Noise-Induced Hyperacusis and "Reactive" / Sound-Sensitive Tinnitus 80% Gone

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Coffeebean, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      These seem to be two separate hypotheses, as muscles spasms in the case of missing limbs doesn't seem a defense mechanism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I was thinking the same exact thing, maybe a peripheral defense mechanism becomes central over time?

How would tensing muscles help a recent amputee, prevent blood loss?

not sure...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Manny
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      @Contrast Also, another thing, IF this hypothesis is true it would be interesting to think about why TTTS occurs more often in people who already have aural damage, really. Is it simply because the brain is now more aware that loud noise can damage? Or, is it perhaps an indication that people with damage are more susceptible to further damage than normal people are to damage of an equal quantity? Interesting to think about and try to examine using Occam's Razor.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      My ENT told me it's all in my head bruh....

5. Manny
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      I get that you're being sarcastic or whatever but literally you need to just ignore ENTs when they say idiotic sh!t like that, they're literally clueless arrogant bastards with degrees, is all, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      @Coffeebean I've found this thread helpful in the past when I was experiencing hearing distortion, and that issue subsided.
      However I have overprotected my hearing a little too much in the past month and now I seem to have a flaring up of hyperacusis in my right ear, that is sensitive to many mid range frequencies below 1000Hz that I can actually identify on a piano. The outside traffic, even at less than 35db from here, is buzzing at those frequencies in my right ear like a mosquito... As a musician this is a bit distressing. So I would like to ask you a question about how you manipulated the pink noise though, and what model of headphones you used? Did you use narrow EQ notches to increase or decrease specific frequencies that you were overly sensitive to you? I might try something like this in combination with increasing general environmental noise exposure if my current problem does not subside before long.

I'm mostly curious about your method, but if you have time to check my thread I would appreciate it as well- no worries if you don't have time though. Thank you for the help and the hope you've been able to provide already
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...—-sounds-like-bees-buzzing.36302/#post-462283

7. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      Did you suffer many setbacks? And were they significant? Early last week, I was starting to notice improvements in my hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus. Tinnitus seemed to be reacting less. And I seemed less sensitive to sounds. For example watching TV and my gf's voice were no longer bothering me. Then last Wednesday I had an audiologist appt. She did a hearing test followed by an LDL test. She let things get too loud during the LDL test. I could feel it immediately. And ever since my hyperacusis has been back to full force and so has the reactive tinnitus. You ever experience anything like this? I feel so angry and discouraged that I missed my shot at healing and I now have to start all over again.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Did you tell the audiogist you had hyperacusis prior to the test? Just curious, and please describe exactly what they did in the LDL part... is that where they see what volumes hurt?

Some people here say the LDL test is fine and it’s the acoustic reflex test that’s the problem.

Thanks in advance for your response, and sorry you got to start again.
      It should get better, I hope not so slow this time. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      Yes, she knew I had Hyperacusis prior to hearing test. I had told her it was improving though, and it was.

Yes, but this particular audiologist had me use specific vocab for every sound she fed. For example: "Very soft", "soft", "comfortable", "comfortable but slightly loud", etc... I would get to "uncomfortably loud" and she would still increase the volume. I feel like having to use this script through me off. The previous audiologist I saw seemed more gentle and would just slowly increase the volume until I said "too loud."

She did do one short test in my right ear where she stuck this thing in there and it played a low tone and filled my ear with pressure. Not sure if that is the acoustic reflex test. She only did it in my right ear though and I find that H is bad now in both ears. That test was very uncomfortable tho. And only lasted a few seconds.

I would also like to note that directly prior to the LDL test she did a standard audiogram hearing test. I believe this may have also played a role because during the audiogram, the sounds were very faint so I was straining my ears to listen very intensely. I feel this may have made my ears more susceptible to loud noise exposure because it is a drastic switch going from faint sounds to loud ones up to 90 db in the LDL test. And my ears probably did not get a chance to adapt from their state of listening very intently.

