On My Way to Recovery from Tinnitus and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Vassili, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm scared I'm never going to get my life back. I hate this. I want it to stop! I'm so scared.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Same to be honest. I am afraid of ending up like Joyce Cohen; wearing muffs and plugs 24/7, all plastic cups and paper plates, only using subtitles, no music, etc. Noxacusis has only been getting worse and my living situation is less than ideal (family, dog). I need total silence but unfortunately every day is a constant peril and I get setback regularly. If I'm not better in a few years I would seriously consider living off the grid somehow. Or moving to a third world country in a cheap, isolated area.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you still have it after 1.5 years? Omg. I’m sorry. That’s not giving me hope :( ugh. I can’t believe any of this. I want silence. This never should have happened.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try engaging in things you like to do @Tara Lyons or take up a hobby, anything that directs your thoughts away from the tinnitus. I know it's not easy but persistence does pay off in the long run believe me. It took 4 years for me to habituate for the second time. For two of those years I was unable to read a book as the tinnitus was very intrusive. I kept trying and you can too - it does take time...

Take care
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      No I’ve had tinnitus for 1.5 years and hyperacusis for 2 months.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hello, Michael!

I remember you once said that your first bout with tinnitus and hyperacusis took you 2 years to recover. Can you recall when did the headache vanish? After a year my tinnitus got much better (still hear hissing and firecrackers now and then but it does not bother me much) and I think my hyperacusis is almost gone (I am not sure) but what bothers me is headache. Espeсially temples, teeth and nose.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Vassili

I do not recall experiencing headaches when I first had tinnitus and hyperacusis. However, when the tinnitus increased in 2008 I started to have them and mentioned it to my ENT doctor. She said some of her patients also have headaches when their tinnitus is severe. I still get the headaches but only when the tinnitus is severe. My tinnitus ranges from: complete silence, mild, moderate, severe and very severe. I have habituated and only take clonazepam when the tinnitus is severe lasting for more than 2 or 3 days. It will usually calm down by itself but if not I have the meds but try not to rely on them. I do not experience any hyperacusis.

You might want to mention the headaches and the discomfort you're feeling in your temples, nose and teeth to your doctor.

Best of luck.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      My ENT also told me that all those different pains that I experience are a pretty common symptom. She advised me to take Ibuprofen if I can't handle them. After a year these symptoms became more mild and tolerable so I hope that another year would pass and they will also vanish. Sometimes it gets really weird because tinnitus becomes really quiet but pain becomes more severe. Good thing is that I don't have these painful days every day, maybe 2-3 days a week. On other days symptoms are really mild and I do not consider them an issue but tinnitus is a bit louder at those days. It's like I'm paying for more silent days with pain. Today, for example, was a bad day and I took Ibuprofen.

Doctor also suspected that I developed PTSD after my acoustic trauma. She believes that all these pains will go away after tinnitus recovery. When I spoke to her for the last time she was really happy to hear about my positive dynamics towards recovery and told me that I should wait another year and then she would check my hearing again. I don't know what to think. I have only hope for the better and prayers to God. I live with this headache for a year already and I am more tired from it than I am from tinnitus. Good thing is that it is incomparable with the pain that I had for the first 6 months. So maybe doctor was right. Maybe it will vanish someday.

I am also seeing a Neurologist in November. I hope that he will advise me something. Long time ago I had issues with trigeminal nerve and Carbamazepine helped me a lot.

Thank you, Michael!
      It is always nice to talk to you.
      Take care.

Vassili

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You felt better after a year? I’m barely hanging on here :( I want to be normal again so bad.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Car Alarm/Immune Response?
      Ibuprofen is ototoxic. You should stop taking it.

