Poll: Tympanometry / Acoustic Reflex — Did You Experience A Spike in Your Tinnitus Afterwards?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill_, Dec 29, 2018.

?

Did you experience a worsening in your tinnitus after tympanometry / acoustic reflex test?

1. I had no negative effects

2. I had a temporary spike < 1 week

3. I had a temporary spike > 1 week

4. I have permanent damage / spike

5. I haven't had these tests done

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Are you sure it was JUST tympanometry? Only sound of air in your ear? No acoustic reflex test? No beeps?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Going to audiologist next week to have a new audiogram done.
      I'm debating whether I should do a new tympanometry. ENT suspects that I might have ETD. I have allergies and deviated septum. My nostrils feel a bit blocked all the time.
      I have low frequency sound and Morse code in my left ear. I'm not sure if it's from TTTS or ETD. It comes and goes.

Is it worth doing tympanometry if there's a possible ETD diagnosis?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      I‘d say: no. I probably have mild ETD too. But now I have SEVERE tinnitus on top of that because of the tympanometry. So definitely not worth it.

4. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      Kann es sein, dass wir alle drei (chaLLas, Bill Bauer und ich) bei dersselben Ärztin waren? ;)

Did you have tympanometry alone or tympanometry together with acoustic reflex test? The last weeks I thought the thing I had was called tympanometry, but since some people wrote, that their tympanometry was without noises and after reading the post of iGl0CK I assume, that it the acoustic reflex test, which caused the damage. They bend the ear drum, which probably causes the bad hearing.

5. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      I only had beeps and no air sounds. My ENT called that tympanometry. They put earbuds in my ears and played a pretty loud, repeating sound for about one minute each side. Well it was not really beeps ... it sounded like an x-wing shooting his laser cannon, if anyone knows what I mean^^

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      Air pressure changing = Typmanometry
      Beeps and Noises = Acoustic Reflex Test

Like the user iGloCK said before, most ENT combine these two test together and only call it "Tympanometry" and do both in one. Ocassionally, they perform a Acoustic Reflex Test on me, without telling it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Könnte man fast annehmen.... :/

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was an acoustic reflex test. It can go up to 90 db. Very risky. Some people get tinnitus from this test alone without any previous noise exposure.
      As @Marceline said most ENT combine these test together.

9. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I saw your post before. Did they do acoustic reflex test on you too? Or was it just tympanometry that caused your issues?

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      They did the air pressure thing and loud noises to me. I thought It was only tympanometry, but since I read that, the loud noises aren't part of the tympanometry, I assume, they did typmanometry + acoustic reflex test together.

43 Days and the nightmare continues...

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also found out only by VERY explicitly asking that they tend to do tympanometry and acoustic reflex as a 2-in-1.

I declined the test to be done on my right ear so that might have at least saved a bit of my hearing. I definitely hear the new noises more on the left.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry if I missed anything, but didn't they perform some sort of acoustic reflex test after all? Did you hear the beeps and tones? Or was it just sound of air?

I'm seriously considering doing another tympanometry, because it feels like low frequency sound is getting worse and on top of that sometimes I hear a sound of water running down the pipes in both ears. Very weird and it's unrelated to noise exposure. It comes and goes. I also started hearing an intermittent tone in my right ear just like I heard when tinnitus was only starting in the left ear. Hissing in right ear has increased too. I'm very worried it might be ETD.

When I first did an audiogram it showed 35 db conductive loss in my left ear at 8000 hz with 5 db through the bone. And some minor conductive dips at lower frequencies meaning it might have been some mechanical issue.
      I had noise exposure before that (headphones and motorcycles) that could cause tinnitus, but I've never heard of anyone getting unilateral conductive hearing loss from acoustic trauma.

I'm very worried.

13. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow that's awful. Did you consider HBOT? You're within the timeframe when it might be effective.
      Did you get better?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They did acoustic reflex on one ear and tympanometry on both. Left ear is definitely worse a bit but I think right ear is affected as well. Also there’s reports of people having their damage only from pure tympanometry.
      Your call....