Thank you. I am so frustrated and angry. I had a few days of relief and hope, and it was stolen from me. Hope my ears can forgive me and give me another chance.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi @Phat Tuna,

This test sounds like a tympanogram. Acoustic reflex is longer with more beeps. Did you have hyperacusis in your right ear prior to the tympanogram? My hyperacusis came on a few days after this test. I really do believe it is related.

11. Capstan

Capstan Guest

@Coffeebean - it's interesting you included mimic the external sound. I sometimes experience this phenomenon. Mine has mimicked beeps, bells and wind. I have no idea why. I recently started having "reactive tinnitus" - is this a phenomenon that occasionally occurs with it?

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      My H has faded to very manageable levels. For the most part, I'd say my noise tolerance is now just a bit below normal. I do believe over-activity of the tympani muscle and H are extremely correlated and they were for me and still are. If I am exposed to a very lout sharp sound, it will cause my tympani muscle to react and I will be left will reactive tinnitus and/or hyperacusis that will take a couple weeks to fade back away.

13. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      How long did it take for your hyperacusis in all? After 3 months my hyperacusis is finally 90% back to normal and most everyday noises aren't an issue for including helicopters/planes overhead and traffic when out. Fans etc/white noises sources no longer bothering me. I have been virtually asymptomatic cor the past 2-3 weeks.

The one thing that still triggers my H and TTTS symptoms however is artificial audio sources in particular audio from my laptop speakers. It's truly bizarre - after like 15-20 mins my forehead will tingle and feel really tight and kinda numb. It's not even 'loud' per se but the audio from my laptop has a sort of 'scratchy' quality to it that just seems to really aggravate my ears. Hoping that this will eventually go away - after all, it's not acutely painful nor does it trigger burning anymore just this really uncomfortable cluster of TTTS symptoms. Just worried that this will remain permanent. Feels like some obscure atypical variant of hyperacusis. I wonder if it could be due to damage at a specific frequency that is amplified through laptop speakers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @serendipity1996 -- That sounds a lot like the symptoms I get when I'm exposed to EMFs. I've reduced these symptoms by using a grounding pad with my laptop. I also only use the laptop when it's NOT plugged in. Using just battery power reduces EMFs by as much as 80%. Wifi is also out for me (really feel it in my hands); much higher EMFs than when using an ethernet cord. -- I'm planning on getting a keyboard and mouse that I plug into my laptop, which supposedly would reduce EMFs another 80% or so.

Whether or not EMFs are causing your symptoms, it would be good for anybody (especially those with ear issues) to reduce exposure as much as possible. Just like with many people who've exposed their ears to loud noises for years, they never thought it was causing damage. Until it finally caught up with them. I think it's the same with EMFs (which have already been widely reported to cause tinnitus/ear issues). Some threads on this forum have pinpointed EMFs from trucks with all the high-tech gizmos, smart meters, etc. as the cause of their tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    15. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Idk. I use my laptop and phone quite a lot and otherwise experience no other issues - it's literally just when I, say, watch something on YouTube/listen to music or try to watch a TV show.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      About 6 months. I'm not completely out of the woods yet. I'm still susceptible to spikes if I'm not careful. But it's a night and day difference how I am now compared to how I was even 2 months ago.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
    18. Nav J

Nav J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD? Clogged Left Ear, felt like under water.
      I have the same symtoms as you. My Tinnitus started 5 weeks ago on March 28, however since January 18 to March 28 I had ear fullness which lasted two days and then for the 1.5 month I had my ear twitch to loud sounds and no Tinnitus, which seem like I have TTTS symptoms that are triggered by phone speakers, laptop speaker. However I noticed that the phone speaker can be really loud when it's placed closed to you, and the way these speakers are designed is interesting, partially they are directing all the sound towards one direction and that's why it seems more noticible.