• Like Like x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, I did. But my headache bugs me sometimes. It seems that I have to wait another year for my symptoms to vanish completely. Time will tell.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I know that. I don't take it on a regular basis. I take it really responsibly. 1-2 pills a 3 months. Only when my teeth get especially achy. I don't think this amount can do any harm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
    14. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Hi Vassili,

I have the same thing, headache at the temples. Do you wear glasses? Do you have TMJ? Sending prayers for continued recovery.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I am sorry to hear that you also suffer from headache. I hope that yours will calm down some day.

Yes, I wear glasses. I do not have any TMJ issues. In September I went to the dentist and I completely excluded dental problems. I believe that my headache is caused by my concussion.

Thank you for your prayers. I hope that you will also get better with time.

• Like Like x 1
    16. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Thank you, I'm hoping it calms down sooner than later. A month ago I didn't think I had TMJ issues either, but with the pressure I feel it in my jaw too. Thank you for the well wishes.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's amazing! I am very happy for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I also feel pressure in my jaw sometimes but it's not TMJ, more like muscle carcass spasms allover my head.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you, Juan!
      After a year I feel much better but the problem is still there. I hope that next Autumn I would be OK. Time will tell.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Did you go to the doctor about the headaches? What did he/she say?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Today I finally went to neurologist. He assured me that everything will go away on its own but when, nobody knows. Waited almost 4 months for this appointment. Well, at least it was free (5 EUR). At least he told me that my dynamic towards recovery is very positive and it should stay positive till the end. Also told me that this condition exists but mechanisms behind it are not enough understood yet by medical scientists. Advised me to go to psychiatrist to get cognitive therapy. That's it. No pill. Only time and luck.

To be honest, I knew that the result of this appointment would be something like this. I went because I waited for this for too long plus I received some positive outlook on my problem and doctor was empathic.

22. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Well, the good thing is that you have confirmation of some things you already knew. I'm glad he was positive and that helps to give continued hope. Praying for healing and recovery for each of us.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      We will make it. I have no doubt. Sooner or later our normal life will return.

Everything in this life happens for a reason...

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Yes, it does.

Blessings,
      Teresa

• Like Like x 1
    25. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Some people use the antidepressant Nortriptyline for migraines/nerve pain. Not sure if this would work in your case but wanted to throw it out there.

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I am so sad today it just scares me. Almost 14 months already. Life became much easier but I have a feeling that I will never recover completely. I am glad that soon I will be going to psychiatrist. I feel that I don't have any positive resources left in me.

I can't even be happy because of Christmas is coming. And I loved this time of year so much.

• Hug Hug x 3
    27. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Vassili

I'm so sorry you are feeling down.

I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna, it's just that sometimes when we are down, we see everything negatively and don't see the positive (even if it's minuscule sometimes).

You have come a long way, and there is still time for more improvement.

Even if you (or I, or anyone else) never fully recover to pre tinnitus & hyperacusis; there are many people with this who still go on and live a life.
      There are also the possible treatments coming down the pipeline to hopefully help us all.

I find having a good cry lets out some of the grief, then one can carry on.
      Talking to a psychiatrist is a good idea.

Some books that may be helpful???

"Tinnitus Toolbox Hyperacusis Handbook" by Jan L. Mayes. She is an audiologist who herself has tinnitus and hyperacusis for many years. She talks about having a coping toolbox. It has practical information (hearing aids, hearing protection, sound therapy etc) but also mind therapy tools.

"Making Friends With Your Tinnitus" by Libby Cunniffe. It too has a section on mind tools.

I hope you feel better soon. We are all here for you. :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      You've made tremendous progress - I see no reason it can't continue. I hope you keep getting better!

• Like Like x 5
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you for support, Linda!

I will definitely try and find these books on the internet.

I feel that my psyche is exhausted but I will move on towards habituation or full recovery no matter what. I am sure that I will gain back my positive mindset during Christmas being with my family.

I also hope that you are making progress in your recovery and overall doing OK.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you for support, GBB!

It's been a tough and rough year for me not only because of ear problems. I just feel exhausted. I'm sure that someday we will write our success stories. You'll see.

I hope you are doing OK, giving your best to stay positive and making steady progress.