Orthostatic Issue: When I Stand After Sitting I Experience Hearing Disturbances for 30-120 Seconds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amy Ferguson, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Amy Ferguson

Amy Ferguson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello! I have been dealing with what I think is pulsatile tinnitus for the last couple of years but the symptoms seem unlike any that I’ve seen.

I have been to an ENT and had an MRI and MRA done with everything looking normal, so right now I’m just trying to ignore the symptoms and get on with my life.

Here are my symptoms - I don’t hear a noise. I don’t hear a heart beat. My symptoms begin when I stand after sitting for awhile and last anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I experience a hearing disturbance with my hearing actually going in and out to the beat of my heart I’m assuming. It isn’t that noticeable unless I am around a constant noise source i.e. the hum of refrigeration units in a grocery store or the sound of traffic or an air conditioner or the hum of a fan. The sound will rhythmically cut in and out and then after 30 seconds to a couple of minutes the sound will smooth out again and be normal again. This happens multiple times each day. Anytime I stand after sitting for any length of time.

It’s definitely an Orthostatic issue. I haven’t been able to find similar symptoms anywhere.

I am a 62 year old female in good health with no weight issues. Any ideas?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      @Amy Ferguson

I'm sorry you're experiencing these symptoms. I've also been having orthostatic issues for the last six months and while my tinnitus is constant, whenever I stand I get light headed and tingly, and can hear/feel my heartbeat in my head along with a mild decrease in hearing. Doesn't exactly match what you have, but similar enough to understand how concerning it is for you.

I told my doctor about my above symptoms and she's referred me to a cardiologist. My appointment is this Thursday so I don't have any news to give you yet, but my primary care doc thinks it may be related to the heart and or vascular issues. There's a substantial family history of heart issues on both my maternal and paternal sides so she wants it checked out. Might be a good idea to see your doc and maybe consider going to a cardiologist. Even if it isn't related, worth to have everything checked out regardless.

All the best and I hope you start feeling better.

3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I also have "orthostatic issues", which I refer to as Orthostatic Intolerance. It falls under sort of an umbrella term called Dysautonomia (notes below are from linked website). I've discovered that applying a topical solution of DMSO and Magnesium Oil helps control stiffness and inflammation in my neck, and improves my dysautonomia symptoms. It may not help others however, as there can be many different causes or factors involved in this condition.

I've heard of some people discovering their's is caused by an autoimmune disease, and were able to recover once they corrected that autoimmune condition. Since dysautonomia involves nerves and structures in close proximity to the ears, it doesn't surprise me that it appears tinnitus can be caused by dysautonomia, and dysautonomia can cause tinnitus (or make one more vulnerable to it).

Dysautonomia refers to a group of neurological disorders in which the autonomic nervous system (ANS) has become dysregulated. This can involve the failure of either the sympathetic nervous system or parasympathetic nervous system or both. The symptoms of dysautonomia can affect every system in the body, sometimes in unpredictable ways. Symptoms may be mild or debilitating. They also may wax and wane in intensity, or be unremitting. Depending on the type of dysautonomia and its cause, patients may deal with symptoms permanently or in some cases recover.

There are many different types of dysautonomia, including Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), Neurally Mediated Syncope (NMS), Orthostatic Intolerance (OI), Autoimmune Autonomic Ganglionopathy (AAG), Pure Autonomic Failure (PAF), Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), and more. While some specific types are rare, dysautonomia itself is not. Over 70 million people in the world live with one or more forms of dysautonomia. (1)

In some cases, otherwise healthy patients can develop dysautonomia or the cause may be unknown. There are also patients who develop dysautonomia secondary to another underlying conditions such as Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes, Marfan Syndrome, Chiari Malformation, Mast Cell Activation Disorder, Autonomic Neuropathy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Diabetes, Celiac Disease, Sjögren's Syndrome, Mitochondrial Disorders, and more. Patients whose dysautonomia is caused by an underlying condition are more likely to deal with symptoms to some degree indefinitely. However, when possible, treating the underlying condition can sometimes improve patients' symptoms of dysautonomia.

There is currently no cure for dysautonomia, but ongoing research is building a better understanding of many forms of dysautonomia and offering new hope. Proper medical care and patient education can help those affected by dysautonomia better manage their condition and improve their quality of life.

Symptoms of Dysautonomia often include:

Bradycardia (Abnormally Low Heart Rate) or Tachycardia (Abnormally High Heart Rate)

Widely fluctuating Blood Pressure, high or low.

Frequent, Large Swings in Heart Rate or Blood Pressure

Orthostatic Intolerance or Exercise Intolerance

Frequent Bouts of Dehydration

Chronic Fatigue

Heart Palpitations

Dizziness or Vertigo

Syncope (losing consciousness) or Near Syncope

Low Blood Volume

Frequent Nausea and Gastrointestinal Motility Issues

Difficulty Swallowing

Chest Pain

Shortness of Breath

Frequent Migraines or Headaches

Hypersensitivity to Light, Sound, Touch, or Smell

Difficulty Regulating Temperature​

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amy Ferguson

Amy Ferguson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you! My ENT gave me the choice of an MRI /MRA or a referral to a cardiologist and I chose the former thinking it just had to be a head thing! I guess a visit with a cardiologist might be next on the list!