Doing some research I believe my TTTS is caused by certain muscles in my neck, back because when I clinch my neck it will change my Tinnitus sound from White noise (The one when you change the TV to those channels with wrong source, and it has black and white grains) to High Pitch EEEEEE sound, when I un-clinch my neck it's back to the white noise. So it's related and makes sense as I stand my Tinnitus isn't as bad, when I sit it gets louder, and when I lay down it's the loudest. This is probably due to different muscles being activated in different settings.

• Like Like x 2
    19. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there,

You did this all on your own? I have tinnitus for the first time ever in my life I’ve been devastated, also sound sensitivity. I hear pink noise is good for that. I downloaded an app, do you suggest I sleep with it on?

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coffeebean

Coffeebean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi all,

I have not been visiting this forum much anymore, my apologies. I have basically been going on with life, and I often find it best not really to think about this chapter of my life anymore. But still I try to visit from time to time, in the hope that I can help others. So I will try to answer as best I can the questions recently posted here. I am still doing very well, my symptoms are practically gone (only very mild sound sensitivity and tinnitus, barely noticeable).

- @TLion The TTTS thing still popped up from time to time, but now that I think of it I have not really had this symptom for many months. I still strongly believe that this is related mostly to stress/anxiety/fear regarding sound. As far as I am aware, TTTS is generally harmless and will improve a lot when other symptoms improve and when anxiety drops.

- @Ace I did not manipulate the pink noise much, but I made sure to use high quality pink noise covering all frequencies and I used open-ear headphones with a full frequency response (from 20Hz to 20.000Hz, i.e. the full range of human hearing). It was a Sennheiser headphone, but I would need to check the exact type. I think in general, it is just important to continue to exposure your ears to a variety of sounds within safe levels, of varying frequencies, intensities etc. and to slowly build it up.

- @Phat Tuna I did experience some set backs from time to time, and overall it was sometimes difficult to really notice progress because it was so slow. It helps to have your LDLs checked from time to time.

- @Capstan I suppose you could call it 'reactive tinnitus' but that term is also used to simply describe tinnitus that gets louder from time to time due to sound exposure. In any case, I had the weird phenomenon that I heard a sort of chiming sounds that overlayed the actual sound, but it is much better now. I still hear it on rare occasions with certain static noise sources, but it does not bother me.

- @serendipity1996 I suppose it took me about 1,5 years to get back to normal. I had to deal with the hyperacusis, reactive tinnitus, and feelings of depression, anxiety and fear that related to it.

- @Tara Lyons I did most of it on my own. I visited an audiologist from time to time for the LDL tests and for some general tips etc., but they did not really offer a full treatment program. Regarding your question, I believe it is generally recommended to use the pink noise during the day, but to have some relaxing ambient sounds at night. Personally, I did not really use much sound enrichment at night, it made my ears feel fatigued the next day.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. mylesm

mylesm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown

Hey.
      That was an inspiring story. Were there times when the hyperacusis got worse and then better?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    22. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Coffeebean

It is good to see you back and always interesting to read what you have to say. I am pleased that you have made substantial progress and able to get on with your life.

A wonderful achievement and I wish you the very best for the future.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    23. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hyperacusis most certainly gets aggravated by microtraumas. Over time, your threshold to sustain these traumas will increase along with reactive tinnitus thresholds IME.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      1.5 years? OMG...
      The healing process was that long?

25. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hello, Tara!

I'm afraid yes, the healing process is really long. At the moment I am 7 months in with my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Good thing is that I almost can't hear my tinnitus when I'm outside. I think my hyperacusis is gone or almost gone because I don't feel that everyday noise is louder than it actually is but I still feel pain when something is loud enough to cause it (pain in the jaw and teeth and some muscle spasms allover the face and neck). I can hear my tinnitus when I'm at home in a quiet room. I'm so happy that I've reached the stage when I can mask it with TV or radio when I'm at home. When I'm outside I can hear my tinnitus when I use earplugs and if I walk without them I usually don't hear it but feel pain quite often when I'm near traffic or in a really noisy mall depending on what song is being played on the radio. So yeah, it's a long ride, I guess. I hope that soon I will be halfway there. I am so tired of sleeping with masking sounds. I usually use fireplace sounds.