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It's ironic that to assess hearing loss or, even wores, hyperacusis, the only tests available are super loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Zeigt wohl einfach eher auf, dass HNO's international gefährlich sind^^ Ich vertraue jedenfalls keinem Arzt mehr blind, solange ich die Möglichkeit habe, mich vorher zu informieren.

That's what I could not imagine before all that happened ... I thought the process to test your ears must be save, otherwise... what sense would it all make ? Well ... my trust in ENT's is completely gone

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hello all.
      I had the 2 in 1 acoustic reflex and tymp test late September 2018. It didn't cause an increase in my tinnitus but created a new ear dysfunction. Both ears would pop and click to certain sounds. As of today, my right ear is a lot better but my left only mildly better in regards to the popping and clicking.
      Unfortunately this incident has made me highly doubtful of ENTs and their medical help.
      Wishing everyone comfort with this terrible affliction.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Ear tests damaged my hearing and I also have ear popping, clicking, whooshing, etc.
      Even though those tests are 100db and last 60 seconds, it is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage and permanent H and T.

19. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      Marcy is afraid :( It's 53 day nows. But at least you said:
      so it gets "mildly" better, but at least a little bit better. That's a beginning at least.
      In my case, it's as bad as it was on 11/22/2018 and no improvement since that day.

It's ironic, because I never had problems with hearing loss before I did this test. My problem was, that I heard too good. I remember when I was in cinema, the first time, in "Disney's Treasure Island" as a 5-year old and went to the staff and asked them to turn down the volume. Now it's the other way round, I hear too bad.

I would consider all ENTs as devils in diguise, they just don't know. Of course, the tympanometry-device was tested - by normal people. But have they ever done tests with T- and H-people?

20. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Avoid if possible. I have had this done before and would get temporary spikes.

Once had a German ENT in Dubai do one, and I have no idea if he was inexperienced or not... but it felt like my eardrum was being pulled right ouy... don't know if the spike meant a new baseline, but it took me months to get accustomed to.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      Maybe that's it what caused the hearing loss. In my case, it also felt like my eardrum would explode from the inside.

Due to fact, that they did Acoustic Reflex Test and Tympanometry 2 in 1, at the same time, I can't really tell, what caused my hearing loss.

It's so weird, I never ever ever experienced hearing loss before. And due to the fact, that I avoid all kind of loud noises, clubs and concerts, I never ever ever thought, I would suffer from hearing loss for the rest of my life.

It don't feel pain, because my haircells are so damaged now, that they can't feel anything. They just lying around in my ear now, like a cemetry.

I can't even hear my Professors in university now, on my right ear. And they're talking with extreme loud microphones and emphasizer boxes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Reflex, Ecog, Cvemp, Microsuction, Caloric, etc can cause/worsen Tinnitus. I still have T and H do this day both are severe, they are sadly permanent now. One year has passed from when I did the tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do your ears still pop or click to certain sounds? When I hear loud sounds I hear a pop and I'm not sure if that's something bad.

24. Jenny_S

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi @rdz
      My left does and not just to loud sounds (left ear is my noise-induced tinnitus ear so is damaged). My right ear pops to sound very rarely these days so feel it is healing. From what I have read, ears popping to sound can be a symptom of Hyperacusis.

25. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's most likely TTTS.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23571302/

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Jenny_S

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thank you @Arseny for the link. I'm planning on seeking professional help when I return to my home country to get a diagnosis...or confirm your thinking :)
      P.S. Is the corgi in your profile picture yours? If so, absolutely adorable!

27. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too late now...we damaged our inner hair cells from those tests. Permanent H and T for us :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think I fell foul to the same thing yesterday. I thought I was having only ear pressure Tympanometry but loud beeps were playing. My tinnitus flared up badly. Hoping it settles. I went to ENT because of worsened tinnitus due to COVID-19. Now I have even worse tinnitus due to this test, I believe.

• Hug Hug x 3
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t know if this helps you but my tinnitus eventually did get better after a few months. The refrigerator hum is basically gone. Still got tinnitus obviously but it’s really not as bad as I initially feared.

30. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Always good to know it can improve with time. Hyperacusis has come back a bit but doing my best to ignore it and expose myself to normal everyday sounds.