Poll: Noise-Induced Tinnitus: What Is the Sound of Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinniger, Oct 14, 2017.

?

Noise-induced tinnitus, what is the sound of your tinnitus?

1. Tonal tinnitus, like sinus tone

2. Hissing, like white noise

3. Chirping/cicadas

4. Something else

5. I don't have noise-induced tinnitus

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I am interested in the question of whether noise-induced tinnitus differs from tinnitus, which is not noise-induced.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My tinnitus is a high pitch tinnitus like a gas oven on full and a low drone on top

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Santiago Biagi
      Yeehaw

Santiago Biagi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One exposure on loud club
      Better reframe the poll as you can't choose two sound and then select wich ears.

4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Electric/laser sound, my dvd player makes a sound that is very similar to my T when it reads a dvd :D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My tinnitus is a high pitched hissing sound which is quite common amongst people with tinnitus. It is bilateral and in the centre of my head. It is also variable in intensity. Complete silence, mild, moderate or severe.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hi!

Mine was a hissing sound, long before it became tonal. In fact, I was never really bothered by nor did I know that what I was hearing was tinnitus, not until it became tonal. Before it became tonal and constant, I was able to hear it only temporarily when yawning or clenching my teeth. Whatever hearing loss I had previously, my latest acoustic trauma made it worse. So I am pretty sure that my tinnitus was noise induced.

So there you have it, that's how it has progressed in my case. Hearing loss due to headphone overuse and loud music, followed by static noise, followed by somatic tonal tinnitus and fleeting tinnitus, followed by acoustic trauma, followed by constant tonal tinnitus.

My luck in this unlucky series of events is that my tinnitus is only mild. I hope it stays so and I try to preserve the hearing I have left. But it's not always easy when you are constantly exposed to noisy machinery as soon as you step out the house door.

What's worse is that you can damage your hearing inside your own home. Too much listening to music, game streams, gaming, television, radio, pods, vlogs, movies, streaming movies, talk shows, video calls, voice calls. Then you step out the door to get some sunlight and get to the school or a job, and of course you bring your phone and your "earins" and "airpods" with you, because it's much better to listen to music while you commute than to talk to strangers. It's a lifestyle that consumes us, and most of us don't stop for a second to think about it until it's too late. I know, because I have been there.

Do you have any measurable hearing loss? I see you listed smoke detector alarm as a possible cause. That could very much be what has caused your tinnitus. Assuming you have excluded other possibilities. Noise related tinnitus is most commonly caused by loud and sudden sounds. I know smoke alarms are very loud, and the sound they produce is like ear piercing. At least the ones I have had were like that. I would normally just listen to them for no more than a second, when testing them each year. Listening to them any longer than that would make my head explode. That's what it felt like, before I even had tinnitus. I no longer test them, and just pray and hope that I never have a fire at home, or at work.

When you get down to it, I think the character of the tinnitus will depend on things like what part of the hearing range is impaired and how severe it is. But it is more caused by nerve damage than hair cell damage, and by neural network changes at the brain level.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ok, not representative, but 9:4 for hissing..., - interesting...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe the "sound" of tinnitus is so unspecific that a differentiation between beeps and hissing makes no sense...??...

9. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Honestly mine is impossible to describe.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With no attention paid to it, it tends to be a background hiss. Any amount of conscious interaction tends to turn it into more of a high pitched whine. So, in my case, it interacts very directly with cognitive skills and consciousness at a fundamental level which makes it pretty hard to answer this question. In general I'd say "sssss eeeeee chirp", a hiss and a CRT monitor whine and crickets all at once -- it is all of these things, yet none of them.

• Like Like x 1
    11. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have both, right ear pure tone with hiss and my left ear hissing but it seems it is developing pure tone also

12. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      My repertoire:
      1)A set of tones. One of them is my main tinnitus sound and it fluctuates. Can't count them cause it's a weird mix when I focus on it. I suppose 4 tones. The are not always present altogether.
      2) a high pitch hissing which fluctuates a lot.
      3) a Morse code part that is reactive.
      4) a low frequency spaceship sound which is the worst. It literally "fills" my head.
      5) my latest fax machine sound.

+ when I listen to music, white noise and certain sounds, I get those whistles. This is worse then the regular tinnitus and I wish I can get rid of it.

This forum is the only place where people actually could relate. I know nobody in person with these symptoms.

• Hug Hug x 5
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      22:4 for hissing. Maybe it is not true, that noise-induced tinnitus makes a tonal sound of xxxx kHz ?? :dunno:

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is my understanding that as the body heals, it is often able to change tonal sound to hissing. My T began as a tonal sound, then changed to hissing, and then was back to a high pitched tone after a second acoustic trauma.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      I have multiple sounds, some tonal, some hissing/electrical, some clicks and pops, some constant and some intermittent, in varying degrees of loudness, in both ears. Always was an overachiever... :wacky:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      OK, that outdoes me. :) At least mine's not reactive. On the other hand, I used to get a low-pitched humming sound in both ears when I shook my head vigorously. That's disappeared since I started taking NR.

17. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      NR?
      Wow you're just another person with many many sounds. Nice to meet you :)

18. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      NR is nicotinamide riboside, related to vitamin B3 and a precursor to NAD+ which is essential for cellular metabolism and which lessens as we age. There is a discussion about it in the Alternative Treatments section. It is apparently starting to reverse some of my hearing loss, as well as reducing the frequency of my migraines. I'm even giving it to a pet bird that has fatty liver disease. I hope that long term it will do something to improve my tinnitus as well - I guess maybe it is already is doing something since one of my sounds is gone.

Aren't all those sounds amazing? The only good thing is that I can count on it changing soon if it's being particularly obnoxious... ;)

19. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you. I'll take a look on that thread.

Sometimes i can't believe that i have so much noise in my head. Apparently i lost the count. And if you imagine that it only begun as a slight ringing in my right ear. Is this ever gonna stop evolving?

20. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      That's exactly how mine started. I developed other, minor neurological complaints around the same time, so I suspect the real problem is in my brain and not in my ears. NR is supposed to be neuro-protective and it seems to be helping in that department, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

21. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      man why do i gotta have a tone....i would think a hiss is better :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hiss is better as long as it is a mild hiss. I had a hiss and thought nothing of it. Tinnitus? What's tinnitus? That didn't even register as tinnitus for me. Until I got more damage and further degeneration of structures that were originally damaged in my ears. That's when it turned into tonal and I started to freak out when I realized I have tinnitus. But I am still lucky enough to have a mild form of it. So you can imagine I am taking better care of my ears now.

23. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      It is, but it often originates in the ear.

24. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My tinnitus is a high pressure hiss with a additional drone on top.
      Drives me insaign till I get my hearing aids in and show my ears who's the boss then I don't think about my tinnitus all day :):):)
      Im my happy bubbly self again...
      Love glynis

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What happened?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I got blasted by a sudden, very loud noise through my headphones, caused by faulty audio device. Acoustic trauma!

It was not much of a blast, not the kind of pressure wave you get from an explosive device detonation that raptures your ear drum. But it was a traumatic event nevertheless, and it is most definitely the cause of my tinnitus. Or the worsening of it I should say. I was into music a lot before that, so I had my share of noise exposure even before that.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      up

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      32:9 for hissing!! Still surprising. Maybe it is not true, that noise-induced tinnitus makes a tonal sound of xxxx kHz ?? :dunno:

29. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The cause likely does not matter as much as where the damage lies. Is it high or low frequency hair cell damage? How much auditory nerve damage was sustained?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced tinnitus is always high frequency hair cell damage. Low frequency tinnitus is typical at M. Meniere...