Noise-Induced Tinnitus & Head Piece at Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannah bow, Mar 6, 2018.

1. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      hi guys,

I’ve just started a new temp job and I have to use a headpiece at work to speak to customers on calls. I avoid using earphones and headphones and I’m worried this earpiece will aggravate my tinnitus.

Does anyone have any experience or been affected with this? Is there different frequencies that make speaking to someone on the phone through a head piece different to listening to music and therefore makes it ok?!

2. Dij111
      Paranoid

Dij111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure(Fire Alarm, Headphone Usage)
      Look up on Acoustic Shock Disorder - these desk phones we use at work can sometimes generate unexpected loud high frequency sounds, which can be dangerous(might even be how I got my T).

A solution is to use a headset that limits the dB levels transmitted through it.
      From what I hear Sennheiser headsets with ActiveGard feature are the most reliable.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Ok great thank you! I don’t know if I’m just over thinking it but it does definitely feel like it’s changed pitch since using the head pieces, I’ve been balancing them over my ears so they’re not fully covered and had it on a low volume whilst taking breaks... going to give it a few more days and try not overthink it. Will definitely look into the Sennheiser headset :)

4. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      I got my tinnutus from overuse of headphones at lower volume, please dont use them even at lower volume, at them to let you talk from loudspeaker of phone, or either left the jobit will surely make your tinnitus worse

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The spectral distribution of voice is not as widespread as (most) music, but I doubt it makes much of a difference. Volume is, in my opinion, a more important factor.