Overmasturbation Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 1-800-273-8255, Jul 16, 2019.

1. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry that this discussion offends some of you. We're just two people interested in discussing this, it would be ideal to do it on another forum since this has nothing to do with tinnitus anymore. Nothing Bill has wrote has offended me in the slightest, although I do not agree with the way he view things.

• Like Like x 2
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not talking about feeling good at this point, I'm talking about the endgame for self-realization and spiritual advancement outlined in the Yoga sutras. That has nothing to do what passes for "yoga" in most western circles. Go have a full Kundalini awakening and then tell me about "mumbo jumbo" lol

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So none of it could be tested and verified, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      One would think that anything goes in a thread titled "overmasturbation tinnitus".

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    5. incelitus
      Question it

incelitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      qtip gangbang/kurt cobain
      Bust that nut my dude.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think it's safe to say that this spiritual stuff is inconclusive. A blue orb kind of sounds like visual snow. There are things that exist but science has not yet confirmed, but that doesn't mean it should be disregarded.

• Like Like x 3
    7. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      IMHO, you're just being a dick for trying to break up a genuine debate between a woo woo practitioner and a skeptic.

giphy.gif

• Funny x 5
      • Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @ChrisBoyMonkey -- According the spiritual path called Eckankar, the appearance of a blue light (in various forms, such as a pinpoint, a star, a ball, etc.) is a significant spiritual event in a person's life. This STORY is just one of many I've read from people who've had that experience. @Heavyantra @Star64 @R. David Case @Daniel Lion

To science, the kind of experience described in the above linked story would be inconclusive (to be generous). But to the person who has this kind of experience, it can become a bit of a dilemma. Do I accept it as real and of value, or do I reject it because my rational mind says it can't be real? Our decision often comes down to how much we trust our sense of discernment.

What helps me make a decision on the validity of an experience like this or something similarly "different", is to note if I feel a sense of love accompanying it. If so, then it tells me I'm experiencing something very real, and science really isn't going to have much of a clue about it. As far as I know, they've never tried to measure love. ;)

BTW, here's a LINK to a 3-min. introductory video on singing HU (which is mentioned in the above linked story).

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Lmao good meme and I loved that movie.

10. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This blue light is akin to religion, where people say thry have seen angels or that God has spoken to them. There's just no way for science to confirm this at this time, and it may never will. It sounds a lot like sensory hyperactivity, similar to our condition tinnitus. There is research into religion/spirituality though, and its' neurophysiological effects regardless if the experiences are "real" or not.

Love, in some ways, can be measured. It's usually done by measurement of the neurotransmitter oxytocin, which is nicknamed the "love" neurotransmitter.

When singing or in prayer, or in similar religious/spiritual activities, our minds are actually designed to experience elation and jubilation. This actually is known to science.

I've got an interesting link for you too, which further explains this.

• Like Like x 6
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      According to Ryan Hart (I have no idea who he is), tinnitus could be due to
      https://www.ryanhart.org/ear-ringing-meaning/

Ryan is not alone. I stumbled onto his website, as I was searching for a YouTube video that I saw two years ago where a lady pointed out that ringing in the ears is angels (or was it aliens?) communicating with us.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer -- Well, I probably won't spend too much time checking this out, but for some reason I got a good kick out of this anyway... :D

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Just going to leave these here:

https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/blogs/disrupted-nerve-cell-function-and-tinnitus

"Tinnitus is a condition in which one hears a ringing and/or buzzing sound in the ears ... We theorize this is due to the disruption of dopamine neurons"

https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...the-answer-to-what-causes-ringing-in-the-ears

"After studying the amount of grey matter in the brain, the team figured out that a loss of such matter in particular areas contributed to both tinnitus and chronic pain - these areas were dubbed "gatekeeping" areas. The process is affected by levels of dopamine and serotonin, which are known to be related to our feelings of energy, mood, and depression."

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Fire2Flowers
      Balanced

Fire2Flowers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17th, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Generalized Anxiety Disorder
      I don't think this case is extremely out of the ordinary, for this reason: When you masturbate and climax, your blood will rush to various parts of your body (including your groin and head). Your blood pressure should be higher during sexual activity, which can upset existing tinnitus or be the catalyst in some cases. I'm still learning about tinnitus myself, but this was the logic I followed. You could be dealing with a series of "spikes" whenever you engage in sexual activity.

The many different causes and links were mentioned here, "High Blood Pressure" seems to be one of them. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156

I would get this one checked out with a doctor, and start looking further into your blood pressure history (if you have it recorded). Hope you feel better, please don't give up! You just need to determine the cause and focus on a treatment plan. Sometimes it gets better and goes away, not always, but the hope is still there. Keep faith and stay strong, you can push through this!

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah, you forgot to put "scientific" in that sentence. Good! In that case yes, it can be tested and verified. And it has been for thousands of years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As a chronic pain and tinnitus sufferer with lifelong problems with depression, this is very interesting

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Please tell me the difference between scientific and nonscientific verification.

By the way, you are right - for thousands (actually tens of thousands) of years people were ok with nonscientific verification. We both know how effective it turned out to be as far as their life expectancy and their ability to reach the other goals of theirs. Once humans began to use scientific verification, you can see what That did to their ability to achieve their goals (e.g., curing diseases). So what is the argument in favour of nonscientific verification again?

Thank you for the clarification.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Oh, you are saying that it has been verified scientifically?!

Are you aware of the term "predatory journals"? It is when scam artists open a journal, give it a scientific-sounding name, and then publish anything the author pays them to publish there. Not very scientific.