I wish you full recovery and lots of patience.

• Like Like x 4
    26. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for writing! Is there anything special you have done for this? I’ve been using ear plugs for a few days at work to see if it helps, mine seems to be aggravated by noise.

I know I run the risk of increasing my sound sensitive but from what I told that wouldn’t happen right away. People’s voices still make me cringe, I've had to leave/wanted to leave small gatherings because of the annoyance.

Did you do or take anything in particular? I’m only at 4 months in and I’m going to try harder to ride this out but I absolutely hate everything about this noise!

Nice that you’ve improved!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I haven't done anything special really. Only protected my ears, took vitamin D and B-vitamin complex, also my ENT prescribed me Betaserc 24 mg two times (I think it sped up the process). And that's it.
      The fact that you protect your ears while being at work is a good thing. I also do that at work, also when I am outside or at the mall. I do not protect my ears while I'm at home. I can't wear earplugs all the time because my ears start to hurt. But anyway home is a quiet place so I don't think it is necessary to protect ears at home.

I agree with others on this forum really. Main healers are time and noise protection. Supplements and other prescription drugs like Betaserc (increases blood flow to the inner ear) do not play the role of a magical pill but they do help the body to heal itself more effectively. But timing is very individual. I hope to be tinnitus and hyperacusis free in a year or two.

So we have to stay strong :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Andymo

Andymo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible earbuds and/oxoticity
      Wow, @Coffeebean! You have shed some light into my temple of doom. Thank you! Have been displaying all symptoms over the past 2 weeks and, to be honest,
      I have been shit-scared, anxious, depressed and even thinking those other dark thoughts. The paradox is that my hearing is ok, been tested, so I still don't understand the condition. My greatest fear driving my guilt is I have been spending many hours on my road bike, listening to ear buds. But if I have damaged my inner ear hairs / cochlea (sp) why did my hearing test ok... But you've given me hope. Thank you! TRT for me. Mind me asking how severe your hyperacusis was?

29. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Hi @Coffeebean
      Thanks for coming on here to respond to people's queries - it means a lot!

I have a question - did/do you have any lingering anxiety about sound etc and any advice as to how to overcome this? My hyperacusis setback is pretty much gone now and I'm not really having any issues with day-t0-day noise so I guess it's reverted to a milder form of noise sensitivity as it has been for most of the past 4 years.

However, this has been by far my longest setback, taking approx. 6 months to properly resolve and I've realised I have a TON of residual anxiety about dangerous noise levels that I fear will prevent me from enjoying life. At the height of this setback back in January/February I was in a near-constant state of discomfort/pain with burning ear symptoms etc which really decimated my mental health.

Tbh I feel a bit 'scarred' (trying not to sound melodramatic) and have this pervasive fear of being one accident away from further catastrophe - one of my particular worries is fire/smoke alarms - in my head I'm already concocting future hypothetical scenarios in which I start a job at a workplace where the fire alarms are constantly tested or move into a new place with an easily triggered smoke alarm. I've been referred to CBT by my ENT which could definitely be useful with regards to the phonophobia aspect of all this. I don't know, I just felt so pleased to finally be 'out of the woods' lately but my brain can't cope with not having something to worry about it's so incredibly frustrating.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      It’s possible that you have inflammation, and not structural damage, which I suspect is part of my case as well. Unless it is self-perpetuating due to an underlying cause it is likely to calm down.

Although hearing tests are poor at detecting minute damage, so it is very possible you have mild synapse or OHC loss.

• Like Like x 2