as phenomenal, however, he said my eardrum looked red and slightly swollen. He said, it was as if I’d been putting something in my ear that may have irritated it, which brings me back to December the 16th where I stupidly put cotton buds in my ear trying to clear out earwax.

Other than that he didn’t really seem worried so I’ve tried to stay calm since! In terms of the ringing, it has decreased in volume a lot since December and I’m starting to feel myself again. My ears are also itching now and again so whether that is in relation to the redness and swelling of my eardrum I don’t know. I don’t really know if it’s going to be a long term thing but to be honest I’m able to ignore the ringing every now and again and forget about it. I used a app from my iPad throughout December to sleep but am able to sleep without the app now which is great! If anyone can give me any advice on anything that would be great!

P.s. mine is mostly my right ear although I’ve heard noises coming from my left, it’s a high pitched hissing sort of noise.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is a very good sign. My guess is that you will hear silence again 3-6 months after onset.

I am surprised your ENT hasn't suggested any treatment for that irritation problem. You might want to see another doctor.

Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (24 tips spread over three posts) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past 11 months
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...itus-recently-this-info-will-be-useful.25741/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TommyP96

TommyP96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 17th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for getting back to me. You really think so? I’d love to hear silence again within that time period but am not going to get my hopes up. Well he referred me to a tinnitus clinic and said about getting otomize for the redness/swelling? If I’m honest though I’m scared about making the ringing louder. Thanks I will check it out!

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't see otomize listed in
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf
      You've had T for less than a month, and you have already experienced considerable fading. Few people had reported recovering that fast. This must mean that you hurt your ears less than an average person here, so your outlook is probably better than it is for most people here.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TommyP96

TommyP96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 17th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I would say the volume has decreased by a good 60-70% within a 3 week period. I struggle to notice the noise during the day, the only time I can hear it is at night. But even then it’s got to a point whereby it doesn’t affect my sleep. Making sure I stay calm has been the key though. Taking my mind off of the noise has helped so much and making sure I didn’t let it get to me like I know it can. I am currently avoiding nightclubs and noisy places and making sure I protect my ears as much as possible. Can anyone recommend any good ear plugs or ear muffs I can buy?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TommyP96

TommyP96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 17th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just to update, I’m pretty sure it’s gone! I woke up today which is the 4th Feb with absolutely no noise coming from both ears! Whether this is just a temporary thing I suppose I will find out but for the minute it’s gone.

7. Tom88

Tom88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      That’s great! I hope this is permanent for you.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TommyP96

TommyP96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 17th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately not, it returned today when I woke up. Very low in volume though, during the day I don't hear it, only when I'm lying down at night. I don't get why and how it can just disappear like that for a couple of days and then come back? very odd.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TommyP96

TommyP96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 17th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know if anyone can help me. Since I've had this noise I've noticed how every time I move my jaw I hear clicking/ popping noises in both my right and left ears (the ringing is only in the right ear now). Also I played football the other night and after I finished I got home and my ear (right) was really hot, felt full up and ringing was twice the volume. I went to bed and woke up and it was back to normal. Just wondering if anyone knows what could've caused this?