Outdoor Concert & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ampumpkin, Jun 9, 2014.

1. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      If you...

1) wear new earplugs
      2) fit them correctly as per these guidelines I have provided previously (see again below); especially step #3
      3) do not move about after having inserted the earplugs

...then you will get very close to the protection offered by the manufacturer of the earplugs at the various frequencies. Yes!

But as a example - when I go to the gym - I probably have to reinsert my earplugs every 15 minutes or so in order to get the maximum protection (because they come undone). Which I of course cannot be "bothered" to do. Because I am human (believe it or not). And so the protection level goes down.

And be honest here: after you insert your earplugs, do you press and hold the earplugs in for about one minute to let them expand correctly? I am pretty sure many people overlook that step - either because they don't know about it or because "oh well, it probably doesn't matter"-mentality. And leaving out that step immediately takes away 10db of protection (round figure, of course).

And do you always use new earplugs? And when attending an AC/DC concert, do you stand absolutely still, or do move about together with the rest of the crowd?

That's why the derating calculation has been made. Folks - I didn't invent the calculation; it was invented for a reason. Because there are ideal conditions... and then there is reality. And reality is that people do end up with tinnitus after going to concerts - sometimes even with earplugs as some members on this board can attest to.

I am leaving this thread now.

Instructions on how to use earplugs correctly.

Earplugs_Instructions.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      "No comment".

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I have a box of 250 ear plugs.. In new packages everytime i use them. I insert them the right way and hold them in for at least a minute to expand and when there in, there in pretty damn good and feel tight and not stickin out of my ear at all. And no i wont go to a concert, but when im sittin at a bar with music they dont come out and ofcorse i check them on and off. I litterly spent like a long time how to put them in and i finally got it down great!

4. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @attheedgeofscience
      Well in case you read it :)
      My empathy didnt allow me to interpret your reasons as a joke so you do by no means have to elaborate the big deal.
      I read your journal from which I can tell there's a big financial aspect, besides that imagine the emotional aspects making you go to the lengths you've gone, your examination of your case in front of everyone in here which again is indeed appreciated.
      "After all, missing out on a concert is not the end of the world. But developing tinnitus can be the end of world. Quite literally, sometimes."
      I know you don't think it's a pretty big deal, but perhaps it is to others? I can say.
      As to your question which wasn't exactly the equivalent of your first statement, it's not about going to one concert, it's about living. People all over the world go horseriding, they cheerlead, they play football etc.
      All of those being incredibly dangerous occupations, yet people keep on doing them as it keeps them alive and happy. Exact same principle applies to concerts and music. Is that one concert worth an entire life with tinnitus you ask, and I reply what is the entire worth of the rest of my life, without what's keeping me happy and alive?
      You cannot predict the outcome of going to a concert, but you can certainly predict the outcome of not doing what you love, or?
      Different values, different reasons, different aspects. I think your intention is sincere, and it's great providing that good neutral info, while at it just be careful undermining there being a reason for one to bring up the topic of concerts in the first place. Missing out on a concert can indeed be the end of the world.
      Now I'm leaving too! I'm happy op had a good experience and that we got all the good info on the subject :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank you, I did have problems fitting ear plug, I will follow the directions Thanks.much appreciated!

6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Once you quoted OSHA the validity decreased by 75%.

7. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Seems like this thread is at it's end. However, if either you Tenna, or ATEOS read this, I would like you to know that I appreciate the dialogue/information/bouncing around of opinions/differences of opinions/ etc. that this thread so typically illustrates and you have bothered to share. [After all it chews up less energy to stay silent].
      To me, that is as it should be and I'm glad that there is the room to agree to disagree - though somewhat minimal in this instance. More just different viewpoints, as I happen to agree perfectly with both of them...Both you guys.
      I have the 'damage' to fully get behind what ATEOS is warning of (so I do not see it as "negative" at all), yet have been around the tinnitus blocks for long enough to know that somehow we have to 'risk to live' too, despite the potential for regret. It's a tricky balance and indeed one I have gained and lost in...so God knows how I would choose in a case like this, where a concert would potentially be possible. [Which it is 100% not for me - so I guess that answer is easy!].

ATEOS, I want to add, that I also appreciate the depth and quality of the material/information you share. You have a knack for blending science and data with situations (hence your "name" I presume). Even if you get flak for that at times, don't stop! It's great. Often amazing. Often unique. Always rewarding - for me at least.

Thanks again...and glad you did OK Tenna.

Zimichael

• Like Like x 1
    8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Yes. You're fine. As long as you take brakes and what not. I think overthinking all of this stuff will cause us to become hermits. Even though it scares me that I have to play 90-120 minute sets sometimes with a band that well exceeds 100 db I take refuge in the fact that either my musicians plugs (ER-25)or my Good old foam Howard light (NRR 33) will provide me with protection.

9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      It does for chris martin anyways.. He said his hasnt gotten any worse in ten years and he plays shows that are 100+ db. I know its different for everyone but ill never be a hermit. I can deal with not goin to concerts and clubs but bars and movies and whatnot ill wear earplugs and enjoyyy

10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Chris uses special in ear monitors that as far as I know can only attenuate the sound max of 25db...but there's not that much happening on stage sound wise if there are no conventional monitors (wedges). But who knows if his has gotten worse. I mean, I don't think he'd make it public unless the band broke up or they stopped touring for some reason. But it does inspire me to know active rockstars carry on over the T. Wish he would join TT. LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah, i know. I would LOVEE to meet ozzy ozbourne too.. He has bad T i heard.. No wonder he screams when he talks.. And he continues to play.. I just really wonder how it effects him ya know? I just always assumed hes always doped on something to not care lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Indeed @Zimichael :) to learn and illuminate others it's essential to be up for debate, it just does demand quite some time and effort.
      As to the negativity it was not so much about the warning part of it as sharing general knowledge on it is much needed, it was more undermining what a concert (and something of that caliber) mean to other people. It isn't the end of the world to many, and I envy that, in op's thread concert's meaningfulness is quite given to me, so I just find it unnecessary and counterproductive to provide a reply with how meaningless it is :) that being said I like seeing debate triggers, to me it's the best way we all can learn

13. Gifford

Gifford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2, 2014
      LadyDi ... My T was also caused by a barometric pressure injury on a flight on May 2, though I probably had some hearing loss before that flight. If I only knew this were possible, I never would have gotten on that plane. As my T is only in my left ear, I am very afraid of flying again. An otologist said he wouldn't ground me, be said to take Sudefed before flying to make sure all passages are clear, and under no circumstances am I to fly if I have a cold. For the time being, I am grounding myself, which is a shame since I have family that lives 2,000 miles away and a love to travel. .... Sigh.

14. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I sure wouldn't go, not for free even with front roll seats, buy the CD, an listen to it at a safe loudness. Its just not worth the risk. But your going that you want to anyway. Take it from a guy that played in band,,, "its not worth the payment"

Good luck

Louie

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Don't go.
      Low rumbling sounds are transmitted by bone conduction, not air conduction. Earplugs won't help. Is it worth it if your T goes up? That's the question.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I ended up going :) No impact on my T. Had earplugs on the whole time and earmuffs, just in case.

• Like Like x 1