Otonomy OTO-413 — Treatment of Hidden Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Michael Larsen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. FGG

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It's significantly easier to get BDNF elevations in the blood than in significant amounts in cochlear circulation. I remember reading more gets in the brain than cochlea (would have to look for reference).

• Like Like x 2
    2. FGG

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I still think it is absolutely crazy how slow this entire process is moving. They are spending millions of dollars on multiple trials to simply see if this stuff is safe, before they can actually present efficacy data.

First off, that is insane. They could very easily test safety and efficacy in the same trial. Besides, I already know this stuff is safe, even in large doses. Like, "whoops I just poured a whole lot into the solution without even measuring it correctly" safe. It is also going to take multiple injections for this to show good efficacy.

In the meantime while the system proves to itself that it is indeed safe and efficacious, many people will be tormented day and night with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown; acoustic trauma/hyperacusis/sshl
      I know this was a year ago, but I doubt it. My hyperacusis came on a month before my tinnitus and is likely the cause of my tinnitus. Now, my hyperacusis has been settling down (save for when some dumbass purposefully drops a stack of weights because he’s not strong enough to control it and left side nerves/muscles flare/spasm for 5-45minutes) and my tinnitus has not much at all. So in my case, there hasn’t been a strong correlation between the two conditions apart from hyperacusis lending itself to causality of the tinnitus. One experience, at least.

• Informative Informative x 1