Poll: Does This Forum Comfort or Scare You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Apr 22, 2016.

?

Does Tinnitus Talk Comfort or Scare You?

1. Comfort

2. Scare

3. Sometimes Comfort, Sometimes Scare

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      The stories you read on here and the people who post. How does it make you feel?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I hope the forum helps most people.
      Some members read and don't post.
      Some will rant and feel better for it.
      Some will post serious hard to cope and suicidal posts.
      Some after advice.
      Some positive stories

Each post is as important as the next and hope find some knowledge of what they want to know about and get the support they need......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
    3. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Sometimes comfort, sometimes scared. I'd say 50% - 50%, so I can't tell you.

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think the poll, in order to include all the possibilities, should have had a third option as an answer:
      1. Comforted
      2. Scared
      3. Both (sometimes comforted, sometime scared)

In that case I would have voted "both".
      1.When I have a spike and I have nobody to understand me and I am scared to death and I think that nobody has the condition that I have, I open this forum that reminds me that I am not the only one, that I am not a "weirdo", and that I have some people with whom to "tinnitus talk". I find that comforting. I also hope that one day, reading here about all kinds of cases and experiences and comparing them to mine, I could figure out the cause of my T.
      2. When I encountered a case that seemed to me very serious, I get scared for that somebody's life and for mine, cause having a T that ranges from "bad but bearable (more or less)" to "suicidal levels" myself, I can understand and relate to the most serious cases.
      I see that somebody above feels the same, sometimes comforted, sometimes scared.
      If more people answer like me and i.am, I think that somebody should complete the poll with the third option for an answer, so we can have a real, relevant statistic.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I would say comfort, you guys understand what I'm going through and I have no idea what I would do without this. If I try to tell someone who doesn't have this problem they just look at you and feel sorry but don't know the true problems it's causes. And that's not their fault!! But coming on here lets me cope! So thanks :D

• Like Like x 5
    6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I see that somebody was so fast that the suggestion to change the poll was taken into consideration and the modification was already made. But for the sake of accuracy, my vote should be moved now from "scared" to "sometimes comfort, sometimes scare". Could this be done?
      @i.am So did you vote or not? In case you voted for one of the first two options, and if votes can be changed, you should say from what group of votes, "comfort" or "scare", your vote can be moved to "sometimes comfort, sometimes scare" too. Right now there are no votes for "sometime comfort, sometimes scare", although that wold have been the preferred answer of two members.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      @Dana I did, thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Both. Some people understand and are supportive. But when I see people who have been suffering with this for years or even decades and have not gotten any better it scares me a bit.

I have very high pitched tinnitus that is loud enough to hear anywhere and I have been waiting patiently to see if it gets better, but to be honest it hasn't gotten any easier to deal with. If I could only hear it in quiet places I think I would be would be able to habituate to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      When I started to come here I wanted comfort, got a mix of both comfort and scare. Then it was just scare. Then it was comfort, now I have detached any negative feelings towards TT and any stories that would have gotten me to scare-mood. I want to help out and I also want to see how others are doing since I feel that we are a small community that care of each other :)
      Although I would say I'm OK again, I haven't stopped coming here :)

• Like Like x 3
    10. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would say comfort if not a little scared with a few of the stories.

Just knowing you are not alone generally really helps , it's a shame everyone lives so apart from each other , we need a Tinnitus Talk get together lol

• Like Like x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey this is cool. Someone changed my question to an actual poll and added a third option. Thanks to the people who did this! When I first created this question I was tired and didn't even think about both scare and comfort happening at different times. I actually agree with the third option too!

12. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      I couldn't have done without this forum in the first month.

I was in a panic, I couldn't talk to anyone about it, so I posted here. Even just writing about it made me feel better.

I also got a lot of good advice, and reading the positivity thread helped me feel better about everything.

• Like Like x 3
    13. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I think both,
      its good to have this community so you can relate to other people and help each other.
      there are some post that are scary, but you have to understand that some people have it real bad.
      and that everybody have different reactions to problems just like any other condition.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      This is a wonderful and supportive community for tinnitus sufferers. Some of us who are long-term members are here to help and support new people, and offer advice to those who are hurting or feel that no one else understands their condition. I believe that if any new advances in tinnitus research occur, we'll be the first to hear about it here!

Thanks for providing this poll. It's a great idea!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. HiThere

HiThere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1975
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Delivery by forceps? Childhood ear infections?
      I don't know if "scare" is the word I'd use, but for me it helps and inadvertently hinders.

Helps because I can share my experience with people who actually have my condition and know what I deal with. that is a help.

Hindrance in that the more I'm aware of my Tinnitus and Hyperacusis, the worse it is and/or the harder it is for me to habituate. I have had tinnitus all my life so thankfully I have accepted it on some level. As such, I like the idea of getting/using maskers but, I'm also afraid that my tinnitus would be much more acute when I would have the maskers off.

Chris

16. NineNails

NineNails Member

Where else to go and talk to? T essentially doesn't exist in society, and physicians just shrug it off.

• Genius Genius x 1
    17. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Try to focus on the positive and you will find TT quite a comforting place to visit. Here you are never alone and members understand your struggle. Here you will find many caring people who spend time selflessly to help out even strangers across the globe. Here you can rant and find answers. You can read many success stories to know that life can be good again for many people with T. But I understand when T is new, any posts implying suicide ideations will scare new members. Unfortunately this is just a fact of life. As a support forum, there will always be posts from really struggling members. This is not unique to TT but every forum dealing with tough, chronic aliments will have these kind of posts. So try not focus on the negative aspect of support forum. Instead, focus on the positives and get the most out of resources and the caring people on TT.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It wasn't you who made the poll? Who changed the question to an actual poll, the staff?

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I did that.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      You were my nr. 1 suspect.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You did a good job. Much better poll than I had. I like that third option.