Poll: Has Your Tinnitus Increased Over Time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jéssica Amorim, Jan 25, 2018.

?

Has your tinnitus increased over time?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For some time I have been living with the tinnitus. I can say that at first it affected me a lot but I learned to live with constant whistling.

However, I have noticed a significant increase in volume, even avoiding loud music, which was the likely cause of my tinnitus.

My question is: Has your tinnitus increased over time?

2. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I've had tinnitus for little over a year now, it has increased quite a bit since onset, but it was due to things out of my control. How significant was this increase?

3. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      From 1 to 10 where was it at , how much it increased? Just curious.

4. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      The first 9 months I suffered physical ear pain with my T...having said that I was a long haul truck driver and the environmental itself lead to extreme noise saturation...after that time it has reduced to its current unmaskable lever and hadn’t changed...mine is tri tonal and modulates slightly...

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have my good days & bad but I would have to say that my T has actually gotten worse in that I now wake up to it more often in the morning. When that happens, my day is pretty much mapped out for itself.

6. MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      Mine has got worse in 3 notable stages.
      At onset I could mask it with light wind outside and only hear it to an annoying degree in a silent room.
      Then randomly 5 months later I had multiple small increases (proabnky due to working in a moderately loud envoronment) .
      Still its was just about maskable by wind outside.
      Then the day before I moved to the big city (3 months after first increase) it spiked, I expected it to die down after 10 seconds as per usual but it never did. This level is now unmaskable unless I'm walking on a busy street.
      Then a few days ago a more sharp pitch at the same volume added itself to the mix.

On top of that I've had visual snow for 3 months. So basically my hobby (music) and work (IT) has been destroyed by these things. :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Yup, I went from Mild T to Moderate (baseline)/Severe, it fluctuates from Moderate to Severe. Reasons are caloric test, vemp, fire alarm (twice), walking on busy road, car muffler, motorcycles passing by, ambulance siren, etc

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try avoiding moderate noises (like that of a vacuum cleaner) for a month.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

@Jéssica Amorim
      Tinnitus that was originally caused by "loud noise" will not usually get worse over time. If it does and there is no underlying medical problem responsible, then the usual cause is exposure to loud sound or headphone use even at low volume. The overuse of hearing protection and avoiding normal everyday sounds can also cause this, due to the "loudness threshold" of the auditory system being lowered which will make it more sensitive to sound, particularly if hyperacusis is present.

Stress, anxiety and negative thinking about tinnitus can also cause it to become more intrusive and this may require counselling with a Hearing Therapist.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What do you mean by the above? Would the sounds made by a vacuum cleaner, blender, hair dryer, lawn mower fall into this category?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes they do but there are exceptions to this. If a person has hyperacusis I advise they use "noise reducing" earplugs when using a vacuum cleaner, blender or hair dryer. When using a lawn mower particularly if it is petrol, then proper Ear defenders should be used. They should also be worn when using electric power tools.

Hyperacusis needs to be treated and the continuing use or overuse of hearing protection to suppress normal everyday sounds, in the home and outside environment will halt the healing process, and often will make the auditory system more sensitive to sound. There are many people in this forum that overuse hearing protection and I believe, it is the main cause of their tinnitus becoming worse. It instils negative thinking, stress and anxiety.

The sooner hyperacusis is dealt with and reducing the use of hearing protection around normal everyday sounds the quicker a person will be habituate and move on with their life.

Michael

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      It's worth mentioning that the poll will present a very skewed picture.

In general, people who have had tinnitus for a time and are using this site are those that have had issues, and likely to have had volume increases.

Those who have had no volume increase and are getting along fine don't tend to search for help, and therefore don't find or use TT.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I voted no. I am not sure though, I think it has increased a little bit since the onset (12 years ago) but it is definitely not a significant change.

14. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      No, went down. So actually I should not be on the forum, but I like to vote because this vote is biased for that reason.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      @Michael Leigh hi how do you get counselling with a Hearing Therapist on the NHS?

16. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      for me improved quite a bit over 2.5 years thanks to LT and some supplements and of course protecting ears very religiously

• Like Like x 1
    17. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yep, mine is getting worse. My T started 11 months ago, and was very mild for a good 6 months. I could sleep no problem. Since then it has increased every few months and is getting worse. I'm now on Mirap to help me sleep at night. My T is quite bizarre and it fluctuates. It can range from Mild to Moderate to Severe. I could have a mild spell for a few days, then I could have a moderate spell for a couple of weeks and a severe spell for a number of days. I have habituated to some of the noises. I have around 6 tones, a static tone, a cicadas tone, low hum tone, low eeeeeeeee tone, a high eeeeeeee tone and a very far away hum. I have habituated to the first 3 tones, but when I get to a stage of habituation, a new tone comes along and causes havoc! I think with time it is inevitable you habituate to a certain tone, but what I find most frustrating is when a new tone comes along and it brings me right back to square 1. It's exhausting! You fight so much, and you get to a good-ish place then BANG!, you're right back to where you started. I've only had my T for 11 months and it has increased 10 fold so I am very worried about what the next few years holds for me. It's daunting to think you have to fight this for the rest of your life. If the same tones stayed, T would not ruin my life. I would have a happy life! Alas :(

• Hug Hug x 3
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is where the two of us will have to agree to disagree. I am convinced that it is a good idea to stay away from all of the above, and not to rely on hearing protection.
      What laser have you been using?