With the above in mind, may I ask you to please send me a link to one of those papers that had tested what you said was tested? Please make sure that the journal where the paper got published isn't listed on
      https://beallslist.weebly.com/

Of course, sometimes the journal is so obscure (i.e., "the journal" is someone's printer at home) that it isn't listed anywhere (not even in "list of predatory journals"). But just send the citation to me, and I will be able to check whether the journal appears on any journal ratings lists out there.

• Like Like x 1
    20. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why don't you explain it professor? I don't know

I'm still talking about the yoga sutras. You're tripping all over yourself, focus man! The techniques in that book have been verified to work through thousands of years of collective effort, and then compiled after the fact. What type of verification is that? If scientists were interested in proving that the yoga sutras worked, maybe they could. Some attempts have been made to do brain scans of monks in meditation. Their brains operate in other ways than normal people, that much is shown. Does that prove anything poignant about what meditation and enlightenment is? No, and I'd say that's a fault of the scientific method.

Please, tell me you do realize that science has proven a small percentage of everything that is but that doesn't invalidate what is hasn't proven?

Why are you bringing the idea of progress into this? Yoga isn't about material or medical progress according to western standards, I don't see how it's relevant to the discussion. Except maybe to give me a chance to point out that chinese and ayurvedic medicine works very well for many people and have for thousands of years.

You obviously don't have any knowledge about this avenue of experience and you mostly seem interested in proving wrong something you have no knowledge about. I honestly don't see why that is. Myself I like to keep an open mind, and I'm pretty sure I haven't disregarded anything you have said in this thread.

That goes for most people in the thread saying that something that BILLIONS of people hold to be true is "woo woo". Also drawing conclusions about what I "am". Oh, the ignorance. I'm not a "woo woo" practitioner. I have an interest in western and eastern philosophy and I have studied both with equal interest... I find eastern philosophy to be more interesting and emprical for me personally.

BTW Bill this is fun :)

• Like Like x 2
    21. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, that's not what I said. Do I need to read the rest of your post?

22. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm pretty sure a kundalini awakening could be proven with the right methods since it's a physical process in the body, hardwired into all of us. Yes, you too like it or not.

This is different from other ideas of enlightenment though.

EDIT: "allegedly"

23. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @HeavyMantra the person you're arguing with has me on ignore and good riddence, but anyone who doesn't think there's been pretty extensive scientific inquiry into many of these issues which has concluded, in general "things do things", well... they haven't actually bothered to keep up with the research and they are just arguing with you in bad faith.

https://www.amazon.com/Selfless-Insight-Meditative-Transformations-Consciousness/dp/0262516659

Reading that book is about the minimum level of dedication I'd expect from someone before I'd waste any time arguing with them about any of this... especially if they happen to be a someone with a long-demonstrated trackrecord of themselves posting very extreme ideas that can't be substantiated with science :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Wouldn't it be just too much sexual activity and not just masturbation?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you aware that most--if not all--widely accepted medical journals could easily be classified as predatory? As I recall, a former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine resigned because of the undue (think nefarious) pharmaceutical companies' influence, not only on scientific testing, but scientific reporting. And of course, the entire drug approval process at the FDA as well. -- I could go on endlessly about so called "scientific verification", but suffice it to say, it's often hardly anything more than a corrupted political process.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know anything about medical journals. I know that in my discipline most journals aren't predatory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So where is the study? And if the study isn't there, and you know that there is a huge incentive to publish such a study, then what is this telling you about whether or not the study (once it is done) is going to be successful?
      Nonscientific verification = nonsense. Scientific verification isn't. Can you explain why you disagree with this statement?
      It isn't a verification. Verification would involve a control group, researchers not knowing which group is the control group, many observations, advanced statistical methods to control for the natural variability of the data, etc.

What you described would also apply to all of the other folk stories about witches, trolls (in its traditional non-internet meaning), werewolfs, etc. People have told stories about these things over thousands of years (and claimed to witness those things), and then someone wrote it all down after the fact. Hopefully you will agree that it is all nonsense (e.g., there must have been sadistic serial killers around even hundreds/thousands of years ago, and when people would find the bodies of their victims they would assume it was evidence of werewolfs).
      The standard for accepting something as the truth shouldn't be that it hasn't been invalidated. I can't prove that you Aren't a space alien - this doesn't mean that it makes sense for me to believe that I am talking to a space alien.
      Trust me, scientists are willing to do anything to get a publication in a good journal. Using scientific method to prove that there is something true about yoga sutras would definitely result in a publication. The reason nobody has published anything about that is definitely not because the scientists aren't interested.
      Progress came about when people made a decision to stop believing statements that can't be proved. You are believing statements that can't be proved. So...
      Yoga claims to achieve certain goals. If it could be proven that it achieves what it sets out to achieve, then nobody should have any problem with it.
      Until the 19th century, billions of people used to believe that it is ok for a doctor to not wash his hands before seeing a new patient. Billions of people used to believe in spirits, and ghosts, and bizarre stories about how the world came about.
      I am glad. The last thing I want is to upset a fellow T sufferer.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The HRCC bans both masturbation and contraception.
      Sex is purely for procreation.
      Sex for pleasure is a sin.
      Insisting on celibacy for its priests it has literally ‘fucked’ millions of young lives.
      Masturbation is totally harmless.
      Celibacy creates monsters.

The first time I made love I was just thirteen.
      I was alone at the time.”

Jest sayin’.......

29. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      And this is where the thread veers into politics, the abyss from which nothing escapes.

• Funny Funny x 2
    30. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      It seems like the OP suffers from some form of dopamine imbalance to me.

• Like Like x 1