What supplements do you think had helped you?

19. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Do you know how you got your T?

Mine is from over exposure to loud noise. So I avoid loud areas or wear earplugs. My T has actually gotten quite better since its start.

• Like Like x 4
    20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed, you are entitled to your opinion. The following may not apply to you but I've seen it many times in forums and people that have contacted me that follow your approach. It is for this reason many of my posts on my "started threads" address this issue and one which @Ed209 @fishbone and others agree with. Sound avoidance particularly everyday normal sounds instils negative thinking. Over time this can cause stress, anxiety and if one isn't careful phonohobia and misophonia. A member of this forum has developed both these conditions in addition to tinnitus and hyperacusis. I advised this person of the risk of overusing hearing protection and avoiding normal everyday sounds. It got the point where this person wouldn't leave their home.

The member's Audiologist has said, the phonophobia and misophonia is a result of overusing hearing protection and sound avoidance. This person has now been referred for counselling and it's something that could have been avoided.

Michael

PS: I have written at length of the risks of overusing hearing protection and sound avoidance in many of my posts and don't wish to comment further at this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Have a word with your GP and ask to be referred to Audiology. You may have to travel if a Hearing Therapist doesn't practice tinnitus counselling at your local hospital.

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      LOL Some anonymous people contacting you directly, instead of just replying - good story!

Well, here are some people who followed your approach and lived to regret it:

Of course these are just the tip of an iceberg. I remember several weeks last summer when we would get one or more horror stories per Day.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...forum-more-useful-than-your-ents-advice.28006

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      You are posting messages of people reporting an increase after... wearing protection. Isn't it the approach that you recommend Bill?

Oh, and if Michael tells someone it's a good thing to brush their teeth everyday, will you also hold him accountable if those people report a T increase after months of teeth brushing? I mean, you cannot prove that it's one choice or the other that leads to the increase.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Bill Bauer

I am quite disappointed in you Bill, that you treat this matter with such flippancy and also doubt my verasity. I expect this behaviour from members that are well known for their disrespect, when I am talking about such a serious issue. I assure you that I am not making anything up.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Flippancy??? Lack of Seriousness???!?!?

You are giving advice to people that has the potential to ruin their lives. I provided the evidence that your advice is dangerous, and somehow my comment is frivolous?!!?!?

If you are talking about me saying that you got anonymous comments about my advice, then all I was trying to say is that actual comments that all of us can see in context are more useful than anonymous comments that another person got to read. I shouldn't have included the text "good story" in my message. Too bad I can't remove it now. (I wish they were to give us a couple of hours to edit our posts.)

I recommend staying away from noise whenever one can (as hearing protection may provide a False sense of security). The posts that I quoted are evidence that even with earplugs/muffs one might not be safe.
      In the posts that I quoted, people got spikes right away or the next day after doing what Michael advises and getting themselves exposed to loud noises while wearing hearing protection. I am sure that in one or two cases something else might be the culprit, but I don't think this is the case for most of those cases.

• Like Like x 2
    26. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Why do these posts always end up going in this direction? I think we would all agree we are on here working towards the same goal more or less. We all have different methods of dealing with T, some I agree with, some I don’t. It’s for the individual to decide what’s best for them. I take most things with a pinch of salt on here, until we get this miracle cure we have to do the best we can to live a normal life. Just be respectful of each other’s views, I’m all up for debating but since I’ve been on here I very rarely see that, it always ends up with people getting in their own feelings (which is understandable to a certain degree)

Love and peace and all that bollocks :rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 1
    27. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Well, suprise that you were going to abuse that "ENT topic".
      You are getting worse in your arguments, more aggressive as well.
      Yesterday you advised a kid to stop playing on his PS4 because of the fan noise, which is like 40 dB.
      This has gone too far..

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    28. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      How many of these examples were longterm increases versus temporary spikes? Did any other factors contribute, such as noise anxiety or hyperacusis?

I have seen other members quoted as examples before, and then the actual source responds that it was a temporary spike or that they are doing better now. Sometimes member comments are even taken out of context or important details are overlooked (for example, that they suffer from severe hyperacusis).

• Like Like x 1
    29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are quite correct in your diagnoses @JurgenG The person whom you refer, is showing signs of stress and anxiety often assoicated with tinnitus and hyperacusis when they become overbearing. For this reason I withdrew from the conversation...

30. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I always listen to @Bill Bauer for good common sense cautious advice.
      (Where potential damage is concerned,
      too late, is always too bloody late.)
      Where uncomfortable noise is concerned, I either use ear plugs, or if possible, get outa there.

I regularly go to @fishbone when I need a top up to my courage. He is the top man for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2